PDA

View Full Version : 2011 and up crf450r into a three wheeler

Bottomland4x4
09-14-2016, 10:47 PM
I am currently looking to build a 450r trike, I want to use a 2011 and up honda crf for the conversion. I am trying to find out my best options. Would I be better to convert a trx, or the crf? I want it to look factory as if it came from honda, and I want to use efi. Where's the best place to start?
Thanks
Eric

oldskool83
09-15-2016, 07:24 AM
you prepaied for 7-8K until your done too? Most people are not. Its call you built it yourself lol

Bottomland4x4
09-15-2016, 07:27 AM
Yea I know it will be expensive, but it will be worth it. I was looking for a nice atc250r, but I really want a new more modern machine. I may just buy a used trx and crf and see what fits together! Lol!

DohcBikes
09-15-2016, 07:45 AM
I like quad conversions myself but most guys are going with the dirt bikes now.

Quads have reverse and electric start as well as a charging system that can handle lights.

Dirt bikes can be built in a way that allows you to return them to original. The also usually have more power. Although I doubt there are many riders that can actually handle a 50hp trike.

Don't forget to consider a 250f. Many are now pushing 40hp.

KlX450 and cr450x dirt bikes have starters and charging, but no reverse.

Bottomland4x4
09-15-2016, 10:54 PM
I wasn't thinking about the lighting issue. That's a good point. Also electric starting instead of kicking towards the rear fenders. Not too worried about not having reverse, watch how you park and your good! Lol!

atc007
09-16-2016, 08:34 AM
Joe Swatland has an amazing creation that Jason Hall built. Richard Maesteas is also building Yamahas in Arizona. I think Louis Mielke will build one. They are all great guys to bend an ear with. Having seen them all, I personally would most def start with a electric start bike ,getting hung up on lights will vastly narrow your choices. Maybe just a stator swap? I do not know, not my area.Jmho.

oldskool83
09-16-2016, 08:41 AM
here is one that's been forsale for about a year around me. Its a CRF bike conversion....sits crazy tall and I bed it does not handle the best. Might of been an early shot at a conversion which is still nice. Ive seen its price go from 2,500 to 3,800.

Not hard to build one.

http://cnj.craigslist.org/snw/5745364991.html

I am currently trying to collect parts for a EFI tecate 250 4 stroke. I know ppl get hung up 450's but the bikes now days with 70HP at the crank is a lot of snap and most people can not even use all that. only so much power is needed bashing trees at 15mph lol. Climbing hills in another story! I had purposely built a kx100 trike to ride slower with my wife on her kfx700...yep I still am finding myself turning around thinking where is she.

Honda went EFI on their 250F in 2010 and 450F in 2009 so not sure why your hung up on 2011 but there are a lot of bikes out there with EFI now days. CRF-x's are holding valve like crazy and not sure but I still think they are running the 2004 engine and frame design and carbs.

If you would fine a decent not too clamped out bike in about mid OCT on you can get bikes dirt cheap then pick up some blow up quad on CL and start the process but have something else to ride and take your time on it.

I had bought a nice 2001 YZ426F last year with certification of owner ship form a guy wanting it gone for $1000. That thing was a handful on 3 wheels so I can only imagine a motor like that on 3 wheels. My front end always came up but I'm light too.

My KFX450R has less power but still can be a hand full when you get into some odd terrain. Good luck with your project. A lot of people talk on here but fail to realize the cost of building their own bikes is not cheap, its easy just not cheap.

bike motors have not counter balancer, quad motors do. However with the 4 strokes you do not feel the vibs as much when swaping motors in placed they do not belong. 2 stroke motors however you will fell the vibs all over the place.

Maybe one of that information is worth 2 damns lol.

Bottomland4x4
09-16-2016, 10:13 AM
I bet the kx100 trike would be a blast. I bought my son a crf150r and that would make an awesome trike! I'm not really hung up on a 2011 crf450r, just found a good deal on one. Haven't bought anything yet still looking and figuring out what I want to build and which direction. The craigslist link looks ok but it is tall. Is there someone who makes triple trees for converting bikes to trikes? I think it would be cheaper to convert the bike than to go with a tpc conversion. I was even thinking about looking for an xr650r liquid cooled to convert, that might be harder to find though.

Thanks for all the ideas! This site has a lot of good information on it and I like to read a lot more than I post. I saw the yamaha conversions and the black/yellow trikes are beautiful! I have been looking at a yfz450 two wheeler in the yellow/black colors. I have always been a honda fan though. Still have a mint 1985 atc70 that gets rode occasionally. I'm into mud racing with mega trucks and I also have a can am outlander xmr for cruising, and a polaris ranger for utility.

oldskool83
09-16-2016, 11:03 AM
450R is going to make just as much if not more power then a XR650. Plus they are massive pigs.

Jason Hall makes triples. He takes like 6 months. I have had HREatv.com make me a set before. Guys are also use honda VTX1800 stock triples and putting their choice of forks in them. Once its built keep it because not many people will ever want a toy make of a bunch of non OEM parts. This is one reason why the older non hacked up trikes are holding value. When you get bikes cheap enought I do mint cutting them up to make something more better. That's how I came up with this.

Bottomland4x4
09-18-2016, 08:30 AM
I have a found a nice 450x, it's a 2008 model. I'm thinking of using it for the conversion. I would get my electric start, but I'm wondering if the ratios in the trans would be way off with a trike conversion. Oldschool83 are you near that trike in the craigslist link? It would be way cheaper for me to go that route and then rebuild or modify it into the trike I want.