PDA

View Full Version : 1982 Honda 200 help needed please!

srtimm
08-24-2016, 11:16 PM
Good evening all,

First post actually, have wanted a three wheeler for an eternity and finally picked one up! I have spent quite a bit of time on the forums digging around and have tried just about everything i have found thats related to my problem, sorry if this has been covered in the past :wondering. There was a few minor issues with it when I purchased it, of which i was not overly concerned. I am not an expert on motors but I can tear down and fix just about anything motor related. Diagnoses is my issue... Anyways... the trike started on first pull but only ran well with the choke on (everything else that was wrong with it i have already taken care of).

Got it home and took the carb off, cleaned it the best i could. after the cleaning it idled extremely high, pretty much revving out of control (plunger was in correct position). Ordered a replacement carb off of suggestions i found in other forums as i had checked for vacuum leaks and did not locate any. While i was waiting for that to come i reset the valve clearance to spec, timing was a little off so i fixed that, was missing the pre-cleaner on the air filter and replaced that and then the new carb showed up. Installed the new carb, fired up on the first pull, set pilot screw and idle, things were great, i took it out on some trails. Ran outstanding for the first little bit and then suddenly died while driving. would not fire back up without choke on and multiple pulls. drove it back to the truck and figured i would take a look.

Here's whats going on: machine takes multiple pulls to fire up with choke on. once it gets running it will idle down just fine. With the choke on, the machine has all sorts of punch. With the choke off, the machine lags in the throttle. if i give it a semi quick push of the throttle it begins to stutter around 1/4 throttle to 3/4 throttle then at full throttle it picks back up. I pulled muffler off tonight to see if there was any plugs in it restricting airflow as that ultimately was the solution to the story i had found on the forums after a ton of other trial and error. Unfortunately it ran the same... if i gradually apply the throttle it does not miss a beat. but the moment i push the throttle in too fast within that range it falters and rpms drop. i am at a loss at this point. would it be best to get a rebuild kit for the original carb and try putting that back on? i would like to add that i did replace the spark plug when i got it. i pulled that tonight as well, it was wet and black. i have not checked compression at this point but motor runs extremely strong with choke on and didnt think that was the issue, probably wrong about that...

I'm sorry for the novel i have just written but i wanted to give all the back round i could on what i have done. Please Please help!!

Thank you,
Steve

yaegerb
08-24-2016, 11:46 PM
Good evening all,

First post actually, have wanted a three wheeler for an eternity and finally picked one up! I have spent quite a bit of time on the forums digging around and have tried just about everything i have found thats related to my problem, sorry if this has been covered in the past :wondering. There was a few minor issues with it when I purchased it, of which i was not overly concerned. I am not an expert on motors but I can tear down and fix just about anything motor related. Diagnoses is my issue... Anyways... the trike started on first pull but only ran well with the choke on (everything else that was wrong with it i have already taken care of).

Got it home and took the carb off, cleaned it the best i could. after the cleaning it idled extremely high, pretty much revving out of control (plunger was in correct position). Ordered a replacement carb off of suggestions i found in other forums as i had checked for vacuum leaks and did not locate any. While i was waiting for that to come i reset the valve clearance to spec, timing was a little off so i fixed that, was missing the pre-cleaner on the air filter and replaced that and then the new carb showed up. Installed the new carb, fired up on the first pull, set pilot screw and idle, things were great, i took it out on some trails. Ran outstanding for the first little bit and then suddenly died while driving. would not fire back up without choke on and multiple pulls. drove it back to the truck and figured i would take a look.

Here's whats going on: machine takes multiple pulls to fire up with choke on. once it gets running it will idle down just fine. With the choke on, the machine has all sorts of punch. With the choke off, the machine lags in the throttle. if i give it a semi quick push of the throttle it begins to stutter around 1/4 throttle to 3/4 throttle then at full throttle it picks back up. I pulled muffler off tonight to see if there was any plugs in it restricting airflow as that ultimately was the solution to the story i had found on the forums after a ton of other trial and error. Unfortunately it ran the same... if i gradually apply the throttle it does not miss a beat. but the moment i push the throttle in too fast within that range it falters and rpms drop. i am at a loss at this point. would it be best to get a rebuild kit for the original carb and try putting that back on? i would like to add that i did replace the spark plug when i got it. i pulled that tonight as well, it was wet and black. i have not checked compression at this point but motor runs extremely strong with choke on and didnt think that was the issue, probably wrong about that...

I'm sorry for the novel i have just written but i wanted to give all the back round i could on what i have done. Please Please help!!

Thank you,
Steve

Welcome and good first post with taking the time to try and figure things out and doing research yourself. In my experience the newer versions on eBay are very finicky, but you aren't out much money. Honestly I wouldn't mess with the newer carb. I would recommend a rebuild kit on your OEM unit (see kit below) If you like I can rebuild it for you. PM me if interested. It will be a quick turnaround.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/201124736300

rectifier
08-25-2016, 12:20 AM
This could be a dumb suggestion or a brilliant one. When I went to ride my ATC for the first time this year, I had the same symptoms. There's a chance this happened to you as your plug is indeed wet and black, which it should not be if running lean and needing choke.

I forgot that the choke is on when the lever is UP on these bikes. I was running full choke when I thought the lever was in operating position. Duhh

srtimm
08-25-2016, 12:24 AM
Thank you very much for the link on the carb kit, i will certainly reach out to you in regards to the rebuild.

srtimm
08-25-2016, 12:32 AM
Not at all, i appreciate the input rectifier! i very much wish this was the case and i could call this one a success... However, the position of the choke lever has been correct during operation/starting. if anything else comes to mind please send your suggestions, thanks again!

Steve

DohcBikes
08-27-2016, 03:28 PM
Yes, recheck your timing and valve adjustment.

It was running great, then something happened suddenly.

Are you running a fuel filter?

Whats the inside of your tank look like?

Did you replace the plug again?

Have you checked to see if there is any debris in the carb bowl?

Rob Canadian
08-28-2016, 09:23 PM
Wonder why it idled so high after you cleaned the original carb(?) I seem to think maybe the routing of the cable... Heard some stuff about the aftermarket carbs and jet sizing. Jetted too small.

One other thing to check is flow to the carb from the tank. Fuel line is cheap.

srtimm
08-29-2016, 08:11 PM
Good evening everyone. Thank you all for your suggestions and replies, i greatly appreciate it. I wanted to send an update as the problem has been solved! However, in response to everyone that took the time to post suggestions, i wanted to at least reply.

ATC KING - i rechecked the valves to make sure i set everything to spec and both were correct as recommended in the Honda manual. But i will keep this in my tool bag for future issues!

DOHC bikes- when i rechecked the valves i rechecked the timing as well. everything was as it should be per the Honda manual. I am not running a fuel filter as the tank is an aftermarket plastic tank and very clean. I have cleaned the plug but will be throwing in a new one as they are cheap. There was no debris in the carb bowl of the OEM carb. I did not check this in the aftermarket though.

Rob Canadien - i cannot say either, it appears the problem was with the aftermarket carb. Fuel line is clean and clear as well.

Now for the final fix****
it was the aftermarket carb. Per yaegerb's advice i rebuilt the OEM carb with the shindy carb kit. After some further cleaning and soaking i installed the new kit, adjusted the carb to factory spec and tried firing it up. It took a little convincing to start the first go around but after some adjustment on the pilot and idle screws it fires up first pull and has all the throttle response it should and idles great. I will put a new plug in and check it for wetness, color, etc... to make sure all is as it should be.

One thing that i wanted to note on the aftermarket carb is that when i adjusted the pilot screw there was absolutely no change in RPM. The turn it in until it starts to slow in RPM and out until it starts to slow in RPM and then set it in the middle was impossible with this unit. Should have known this was the issue sooner, but thats how you learn i guess.

again thank you all for your help, advice, responses. I hope this thread helps someone in the future as much as it's helped me.

Steve