PDA

View Full Version : Raccoons as pets??

dave ytz250s
09-13-2016, 07:39 PM
Anyone ever had a pet raccoon? I'm asking because I have a raccoon around my house, but it's friendly, playfull and want's to come in the house and car. I've never seen a friendly raccoon before, it's clear he's been raised by a human, and probably abandoned here on a country road. I don't want to keep it but I'm not sure what to do with it.

DohcBikes
09-13-2016, 08:35 PM
Yes. My pet raccoon was amazing. We found him when he was so small that he had to be bottle fed. We had him for two years, treated him as any other pet and let him wander, then one night he decided to stay outside in the tree. Never saw him again.

Keep it.

redsox
09-13-2016, 08:36 PM
bad idea. wild animal.

DohcBikes
09-13-2016, 08:37 PM
bad idea. wild animal.Totally disagree. Raccoons are awesome pets. They use a litter box. Their paw pads are the softest material known to man. No research to back that up but they are soft. One of the best pets i've ever owned. Very very smart.

coolpool
09-13-2016, 08:42 PM
We acquired a kit/pup at birth and also bottle fed it. It was cute, fun and smart as heck until it got big; then it was a force to be reckoned with! We used to catch big ones to train our coonhounds back in the early 80's and they were nasty!!!!! How big is it? BTW, they tend to hide food behind things too so watch what you feed it in the house so you don't atrract other unwanted pests like ants. Post a pic!

tripledog
bad idea. wild animal.

If I only had a nickel for every time someone said that about me...

DohcBikes
Cats are wild animals. Snatch up a weaned kitten from your neighbors yard sale, toss him in the wilderness and he'll likely survive.

redsox
09-13-2016, 08:43 PM
When i was about ten years old i had one for a few days. it was a baby, about the size of a kitten. came right up to me while i was fishing. very friendly. took it home. a day or two later i bounced a basketball in the garage where the raccoon was and it lost its marbles. total violent flip out. scary. wild animal.

DohcBikes
09-13-2016, 08:47 PM
When i was about ten years old i had one for a few days. it was a baby, about the size of a kitten. came right up to me while i was fishing. very friendly. took it home. a day or two later i bounced a basketball in the garage where the raccoon was and it lost its marbles. total violent flip out. scary. wild animal.

maybe dat baby had rabies

tripledog
09-13-2016, 08:57 PM
Cats are wild animals. Snatch up a weaned kitten from your neighbors yard sale, toss him in the wilderness and he'll likely survive.

Or be eaten by a racoon.

dave ytz250s
09-13-2016, 08:59 PM
Yes. My pet raccoon was amazing. We found him when he was so small that he had to be bottle fed. We had him for two years, treated him as any other pet and let him wander, then one night he decided to stay outside in the tree. Never saw him again.

Keep it.

I admit it's tempting but I already have a dog and two cats.

dave ytz250s
09-13-2016, 09:04 PM
We acquired a kit/pup at birth and also bottle fed it. It was cute, fun and smart as heck until it got big; then it was a force to be reckoned with! We used to catch big ones to train our coonhounds back in the early 80's and they were nasty!!!!! How big is it? BTW, they tend to hide food behind things too so watch what you feed it in the house so you don't atrract other unwanted pests like ants. Post a pic!

Never fed him, never let him in the house, he tried to get in but I blocked him, he's been roaming around here for adout a week now
I got some pics and a video on a friend's phone, waiting for him to send that to me

Matt85'350x
09-13-2016, 10:20 PM
My next door neighbor had a coon. It was cute and cuddly in the beginning but then got mean when it was older. And if they do get mean it's a nasty site. 4 paws with fierce claws. Don't keep it, it takes generations to properly domesticate an animal. Watch the show "fatal attractions " on animal planethat if you need to know why not to keep an exotic pet.

DOHC, I'm glad you had a good experience but don't talk about it likes it's the rule, more than likely your situation is the exception.

tripledog
09-13-2016, 10:26 PM
I think I've seen this before.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=A2KLqIUptNhXXxoA9xD7w8QF;_ylu=X3oDMTBsO WdjMmRnBHNlYwNzZWFyY2gEdnRpZANWSURDMQ--;_ylc=X1MDOTY3ODEzMDcEX3IDMgRiY2sDNGFxbzJrbGJyZTVt cyUyNmIlM0Q0JTI2ZCUzRDJ2U3JiT3BwWUVKSEtrSy5rVEQ0T0 I2ZWE1a0JUVlhaTnRxWXhnLS0lMjZzJTNEam4lMjZpJTNEZVFU N19aamZHb1hfaVFLUEdZUlQEZnIDeW15eS10LTk5OQRncHJpZA NNQzdFeFhrNlRhT0w0VFZNbDdOMm1BBG10ZXN0aWQDVUkwMSUz RFZJREMxBG5fcnNsdAM2MARuX3N1Z2cDMTAEb3JpZ2luA3ZpZG VvLnNlYXJjaC55YWhvby5jb20EcG9zAzEEcHFzdHIDaXRjaHkg YW5kBHBxc3RybAM5BHFzdHJsAzE4BHF1ZXJ5A2l0Y2h5IGFuZC BzY3JhdGNoeQR0X3N0bXADMTQ3MzgxOTcwNwR2dGVzdGlkA1ZJ REMx?gprid=MC7ExXk6TaOL4TVMl7N2mA&pvid=TsN7sDk4LjFFawKlV7cW3ARjMTA4LgAAAABjCE29&p=itchy+and+scratchy&ei=UTF-8&fr2=p%3As%2Cv%3Av%2Cm%3Asa&fr=ymyy-t-999#id=61&vid=40c65c052ebca60d3317a66d120c5b3d&action=view

fieldy
09-14-2016, 03:11 AM
Walk. If you feel for the little guy, and you can avoid angering him and being bitten, cat carrier him to an animal rehabilitation person.
He's gonna be trouble in your neighborhood.
Distemper makes them crazy and thats been going around here this year, they aren't scared and come up to you in broad daylight. Your coon may not be sick just sayin.

83ATC185
09-14-2016, 08:22 AM
We had a raykin for a couple years, started out bottle feeding it. And while it never did get "mean", it did become a LOT to handle. It was a free range raccoon and it would claw you to death just trying to play. Had a thing about climbing up to your shoulder when it was scared and it climbed you like you were a tree.

That said I'd go for it! Had the chance to care for some more a couple years ago, out riding dirt roads near a fresh clearcut and a whole litter approached me but didn't have the means to take care of them. Ended up feeding them floorboard pizza crust and shooing them away.:cry:

Scootertrash
09-14-2016, 01:11 PM
I'll just leave this here

tripledog
09-14-2016, 01:20 PM
Just avoid bringing home a girl that has crabs as pets.

dave ytz250s
09-14-2016, 05:04 PM
Here's the video of the little raccoon (it's in french but you can see whats going on)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8gVhrxuFdZTcEhBRTdwNjRtc00/view?usp=sharing

tripledog
09-14-2016, 09:13 PM
Scary stuff. Ankle biter jokes aside, you have befriended a potential teabag biter. OUCH!

dave ytz250s
09-14-2016, 09:36 PM
We were about to find a place for it, a zoo that trains wild animals for movies and tours http://cinezoo.qc.ca/
But it got hit by a car a few minutes ago, problem solved, at least it didn't suffer

edit:just realized their site is only in french, I found a youtube video of them in english https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JlgxxpwyyU
looks like a really cool place I think I'll go see that

DohcBikes
09-14-2016, 10:23 PM
We were about to find a place for it, a zoo that trains wild animals for movies and tours....
But it got hit by a car a few minutes ago, problem solvedI'm not ashamed to say that I laughed and laughed

DohcBikes
09-14-2016, 10:37 PM
Mr Clean... My suggestion to distribute yard sale kittens in the wilderness was not literal. I was just kitten... Badum tiss.

Here's my cat Bandit.

sledcrazyinCT
09-14-2016, 10:37 PM
I'm not ashamed to say that I laughed and laughed

Says the cat lover

sledcrazyinCT
09-14-2016, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the video of DavesRacoon. RIP

DohcBikes
09-14-2016, 10:41 PM
Says the cat lover

This calls for another pic of Bandit.

sledcrazyinCT
09-14-2016, 10:47 PM
Like your grey puss puss But remember as Bob Barker says spay or neuter Bandito:beer

sledcrazyinCT
09-14-2016, 10:50 PM

Or be eaten by a racoon.

Feral cats are no joke....too many Chinese restaurants depend on strays

coolpool
09-15-2016, 12:06 AM
Too bad it's gone, probably best in the long run. That's how I remember ours, constantly nipping and wrestling once it got about that big. They can be a handful.

FYI, Racoons love to wash/wet their food if water is available. Try this, give it some cotton candy and watch its mind get blown as it disintegrates in the water when it tries to wash it. I know, I'm a bit off!

tripledog
09-15-2016, 05:20 AM
Feral cats are no joke....too many Chinese restaurants depend on strays

So true. A lot of our local Chinese restaurant customers are from out of town.

czac
09-19-2016, 03:34 PM
Anyone ever had a pet raccoon? I'm asking because I have a raccoon around my house, but it's friendly, playfull and want's to come in the house and car. I've never seen a friendly raccoon before, it's clear he's been raised by a human, and probably abandoned here on a country road. I don't want to keep it but I'm not sure what to do with it.

that thing probably has rabies! Never trust a raccoon... they are wild as hell and can cause alot of damage! Id say just leave it be and let it stay wild. My wife used to feed one every day, and all of a sudden there were two, then three then they'd fight over the food and finally she stopped feeding them, after coming back every night to see if there was food , they'd wander off, now we don't see them anymore. Of course though, we do have alot of coyote and there a Bobcat that comes around every now and then... lol they could have been eaten... I bet they tasted good too, she gave them alot of good dog food!