PDA

View Full Version : Carb questions

Newrider
09-27-2016, 06:46 PM
Hey guys first off thanks for always being so helpful.. I have a auto-x with 200s motor a dg exhaust and uni air filter. I can get my trike started with one pull on a cold start after its been running I have to give it a little throttle to start it which is no problem when I try to get it to idle it will idle so high but if I put it in gear slowly it will jump into 1st but the idle falls low and I have to constantly use the throttle to keep it running throttle cable isn't locking anywhere.. it drives nice and appears to shift fine I looked at the plug and it looked a little lean.. Should I move the needle clip? Where can I find a jet kit for my carb? I think it's a 85 200x carb. I see rebuild kits all over the internet but having trouble with jet kits finding them or can someone send me a link to buy a new carb that would work for this trike please.. And BTW I did take it apart and clean the whole carb already.. Any help is appreciated

Newrider
09-28-2016, 10:31 PM
I thought maybe it was an air leak so I sprayed starter fluid all around the carb and intake and it didn't rev up.. My next move is going to be a new throttle cable.. And I was reading the threads some1 else posted.. Could it possibly be because I don't have a copper gasket were my header goes into my motor?

yaegerb
09-28-2016, 11:27 PM
Yes, make sure to use the copper crush o ring in the head. Are noticing popping on decel? That's usually air getting into the header through a leak. Get a shindy rebuild kit for your carb and then order a 40 pilot and 118, 115, 112, and 110 main from here....make sure to buy the genuine jets NOT the Oem equivalent.
http://jetsrus.com/a_jet_kit_atv/honda_200_ATC200X.htm

Soak your carb in Berryman Chem dip over night, making sure to remove all rubber or plastic parts. Pull the carb and thoroughly clean with warm water and carb cleaner and then blow all orifices out with compressed air. Do carb cleaner a couple times to make sure all passages are clear.

Rebuild every component of the carb including the brass needle jet in the bottom center of the carb throat. Take the old one out with a brass drift and tap lightly with a small hammer. You can reinstall the new one by pressing in and then it will seat be screwing in the main jet stack.

Screw in your 40 pilot and start your main with a 115. That should get you in the ballpark.

350for350
09-28-2016, 11:31 PM
I'm not going to say that the lack of the copper gasket is 100% your problem, but it could be part of it. Where did the carb come from? Did it come from your 200x or some one else's? I'm asking because you're not sure what year it came from. Did your 200x have the same exhaust and intake or did you buy them just for the autox? I ask these because If the carb came from a stock 200x, then you have to rejet richer. A new throttle cable may not help, but it won't hurt. If it's fraying inside and hanging up, it could be not letting the slide in the carb return all the way. It is possible to have the slide turned 180 degrees around. This will make it idle much higher in neutral, but it will also make it idle the same when it's in gear. If you've rebuilt the carb with an aftermarket kit, the jets could be smaller than the factory ones no matter what number is on them. My 350x used to foul a plug every so often and be almost impossible to start when hot. I found out that the 138 main jet that was in it was visibly smaller than the 135 that I bought from the dealership for high altitude riding. I replaced with a 138 from the dealership, and have no more problems. I do use the aftermarket rebuild kits, but after that, I NEVER use their jets. I either but them at a dealership or buy them online at jets r us. The point of this novel is make sure you're jetted right before you throw a lot of parts at your trike.

Newrider
09-29-2016, 07:44 AM
Lol .i have already been throwing alot of parts on my trike and I'm pretty sure the carb is my problem but I'm not to good with carburetors I am learning tho.. And I'm not sure or what year or what trike my carb came from I didn't build this auto-x I bought it this way .. I'm gonna go to the dealership maybe today or tomorrow and pick up everything I need that you guys mentioned ..and yes sometimes it pops on Decel I thought it was just my exhaust.. Are most jets universal from around 85 with the Keihin carbs?

yaegerb
09-29-2016, 09:46 AM
Post up the serial number on the carb. If I am remembering correctly, its on the front of the carb next to the air mixture screw.

Newrider
09-29-2016, 01:00 PM
You got it buddy... As soon as I get done work I will post it.. I have to work to pay for my trike and I need to fix up the trike so I gotta work ��

Newrider
09-29-2016, 01:07 PM
Also I have been searching for the copper crush o ring do u know off hand a site I can put what motor it's for and they can tell me what size o ring I need.. I'm having trouble finding what size I may need

yaegerb
09-29-2016, 01:14 PM
here it is on ebay.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/ATV/1985/ATC200S+A/MUFFLER/parts.html

And by the way, I have posted some 200x carb numbers below. In case you have a 200x carb.

1983 200x Carb serial: PD62A
1983-1985 Carb serial: PD62B

Newrider
09-29-2016, 05:23 PM
OK I think these are the right numbers 62bawh7 I think the last number is a 7 could be a 1 it's kinda iffy.. 235245

Newrider
09-29-2016, 05:24 PM
I got ya now I looked closer at the pic and put that pd together with the first 3 digits

Newrider
09-29-2016, 05:44 PM
I ordered the crush o ring now I'm gonna order the jets you advised me to order.. Thanks alot guys.. Thanks yeagerb.. Any more suggestions please post I'll take all suggestions and do it.. !!

Newrider
09-29-2016, 06:11 PM
I also ordered the shindy carb repair kit!!!!!

Newrider
10-03-2016, 04:01 PM
235381 got my jets now waiting on my carb rebuild kit and exhaust gasket should be here tomorrow!!

Newrider
10-03-2016, 04:44 PM
I just took the carb apart and am getting ready to clean it.. My pilot is a 40 and I have a new one and my main was only a 108

Newrider
10-05-2016, 06:38 PM
I wanted to thank u guys.. I got the carb rebuilt and clean and a 112 main jet and it's now running great I can keep it at an idle for the first time ever!! Thanks again guys!!!!

Newrider
10-05-2016, 06:47 PM
I'm still waiting for my exhaust gasket it should be here tomorrow.

350for350
10-05-2016, 10:44 PM
If you keep this up, you're going to think you have a new trike! Good job.

TwiZ
10-05-2016, 11:10 PM
I must have a stumper,i put up a post a few days ago and no suggestions lol

yaegerb
10-05-2016, 11:19 PM
I must have a stumper,i put up a post a few days ago and no suggestions lol

I must have missed it. Reply with a link to the thread.

TwiZ
10-05-2016, 11:23 PM
Thanks brother!!! http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/181236-Open-for-suggestions-high-n-low-idle