PDA

View Full Version : Not able to get to idle

Newrider
09-04-2016, 04:31 PM
Hey guys... I've been having trouble with my 3wheeler idling I had bought a Chinese carb after I bought the bike and realized today that I should have listened when I was told it was junk because I couldn't get the bike running well so I put the old carb right back on and it runs good I have to give it a little throttle when starting it.. I adjusted the air fuel screw ..it will run through the gears and has power but woulnt idle and some times when in neutral I give it gas and it just revs up really high ND even after I let off the throttle it continues to stay at a high rev but if I throw it in first it idles back down.. I don't know where to start with what jet to change.. I'll take any and all info to fix this problem

gimmeamidget
09-04-2016, 05:09 PM
Carb kit is under 20 bucks. The slow jet passage is very small and hard to get clean so I just replace with new jets.

fabiodriven
09-04-2016, 05:59 PM
You don't always have to replace jets, but it certainly can happen. You have to get into that carburetor and ensure every single little passage is open. Many times there will be multiple tiny low speed orifices in the venturi and all of them must be open. Almost any jet can be saved if you have small enough drill bits.

Newrider
09-04-2016, 06:03 PM
It's a keihin carb.. My question is are the jets universal if I order a jet kit?

Newrider
09-04-2016, 07:50 PM
Or my Chinese mikuni carb could I just rob the jets from that?

Newrider
09-04-2016, 08:04 PM
I just looked up jet kits and I plan on ordering one just not sure what one to pick up cause I don't know what my carb came off of it was the one I bought with the bike and it's a 200s motor on a 200x frame with different parts from random bikes but it does look decent I put alot of money and time into it.. And I believe it will be just what I imagined It could be as soon as this thing idles because I love the way it rides!! 234593

Rob Canadian
09-04-2016, 08:06 PM
Work with the OEM carb. Make sure it is clean.

What trike are you working on? Year? Model?

Newrider
09-04-2016, 08:11 PM
I don't have the oem carb.. All I know is I have a keihin carb on it it's a 1985 200x frame with a 200s motor.. Auto x

fieldy
09-04-2016, 08:17 PM
The model of carburetor would have specific style of jets. Its 30 years old too. The manual will tell what model it should be. Manuals are available on here free. You could call a company named jets r us they would know. Or search" buy keihn jets". If they are outdated you may find some on ebay or a local dealer. They may be easy to find. Ive rebuilt Mikunis and not replaced jets.
Like mentoned above, clean and blow compressed air in every pinhole on that carburetor. If theres alot of tarnish in the carb, you may need to soak the carb. I would check the throttle cable and turn back and forth to see if it catches on anything and look at the big spring above the carb slide if you havent already. Just some basic stuff that you might not notice easily. I doubt you would need new jets if it used to run good. I think a 200s manual is where to start, it will show carburetor and jets. Good luck

Rob Canadian
09-04-2016, 08:56 PM
^

Yes. I wonder about the throttle cable and routing. Kinda sounds like it its hanging up. High idle....

As far as starting and a little throttle? Is that a big deal?

fabiodriven
09-04-2016, 09:06 PM
Whatever it wants to start. Some like idle, some like wide open. When you get good at tuning most bikes will start at idle.

Newrider
09-04-2016, 09:24 PM
gassing at start up isn't a big deal at all .. But it's a pull start engine and it does when ever I'm not giving it gas.. I'm gonna break down and clean the carb tommorow.. Also thanks for the tips about the throttle hanging up because were the 2 rubber pieces meet and connect I kept noticing they were pulling apart and I didn't think nothing of it till now because I automatically believed it was a problem with the jets not being right.. I'll let you all know how I make out tomorrow.. Thanks guys.. I'm no mechanic but this bike taught me a hell of alot.. I learned not only what to do but also what not to do

fieldy
09-05-2016, 02:54 AM
If the cable is not worth saving and you can still buy one, cut or disconnect the cable from thumb throttle lever and try to see if the motor acts better by working the slide by pulling on the cable instead of pushing the thumb throttle. You may have to cut the plastic cable cover away from the metal cable that actually pulls the slide open in the top of the carburetor.
Maybe even cut the cable and do that a foot from the carburetor. This will let you still operate the motor in the shop while you wait on the new cable, if one is available. Now make sure the cable is junk before doing that, lol.
You have a good attitude, thats a great attribute. Learn every day, all day! Sure wish you sucess in solving the problem. The problem may be something totally different, just keep investigating and have patience.

deejaycee_2000
09-05-2016, 04:48 AM
Jets gum up very quickly if a carb is left with fuel in for a long time. Cleaning jets like that can be a nightmare, I found that soaking them in carb cleaner over night and then poking each hole with the thinnest steel guitar string you can find will sort it out no problem. An ear bud with metal polish on your drill end is also a great way to clean out your needle's seat.

Newrider
09-05-2016, 07:41 PM
Yes you were right it's right where the carb and the throttle cable meet just outside the carb.. Were they seat with each other at the rubber pieces keep pulling away from each other and getting stuck apart.. Now I need to try to fix this.. I'm kinda atuckbin what to do.. I have my jets soaking over night

Newrider
09-06-2016, 08:03 PM
Well it's to late to start the bike.. It's to loud and I don't want to disturb the neighborhood but I got my jets as clean as possible using carb cleaner to let them soak then a small guitar string.. Thankfully my sister plays guitar and I borrowed her old strings the smallest one seamed to work good.. I hope I have this last problem solved.. I also ran the bike yesterday changed the oil and then ran it a little more and changed the oil again ..real clean!!! I used 10-40 motorcycle oil

deejaycee_2000
09-07-2016, 03:00 AM
Let us know what happens ....