PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Honda 200x Clutch issue

Honda200xrace
09-15-2016, 10:27 PM
Okay guys looking for some info about a 200x clutch problem. I put new friction plates and springs in my clutch thinking it would solve my issues. I thought the steel plates were okay but i couldve been wrong about that. anyways first and second gear seam to be okay but when i hit third it revs up and doesnt take off like it should. if i let off and punch it again it seems to do better but 3-5 it slips. once im into 5th it doesnt seem like it has any power and just hangs at a low rpm.

I adjusted my clutch so that the cable has some play from the lever on the case. The lever has never felt right but i compare that to my cbrf4i so...
it does stop the the three wheeler and it doesnt creep in gear with the clutch lever pulled and the throttle reved up.

i understand the concept of how the clutch works but dont know a lot about it so any help is appreciated also feel free to ask questions because my only thought right now is to try putting new steel plates in right now.

Thanks Guys!

yaegerb
09-15-2016, 11:05 PM
You should have replaced your fibers and steels as a set and I bet your basket fingers are wore with grooves and it needs a good filing. This topic was talked about a few weeks ago. The user name to look for on the thread is mackus84 I believe.

Honda200xrace
09-16-2016, 08:01 PM
I took my clutch apart today and the basket did have some pretty good grooves in it. I noticed that my lever that goes through the crankcase to engage the clutch slides up and down 1/4" or so is that normal?

yaegerb
09-16-2016, 08:40 PM
take your time and file those grooves out with a fine file. Just enough to knock the high ridges off. Don't worry about the valleys, just get it smooth as possible. The idea is to take the least amount off the fingers as possible so you still have adequate distance for the fiber plate tabs (you don't want them fitting loose).

it slides up and down, when? when the cable is off and there's no tension on the actuator arm?

Honda200xrace
09-17-2016, 12:02 AM
I did file them down and there is between 1/8"-1/4" (didnt measure just a guess) of play for the disks to move back and forth. Is this too much?

if the cable is on and adjusted i pull the clutch and it feels good. i release it then i go to pull it again and it looses the firmness it had before. I noticed the arm pulls up and doesn't go back all the way. if i push that arm back down and pull the clutch again it feels firm again. do these arms ever wear out? I dont see any wear on it that i can tell. i was thinking maybe the round slot where the clutch throw goes is a little rounded out so it gives it room to move up and down?

also to clarify the weak clutch is how it felt before i took it apart this last time and the clutch seemed to work fine other than the slip in higher gears but it just doesnt feel right to me the way it is

im under the impression my spring could weak and i noticed the bottom of the spring where the loop catches the cover is across the bottom of the arm. id assume it should be around it not crossing the bottom?

Honda200xrace
09-17-2016, 04:52 PM
I found a good deal on a new clutch basket so i ordered that, new steel plates, that spring for the clutch lever. hoping that solves all my issues!

350for350
09-17-2016, 11:45 PM
Be sure to replace your clutch springs when you are in there. I believe that if they lose tension, it could cause your clutch to slip. Maybe it was slipping in higher gears because there's more load on it than in the lower ones.