PDA

View Full Version : ATC 250ES FUEL Everywhere!

djtimpe
08-17-2016, 11:04 PM
I recently replaced the gas tank on my 1984 250ES. I removed the old tank but left the fuel line attached to the carb. When I put the new Clarke tank on I used the original petcock and reattached the fuel hose. The engine did not want to turn over at first but eventually did with a few applications of the choke. A minute later I noticed gas coming from the airbox and hose attached to the bottom of the carb. Please help, thank you

gimmeamidget
08-17-2016, 11:46 PM
Sounds like the float in the carb is not shutting off fuel like it should. Usually it's just small amount of dirt got inside carb and won't let the needle seat all the way and fuel keeps flowing. Sometimes you can lightly tap on the side of the carb and it will stop flowing but more than likely you need to clean carb.

RubberSalt
08-18-2016, 04:02 PM
Definitely needle not seating. Be it dirty needle/seat or stuck floats. I'd go with the tapping method to see if that helps. If not, cleaning the carb out should do it. A spec of dirt or even large dust can cause them not to seat. Gas will run everywhere if the petcock is left on... I had fresh fuel mix fill the entire engine and exhaust pipe on my Tecate once. Whoops. lol

Before earing apart, turn the fuel screw all the way in and count the turns it takes. Youll want to set this back to the same spot when your done. The same goes for any other adjustments/screws.

If the carb is dirty on the outside, clean it up before pulling it apart. It saves so much time when trying to clean the inside of something dirty.
Grab a can of carburetor cleaner, and pull it apart. Spray thoroughly through all the holes. Wear glasses, this stuff will find holes that always point at your eyes! lol
Dry well.

If you wash it with water and are not installing and filling with gasoline immediately, spray the inside down with wd40. The aluminum will calcify very bad internally. This makes for white crusty worthless carburetors.

Mackus84
08-18-2016, 04:59 PM
Only time i have had that happen, it was my float sticking.

AK47KID
11-22-2016, 11:40 PM
I recently replaced the gas tank on my 1984 250ES. I removed the old tank but left the fuel line attached to the carb. When I put the new Clarke tank on I used the original petcock and reattached the fuel hose. The engine did not want to turn over at first but eventually did with a few applications of the choke. A minute later I noticed gas coming from the airbox and hose attached to the bottom of the carb. Please help, thank you
There is no 84 250es

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk