PDA

View Full Version : Back in the game

3wheel_life
09-14-2016, 01:37 PM
After being out of the 3 wheeling world for about 5 years I finally got another. An 85 200x. Picked it up cheap, although it needs a good bit of work. Excited to get started on it, more excited to be riding one again. It will be my first x, so I'm sure I'll have questions, but I know the search function is my friend. First order of business will be replacing the (already damaged) swinger bolt and needle bearings. Fun times. Good thing is I've already moved the bolt, by accident so it should come out easy! Anybody know where to buy another? (Can't view classifieds here yet). Anywho, just wanted to say "hey" to the rest of you fellow crazy trikers.

She's ugly, but it's a start. Came with a few goodies on it as well, supertrapp silencer, uni filter, and the motor had been bored and carb rejetted. It was done right at one point.

JacobMonster
09-14-2016, 03:55 PM
Welcome back.
Best place for bolts is hondapartshouse.com
Unsure if they still make them, but thats where I buy all mine.
What else does it need bud?
Sounds like a good score.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

3wheel_life
09-14-2016, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the welcome. Other than the obvious (cosmetics), basically need all bearings replaced in the swing arm and carrier, rear brake work, front pads, new chain, front tire, generator cover (looks like chain popped with no case saver/chain guard) and kill switch. I'm not doing anything extravagant with this, just want to make it a solid rider and get back to riding.

Rob Canadian
09-14-2016, 09:33 PM
Welcome.
Herd some guys are running DELRIN bushings in the swingarm(?) I am still looking into it as I plan on doing some more things over the winter.
How are the chain adjusters? Good shape?

jonolanracin
09-14-2016, 11:26 PM
The 200x is a great bike as long as your not 6 3 and 300 lbs lol im 6 1 220 and i really liked riding mine

3wheel_life
09-15-2016, 06:13 AM
Welcome.
Herd some guys are running DELRIN bushings in the swingarm(?) I am still looking into it as I plan on doing some more things over the winter.
How are the chain adjusters? Good shape?

The adjustor on the Kickstarter side is in perfect shape, the one on the opposite side is a little beat up. Someone didn't know how to adjust the chain and looks like they beat the crap out of the end of the swingarm bolt with a hammer with no nut on the end.

Tactical_Lever
09-20-2016, 02:14 AM
Around here if they are nice, they go for a fair bit of money. It looks not too bad. Tires can be found pretty reasonable if you are replacing them.

Probably the first thing I would do is replace the seat cover. Fairly inexpensive, and just having a nice seat makes a huge difference in looks.

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

efhondakid
09-20-2016, 11:07 AM
Try hitting the bolt with a thread file to clean up the threads. You be surprised with a little bit of work even pretty mangled up threads can be brought back to life.

3wheel_life
09-24-2016, 09:07 AM
Swimgarm bolt is ready to go. Got it out (very easily) and had a buddy of mine take it to his works machine shop, had it re-threaded and cleaned up. Delrin bushings are on the way, (thanks BKM!) ordered a new Kenda front max tire and rear carrier bearings and seals. Have yet to locate a front sprocket cover/case saver. Seat cover will be next.

Have the swingarm removed, going to have a fun time removing the pivot bearing races. They are practically welded! Also going to rebuild the rear caliper, and replace front pads.

This poor trike was neglected, for sure. But it's in the right hands now. It's going to make an awesome trial/woods trike. Glad to be part of the 3 wheel community again and ecstatic to have a trike again!

Rob Canadian
09-24-2016, 10:52 PM
Good stuff!!

Got mine in fair condition (83) Had new hoops on it. Got it to a point now it is fully functional. Oh boy. What a blast. :)

Keep us tuned on what's going on.

3wheel_life
09-25-2016, 05:24 PM
Got the pivot bearing races out today. After reading a lot of posts I figured this was going to be my biggest challenge, but they came out rather easily. Took about 30 minutes a piece. Since the needle bearings were dust/rust I figured they had been in there for a while and weren't going to come out without a fight. But I got extremely lucky. Now to tackle the rear axle bearings, and put everything back together.

Here's what they looked like after taking them out.

350for350
09-25-2016, 08:54 PM
I guess they were a little worn. As long as you're not afraid to do a little work, this one will keep you going for a long time yet.

Zackmtr112
09-25-2016, 09:57 PM
How much did you get the 200x for?

3wheel_life
09-25-2016, 10:51 PM
How much did you get the 200x for?

$150 craigslist find.

3wheel_life
09-28-2016, 09:02 PM
Today was a good day. Delrin bushings came in, as did my new front tire.

Installed the new bushings and put the swingarm back in. Everything went back in great, almost too good haha. Once the swingarm was bolted back in, I got to work on getting the rear axle out and ready for the new rear bearings/seals. Had a lot of trouble getting the rotor hub off of the splines, but it finally came off and after some beating (used a 2x4 on the end of the axle, don't like putting the nut on and beating on it) the axle came out. Just as I suspected, the bearings were toast. Fell apart with a small tap of the hammer. Proceeded to get to work on the races. With a hammer and chisel, got the right side off pretty easily, couple taps and it broke right in half. Now I'm stuck on the left side. Ran out of daylight/patience and decided to call it a night. Very happy with the progress so far, wish I had taken some pictures along the way.

bkm
09-28-2016, 09:16 PM
Great job. Keep up the good work

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

250sxman
09-28-2016, 09:26 PM
Nice work!

3wheel_life
09-28-2016, 09:29 PM
Great job. Keep up the good work

Thanks. The bushings were a perfect fit. Seem like a way better alternative to crappy needle bearings.

efhondakid
09-28-2016, 09:58 PM
Man I just did the carrier bearings on my R they were a pain in the arse.

Rob Canadian
09-29-2016, 08:16 PM

Great work. I did the bearings on mine a couple months ago. Opted to cut the race out of one side as it was not coming out. :) My rear sprocket could be used in a circular saw. :)

3wheel_life
09-29-2016, 08:26 PM

Great work. I did the bearings on mine a couple months ago. Opted to cut the race out of one side as it was not coming out. :) My rear sprocket could be used in a circular saw. :)

I don't have near the tools I used to, but I finally got the other race out. Sharpened my chisel and used it to cut the race, then it practically fell out. Got the new bearings and seals in, axle put back in and finished up. Got the front wheel off as well, got it ready to get the old tire off and the new front max on. Now to get the brakes working, a new chain, seat cover, and get her cleaned up.

No after pics but some pics are better than none!
235250 235251

bkm
09-29-2016, 08:42 PM
Thanks. The bushings were a perfect fit. Seem like a way better alternative to crappy needle bearings.
Even though I make the replacement bushings, they will never out perform a properly maintenenced needle bearing. The problem is, unless guys do that after every ride through mud or water, the oem bearings and sleeves become seized as you found out.

Rob Canadian
09-29-2016, 08:55 PM
Even though I make the replacement bushings, they will never out perform a properly maintenenced needle bearing. The problem is, unless guys do that after every ride through mud or water, the oem bearings and sleeves become seized as you found out.

Kinda new to the site myself as you can see.

Wonder if anyone has drilled a hole and installed a grease fitting(?) Another place would be the rear carrier for the bearings (?) Guess you could get excess grease onto the rear rotor...

3wheel_life
09-29-2016, 09:06 PM
Kinda new to the site myself as you can see.

Wonder if anyone has drilled a hole and installed a grease fitting(?) Another place would be the rear carrier for the bearings (?) Guess you could get excess grease onto the rear rotor...

On the inside of the axle carrier, there were 2 hex screws just past where the bearings/races seat. I didn't see anything on the outside of the carrier though, no clue what they are for. Should have taken a picture.

Actually, if you zoom in on my 2nd pic, you can see them, on the lower left about 3/4" up.

Rob Canadian
09-29-2016, 09:19 PM
I was more thinking on the pivot bolt that you put the Delrin bushings in. I have a grease fitting on my bike (Honda XL250R with prolink)

Just thinking outside the bun as those needle bearings seem to be an issue.

3wheel_life
09-29-2016, 09:35 PM
I was more thinking on the pivot bolt that you put the Delrin bushings in. I have a grease fitting on my bike (Honda XL250R with prolink)

Just thinking outside the bun as those needle bearings seem to be an issue.

Well like BKM said, it's more or less the lack of maintaining them that's the problem, especially with no grease fitting that's easily accessible. I think if I were to go back to needle bearings I would definitely put in a grease fitting. Can't ever have enough lube. With the way I ride I beleive the bushings will suit me better.

DohcBikes
09-29-2016, 09:38 PM
What I got from that exchange was Taco Bell and Lube. Should work perfectly.

bkm
09-29-2016, 09:47 PM
A gun drilled pivot bolt with holes drilled in the proximity of the needle bearings and then holes drilled into the sleeve to supply grease to the needle bearings is the proper setup. A lot of pivot bolts are hollow from the factory so that is one step that can be skipped. You have to also supply the needles with grease or you're only fixing half the problem. A drilled bolt will only grease the bolt and sleeve.

3wheel_life
09-29-2016, 10:07 PM
My pivot bolt was definitely not hollow. Unless it's hollow past the threaded portion.

bkm
09-29-2016, 11:09 PM
I have a hollow bolt in my 250r, but it may be a 400ex or 450r bolt?

3wheel_life
10-01-2016, 03:49 PM
New front tire is mounted and wheel installed. Threw the old chain back on temporarily and drove it around the yard a bit. What a blast. First time on a trike in around 5 years and haven't missed a beat. The exhaust sounds amazing. The trike has plenty of power, feels a lot better than the SX's I'm used to riding.

More pics just because. A new seat cover will do wonders for this machine.

DohcBikes
10-01-2016, 04:48 PM
85 200x, by far best 3 wheeler ever built!

3wheel_life
10-01-2016, 06:09 PM
85 200x, by far best 3 wheeler ever built!

This is my first 200x. Always wanted one but couldn't hardly find them in my area and when I could they were way overpriced. I've always ridden SX's and 250 big reds. Just putting around the yard I can tell this is going to be a mean woods/trail bike. Still have a long ways to go before its how I want it.