PDA

View Full Version : Buying Yamaha tri-Z 250 or Yamaha 200

Ach1130
09-06-2016, 09:27 PM
I was 10 I rode my first three wheeler which was a 125 Kawasaki. Loved it. My dad found a barn find Yamaha 200 yellow trike. Needed serious work so I helped him night and day. Got it running and rode it all the time. We even used it to tow my Jr. Dragster around. Pretty much it went everywhere with us.

As I got older and more wreck less my dad sold it on me. As a 15 year old at the time it was the worst thing ever lol. So now 12 years later o was looking into buying a new one as certain quads are very expensive

Found the same year and model as the one i had. Decent price but after thinking not being a kid anymore I want a nicer ride. The no suspension would be a little rough.

Started looking more and found a Yamaha tri-z 250 which I never heard of. Saw so many things you can do with it and like it has suspension and 2-stroke. But it's a bit pricey and a little out of my budget. $1600. Mint condition with some mods

Now the 200 like my old one I can get for 800 so half the price. I usually ride a few times a year at the off-roading events upstate (and there's other times just goofing off).

My question is... Is it worth the 1600 for the tri-z or just get the 200? I know what the 200 is just not familiar with the tri-z but seems like a decent machine.

Here's some pics of the two

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160907/81828c75ef6a8db360060b0873446ee8.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160907/a8cd1c9432138243a76bc647474e1b07.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrickShot
09-06-2016, 09:52 PM
If stuck on yamaha machines, look into the Yamaha tri moto 225DR. It's a 4 stroke, shaft drive, 5 speed, with full suspension and has reverse too. (Not to be confused with the tri moto 225DX which has no reverse gear)
234645 234646

Ach1130
09-06-2016, 10:08 PM
If stuck on yamaha machines, look into the Yamaha tri moto 225DR. It's a 4 stroke, shaft drive, 5 speed, with full suspension and has reverse too. (Not to be confused with the tri moto 225DX which has no reverse gear)
234645 234646

I haven't found any like that by me. I had a deal with one a few hours away. The guy had one person ahead of me before I got to see it. Sold it right away. Those are the two I have found so far. I liked Yamaha as it reminds me of my child hood. I'm open to a Honda as well of the right deal comes along. Want one I know I'll enjoy. I'm also 6'2 so want something a bit on the bigger side.

jonolanracin
09-06-2016, 11:28 PM
If your 6 2 id really try to get the tri z it will be well worth it and that z looks nice . i love the tri z its my favorite ride . they are easy to work on parts are not to bad to get so go for it and enjoy

jb2wheels
09-06-2016, 11:34 PM
Those 2 trikes couldn't be more different.

Seems like a good deal for the Tri-Z.

What do your buddies ride? If they're all on bigger trikes or quads, you'll wish you had bought the Tri-z.

Ach1130
09-06-2016, 11:46 PM
Yes I know they are completely different. I grew up on the 200 so probly why I always had a soft spot for them. But as I did more research and found out about the tri-z it got me curious. I see them all the time go for about 2500-4000 and for that I would buy a used 400ex or 660 raptor. Just miss having a three wheeler as my quad to me has gotten old to me. I own a Polaris 500 scrambler 4x4

He wanted 1800 and I got him to 1600. Didn't know if that was steep or a deal. If parts are easy to come by then it seems worth it. And kinda miss a two stroke as I also use to own a banshee(which my cousin blew up).

Most of my friends are just starting out on quads. Most want racing quads. We ride at these events every year, normally bring my scrambler but would,like to bring 2 rides one being the tri-z. I. Actually probly the only one on a three wheeler as. Probly won't let my inexperienced friends use it. There's quads, trikes, bikes, off road trucks, monster trucks everywhere

If it seems like a better deal than I might just go spoil myself

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jb2wheels
09-06-2016, 11:47 PM
Those 2 trikes couldn't be more different.

Seems like a good deal for the Tri-Z.

What do your buddies ride? If they're all on bigger trikes or quads, you'll wish you had bought the Tri-z.

pontiacgp123
09-08-2016, 06:04 PM
tri zs always need motor work i would go with the 200 i own one and have had no problems the tri z is like a race quad you alwyas have to rebuild it after the end of the season the 4 stroke 200 needs less rebuilds per hours and parts arnt bad but every tri z part you will be fighting over every one wants one if your going to show boat then get the tri z but remember it has a lot of power compared to the 200 not a bad thing but i see it as everyone mods there triz and the 200 is stock should last longer if you dont beat the snot out of it

Ach1130
09-08-2016, 08:45 PM
tri zs always need motor work i would go with the 200 i own one and have had no problems the tri z is like a race quad you alwyas have to rebuild it after the end of the season the 4 stroke 200 needs less rebuilds per hours and parts arnt bad but every tri z part you will be fighting over every one wants one if your going to show boat then get the tri z but remember it has a lot of power compared to the 200 not a bad thing but i see it as everyone mods there triz and the 200 is stock should last longer if you dont beat the snot out of it

I really appreciate the post. I just bought the tri-z. Rode it and fell in love with it. I do have some experience with 2 stroke engines and my cousin is even better than me. All my friends are buying side by sides or race quads so if I don't get the scrambler repaired in time at least I got something with balls. The 200 was a close second though but without the suspension which I really need where I go is what made it a lil less desirable... I'll keep every one posted on my new ride. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160909/6f3c349f31875c1ae1cdfc4d927db4bf.jpg

IKE-Z
09-08-2016, 09:55 PM
I think you made the right choice...

pontiacgp123
09-09-2016, 08:57 AM
it looks decent good buy just remember to keep the radiator clean so it doesnt over heat you might have to use a garden hose

Ach1130
09-09-2016, 12:29 PM
it looks decent good buy just remember to keep the radiator clean so it doesnt over heat you might have to use a garden hose

That I know. Happened to my scrambler when I caked it up in mud. Where we go they have pressure washers so I can wash it off every so often

pontiacgp123
09-09-2016, 07:07 PM
thats kick ass they wont allow 3 wheelers at my local place

Ach1130
09-09-2016, 09:12 PM
They allow EVERYTHING where my friends and I go. From off road go karts to dirt bikes, quads three wheelers, mud trucks monster trucks etc. even crazy creations! They tell you your at your own risk though.

So update as well. Brought it to my friends where I'll be keeping it. We took it for another ride. Gotta admit it scared me a bit. The wheel likes to lift up with ease. My friend and I are going to give it a good cleaning and change some hoses on it. Think he's a bit more excited than I am. Can't wait till the next event to ride it on the dirt and mud.

jonolanracin
09-09-2016, 11:32 PM
Be sure to make sure your temp light works it should light up for a rew seconds when you first start it and go out and comes on if motor gets hot. Ive never had any trouble keeping a tri z running as long as you dont run them lean they are super tough enjoy the z

hogmuffin
09-13-2016, 11:56 AM
If it were me i would definitely go with the Tri-Z. they are much harder to come by and 1600 isnt a bad price if it is really in that good of shape.