PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Yamaha 225dr idle problems

Milesvdustin
09-01-2016, 07:10 PM
I grabbed this trike the other day and it only idles with the choke halfway on. It revs up great and rides around, but wont idle without choke. It will die out after about 30 seconds idling on choke.

I took the carb apart, relatively clean, the tiny jet right at the outlet of the carb is marked D and it was screwed all the way in until it stopped. The main jet says 85 and says R with a square on it. The slide says 3.5 and has the same square. The needle is set one up from the pointed tip end. It has a square and 500 i think after. The small jet next to the main (middle one) is marked with the square and 20.

All the passages are clean, i can see light through all the jets and nozzles, and cleaner sprays through all passages. I am trying to download the clymer manual from oscarmayer but its a big file.

Any common fixes for this?

Milesvdustin
09-01-2016, 09:50 PM
I cleaned it up a bit with spray cleaner, still has issues idling without the choke half on. Once you are going, choke on or off this thing FLIES!!!!!!! My wife thought i was insane, it wheelies like there is no tomorrow! However, i want it to start easier and be able to idle on its own.

I also tried to adjust the clutch, the center screw does not turn but 1/16th of an inch with the locknut loose. Thoughts?

Milesvdustin
09-02-2016, 12:30 AM
So the air filter has a sock with some oil duct taped to the filter frame. It also does not appear to connect to the inside of the air box, its almost like i am missing part? And the needle marked D i guess is my air fuel mixture.

mostlyxs
09-02-2016, 06:58 PM
I would suggest you locate the service manuals section of this website, look at the Yamaha parts breakdown, like found for my YTM225DXL, go to the intake filter box blown-up view,
and you'll see the cylindrical support, the foam sleeve, and the back plate, parts 6,7&8. These are compressed by the rear box plate against the front of the box, sealing it off.
Without this complete assembly inside the box, there is insufficient vacuum produced in the carb to properly assist in drawing fuel thru all the passages and orifices in the carb ...
thus your idle is unstable.
You were probably sincere when you said there was a sock slipped over/duct taped to the support cylinder! I've seen similar substitutions for a disintegrating foam sleeve before.
I suggest you review the blowup drawing and find the part number for the back plate that closes off the cylinder and supports it by resting on the rear plate baffles.
Then you might try hyper parts.com for the inexpensive foam sleeve. wish you success in restoring quality performance.
John in Texas