PDA

View Full Version : Not new, new guy with 1986 250es

lidog27
09-22-2016, 01:02 AM
Hey guys. I've been a member and on/off lurker for quite a while. I'm not new to trikes but I have recently purchased my own. I grew up riding an 84 200s with my dad on his 250sx. Recently I have been riding with a few people that are new to riding and I would always get stuck on a Suzuki alt 125 4 wheeler and give them the eiger since our trails are rather difficult. I got fed up with that and got myself a 250es. It is mechanically perfect and cosmetically complete. So far I have changed the oil, filter, diff fluid, spark plug, and rear tires. It still needs a few things like a seat cover and right fender.

Herboso
09-22-2016, 11:31 AM
Nice ride. I debated between getting an 85' or 86' Big Red or a 250SX. I wound up with an 85' SX but those Big Reds are great machines. I have bought seat covers for 2 of my 200S's from the ebay business below and have been very pleased with the quality. There are some videos on YouTube on recovering motorcycle seats if you have never done it before. Its not too hard. Most important is having a staple gun that can penetrate the plastic pan sufficiently. The first seat I did I used a spring powered staple gun and it worked okay. I went through a lot of staples though because every other one had to be pulled out and reshot due to not penetrating enough. The second seat I did I bought a cheap pneumatic stapler from Harbor Freight and it worked 100% better. Your plastics might be hard or expensive to find. I might try repairing your fenders with fiberglass. A YouTuber fiberglassed his and it looked like he had pretty good results. That is something I have not actually done myself though so not sure of longterm results.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-ATC250ES-Seat-Cover-BIG-RED-in-BLACK-or-any-25-COLORS-ST-/381780292715?hash=item58e3e0f46b:g:kEEAAOSwLVZVw0m O&vxp=mtr

lidog27
09-22-2016, 08:02 PM
I would rather have a 250sx but they're all beat up here. My other choice was a 225dx but it was way overpriced and this was cheaper and better in most ways. I'm not worried about the seat. It's completely rideable right now so I'm not in too much of a rush but I'd like to have everything fixed by spring.

Herboso
09-22-2016, 09:06 PM
Cool! Have fun with it. I have thoroughly enjoyed my three wheelers. Never had one until two years ago. Got one to use on my small acreage and went with three wheeler because they are so cheap. Started out with a couple 200S's but as I learned more about them I decided I wanted electric start and suspension. Kept my eye on Craiglist for a Big Red or SX and my SX came up about a month ago.