PDA

View Full Version : I'm new, and yes, I have a question

bbechtel16
10-04-2002, 04:05 PM
I'm thinking about buying a friend's ATC 250SX and he doesnt have the reverse switch and brake assembly and such for it but I really want reverse (it's there, might as well use it) I'm pretty sure you can rig the reverse interlock so that it's always engaged, so you can just kick it right into reverse. Is this true? If so tell me how to do it please.

Thanks,

ATCRYDER
10-04-2002, 04:54 PM
Welcome to the board, my friend.

a 250SX is an excellent 1st trike; Its no sreamer but when you get better at riding, you will love the power.

Instead of doing any of that half ass bullcrap I see so often, hop over to www.ebay.com and find yourself a rear brake lever (the reverse button is on that) and install it. Its very simple to do...if youve ever installed a lever on a bicycle, its that easy.

Good luck,
Rob

bbechtel16
10-04-2002, 06:02 PM
But I want to rig it, I want it permanently engaged if possible because the normal interlock or whatever is kinda redundant.

ATCRYDER
10-04-2002, 06:19 PM
WHy in god's name would you want reverse engaged all the time??

reverse is operated by a cable, so I doubt you could "rig it up"...jsut do it the right way.

Rob

jeswinehart
10-04-2002, 07:05 PM
i think your gonna tear something up by screwing around with the reverse cable.
rob is right bbechtel16. get the corect assembly and you will not regret it. the sx i had worked just fine and can't think of any improvements that should be made. in fact the big red i ride now is the same set up and there again,,, works just fine stock. i have a extra assembly if you don't find one elsewhere. e-mail me if you would like about it so we don't get in trouble buying + selling on the wrong board.

speaking only for myself but am sure atcryder can relate to this,,, experience is knowing what you screwed up before. i am over qualified in sevral areas now (lmao)

john

ATCRYDER
10-04-2002, 07:13 PM
speaking only for myself but am sure atcryder can relate to this,,, experience is knowing what you screwed up before. i am over qualified in sevral areas now (lmao)

john

LOL, go ahead and speak for me, Johnny!....that is me! My motto is "Break it once, fix it twice" after these last years!!

bbechtel16
10-04-2002, 10:52 PM
Well, I guess I'll do it the right way. I just got back from picking it up. It rules! But right now I have other stuff to worry about, like getting new tires on it. The 18s that are on it now, the tube is spun on the one so im gonna put the 22s on that he gave me with it, and new tubes where nessasary. Also, it used to have a 350X carb on it but seeing as it is his brother's he had to give it back and put the stock one back on, which doesn't idle. Well, it idles, but not at idle speed, it's like cruise control w/o the control. Also it pops a nice wheelie when u kick it in gear. The trottle linkage is sticking in the carb. So I'll either have to fix that or buy a carb on eBay or something. Then I can worry about this reverse business. BTW, I paid $400 for this peice of beef, was that good?

ATCRYDER
10-04-2002, 10:54 PM
what year is it? plan on getting some pics up here?

$400 is a great price, man. All those problems will take very little time to fix. SHouldnt be more than about an 1 1/2 hour in the garage.

Rob

bbechtel16
10-04-2002, 11:03 PM
Its an '86 250sx with an '86 350x front end. It has a White Brothers e-series universal exhaust. Needs those tires, trottle fixed, eletrical stuff hooked up, (battery, ignition, lights, and reverse stuff.) It does have a very slight valave tap, is it likely that it just needs new valves? BTW, a brand new battery was included.

Howdy
10-05-2002, 12:52 AM
Weclome to the site:
FYI, You stopped in to the right place for parts, help, and support. If you have more questions feel free to ask!!

If you need parts look me up. I have enough stuff to fix it right. And that is the way to do. One thing to remember: Doing a jury rigged job will caused jurry rigged failers when you least expect and want it.

While I hate carbs with a passion I can get the factory settings and such ( from my book ). We have other people on here are 20 times better explaining the adjustments on them than me.
I do have a clymers manual for this machine and mechanical information is easy. I can fix these ( mechanical ) things in my sleep.

bbechtel16
10-05-2002, 10:53 PM
Well this morning I found out why it was idling so high, well sorta. The problem is the cable is too short, and it's already adjusted as short as it will go, so i disconnected it. Well, it's idling a good bit slower now, but it still won't go down as low as it should, i have the idle speed screw out the whole way, the problem is the throttle itself stops at certain point and doesnt drop to the adjustment screw. So I pulled the carb off and I see that when the throttle is at its lowest point everything seems to be where it should be, that cylinder shaped thingy that moves up and down (sorry I don't know the terminology) goes the whole way down to its stopper type thing, and the throttle plate I think it's called, seems to shut the whole way too, its not quiet straight up and down, but when I hold the carb up to the light and look through the barrel, I can't see any light peaking through. Any ideas here?

BTW, the only reason I wanted to rig the reverse thing is so I didn't have to do all that crap to shift into reverse, I'm not a fan of rig jobs for such fine machinery.

Howdy
10-05-2002, 11:42 PM
I don't have any idea's on the carb. hmmmmmmmm

If you rig the reverse stopper you could trash your tranny. I seen it once before. This kid rigged it so it would stay free. He accidently shifted to reverse while down shifting and totally trashed the tranny. only 3 gears were usable after that. There is at least 12 gears in the tranny and he trashed all but 3. the parts flying around for a couple seconds chipped or broke the others. It even broke the 2 main shafts.