PDA

View Full Version : 100 year flood in my town...

Jmoozy27
08-13-2016, 12:50 PM
Vermilion River is at major flood stage. 10' is flood stage. It's at 18' currently.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=233985&stc=1http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=233986&stc=1http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=233987&stc=1http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=233988&stc=1

sledcrazyinCT
08-13-2016, 02:03 PM
Hope all your family and property are on high ground !!

Jmoozy27
08-13-2016, 02:52 PM
Hope all your family and property are on high ground !!

The highest elevation is 44' above sea level. My home sits at 38' so we should be good. There is still more rain to come and there is many people with water in their homes. The last time the river got this high was in 1940. It was at 25' which is about seven feet higher than it is currently. Needless to say that the population in 1940 was about 5-10% the size as it is now.

Had to basically rescue my oldest daughter from her friends house this morning. People are stubborn down here. I offered to take the other girls and parents to our house but they stayed even though all of their neighbors homes were already flooded. We've got nearly 20' of rainfall in the last 36 hrs. Crazy...

Dirtcrasher
08-13-2016, 10:27 PM
Glad your okay buddy. I'd hate to overcome a loss like some will....

Jmoozy27
08-13-2016, 10:39 PM
There is still a lot of people in need of rescue. Local sheriff office is handling everything on a case by case basis. They haven't asked for any volunteers. I'm trained in water rescue and familiar with my area. I'll be up at sunlight looking to help people. As for tonight, been a long day, when all else fails, cook a gumbo.233996

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Camexican
08-13-2016, 11:07 PM
Be safe Buddy.

atc007
08-14-2016, 07:12 AM
Take care and be safe man. Water is a relentless trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro.It ruins everything.

manbearpig
08-14-2016, 11:09 AM
Huge bummer. Glad you're safe

Another member' home in Zachary is flooded too. lost his cars, bikes, tools... everything is under water. At least he, his family, and his animals are safe.

RamsesRibb
08-14-2016, 11:29 AM
That's terrible. I'm 30 min from Zachary. I have family that's been stuck inside over there but no home damage yet I don't think.
There are people that's been stuck on the interstate since yesterday on little islands waiting to be rescued. On top of that all AT&T phone service is off.

sledcrazyinCT
08-14-2016, 12:58 PM
Of course when a cell phone would be helpful in an emergency the towers are down.

jonolanracin
08-14-2016, 10:38 PM
I know how aweful floods are in 2011 it flooded hete the worse ever and we lost our house shop everything we moved out so we got to save our posessions so that was good but losing you family home of 50 years is hard i so hope you get lucky and stay high and dry good luck to you. If i was smart enough id post pics of our flood but i not computer litterate lol

Jmoozy27
08-15-2016, 12:04 AM
I know how aweful floods are in 2011 it flooded hete the worse ever and we lost our house shop everything we moved out so we got to save our posessions so that was good but losing you family home of 50 years is hard i so hope you get lucky and stay high and dry good luck to you. If i was smart enough id post pics of our flood but i not computer litterate lol

I remember 2011, that was insane. Definitely the hottest summer I've ever experienced. If I remember correctly Louisiana and Texas were in a drought and the rivers and bayous still rose.

YTZ drew
08-15-2016, 10:01 AM
I'm relieved to hear that your home is high enough to stay above water. Good luck, and be safe!

coolpool
08-15-2016, 07:14 PM
Don't float away bud, I need somewhere to go next year on vacation. Stay safe.

Mr. Clean
08-16-2016, 06:34 PM
Sorry to see and hear this Jmoozy, prayers to you and your community. I see there is a disturbance out in the Atlantic forming that may become tropical, need to keep an eye on that for sure!!

Jmoozy27
08-16-2016, 06:42 PM
Don't float away bud, I need somewhere to go next year on vacation. Stay safe.

Not to worry Pete, my home and family is high and dry. There are many less fortunate than myself. Our communities and businesses are really pulling together to help those in need. I spent all of Sunday morning performing rescues in flooded neighborhoods before being called to work. It's just crazy how fast all of this happened.

Jmoozy27
08-16-2016, 06:47 PM
Sorry to see and hear this Jmoozy, prayers to you and your community. I see there is a disturbance out in the Atlantic forming that may become tropical, need to keep an eye on that for sure!!

Roger that Clean, we still have 2 months of storm season ahead. Storm surge would be catastrophic if indeed a hurricane blows through. We shall pray for the best.

RamsesRibb
08-17-2016, 10:51 AM
The waters are rising in a lot of areas due to flooding tributaries. I've been working in Jennings and they are requesting people evacuate different areas as the Mermentau river is peaking and lake Arthur is starting to flood. Interstate 10 has been closed from Baton Rouge to Crowley. Travel sucks right now.

RamsesRibb
08-17-2016, 10:56 AM
Another thing that bothers me is the amount of psychos running around because of the disaster going on. Someone tried to steal my truck box while I was at the grocery store in the middle of the day but must've gotten scared in the middle and run off. I hear talk of looters all over. We always get the bad one here. Same thing happened after Katrina.
Some guys I talked to said they've been rescuing people in their boats but had to leave because a guy was shooting across the river toward them or at them.

DohcBikes
08-17-2016, 11:02 AM
Another thing that bothers me is the amount of psychos running around because of the disaster going on. Someone tried to steal my truck box while I was at the grocery store in the middle of the day but must've gotten scared in the middle and run off. I hear talk of looters all over. Wait till the economic collapse goes down and all these gung ho civilians that talk about being prepared for civil war are running around starving and shooting each other.

Very glad to hear you are up high enough to stay safe J. Mighty kind of you to help others in need, we would expect no less from you.

Jmoozy27
08-17-2016, 10:21 PM
The waters are rising in a lot of areas due to flooding tributaries. I've been working in Jennings and they are requesting people evacuate different areas as the Mermentau river is peaking and lake Arthur is starting to flood. Interstate 10 has been closed from Baton Rouge to Crowley. Travel sucks right now.

Right on, I've been at the Walmarks:wondering in crowley since Sunday. Backwater flooding from Bayou Plaquemine caused the oil change bay to fill with water. The oil tank floated and released its contents. The level finally dropped a few inches throughout the day.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=234135&stc=1http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=234136&stc=1http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=234137&stc=1

RamsesRibb
08-19-2016, 01:39 AM
That looks like a big freakin mess.

Dirtcrasher
08-21-2016, 03:13 PM
I'm surprised you were able to get all those pumps!!

Ol Deuce
11-13-2016, 11:16 PM
How did all this mess turn out???? Everything back in order??/Ol Deuce

Jmoozy27
11-14-2016, 05:47 PM
How did all this mess turn out???? Everything back in order??/Ol Deuce

Pretty much so, some are still dealing with the aftermath aka FEMA / insurance companies. But for the most part everything is back to normal. We are actually in a bit of a drought currently.