PDA

View Full Version : Welding my Fenders

Michael_fett
09-25-2016, 10:41 PM
Just tried my first shot at welding some cracks in my fenders. I have a nice soldering tool that allows me to control the temp. Did some reading and found out that around 575 degrees is a decent point to start. Melting works well at that temp. First I tried to lightly melt the top and under side of the fender. Looked very nice, but I wanted to see how it would hold up. So I hit it pretty hard with a broomstick. Did not hold at all and completely split back apart. Not really sure what I was expecting.

Try number two. Completely melted through about every 1/8" apart and melted it smooth over the top. From the back side it looked like someone had sown it together with thread. Melted that smooth and filled in some holes where it had been stitched with zip ties with a scrap fender I had. Smacked that with the broomstick and it held. So then I got a little aggressive with it and bent it around pretty hard. To my surprise it held. Only time will tell if its going to hold up.

Here are the before and after photos. 235169235170

I did use a utility knife blade to shave down the rough parts of the melting to get the final look above. Maybe I'll try the Dremal tool to smooth the rest of that out.

350for350
09-25-2016, 10:58 PM
I'm no expert and haven't tried plastic welding yet, but I'd say that looks good. If you can beat on it then bend it without it breaking, you probably won't have any problems with it.

newby200x
09-26-2016, 07:46 AM
This is close to the same procedure I have used in the past and its still holding 3 years later. Of course it doesn't get driven often or abused at all. I went ahead and wet sanded the entire fender and welded area and polished them to new again. The only bad part is my soldering iron is not adjustable and the fender is white, so it is definitely noticeable where the weld seam is, it is a much darker white than the rest. I'm assuming since it got much hotter than needed.

Ranvier
09-29-2016, 12:10 PM
That looks pretty good and definitely serviceable. Going to give it a try.

greenhaze20
10-01-2016, 10:13 PM
I used a spare rear fender and cut it into strips to use as a filler rod. I then used big staples and melted them into the plastic on the back side of the fender for structural support. The fender looks great and has stayed together. i would recommend melting the plastic outdoors unless you want your shop smelling great.

sledcrazyinCT
10-02-2016, 08:28 AM
If you don't have staples I have cut cotter pins apart and melted them into the plastic for reinforcement