PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha ytm200e engine swap help

83ytm200e
09-28-2016, 09:28 PM
I recently picked up an '83 ytm200e "yamahauler" that is in need of a new bottom end. This machine is shaft drive, electric start, no reverse. Short of finding a direct replacement, can anyone tell me if I can use an engine out of an '85 200ern (shaft drive w/reverse)??

Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated.

350for350
09-28-2016, 11:44 PM
Without any direct experience, I'd say yes. The engines should be interchangeable. I just got done putting a ytm225dr engine in my ytm 225dx. They are both a 1985, but your engines should be basically the same. Just hang on to the whole donor trike until you're done. I used the wiring harness from the dx on mine and had no spark. Keep in mind that the dr was running about 3 years before and I rode the dx into the back of my truck to load it right before the swap. so I know that the electrical parts on both machines were good. I switched wiring harnesses and dash (for the reverse light) and presto! had spark. The only difference I could see between them was the dx had no reverse light. I'd recommend putting the ern parts on the e the first time. You could save yourself some frustration.

83ytm200e
09-29-2016, 06:58 AM
Thanks. Just to be clear, I don't have that engine or donor in my possession....I'm still in need of a lower end and saw that one listed somewhere (just the gear box, not the whole trike). I wouldn't do it just to gain reverse.... it would strictly be used out of convenience. I'll keep looking for the right one, but it would be good to know that I had the option of a couple of different power plants, should I come across a good deal.

Thanks and I look forward to being able to utilize (and contribute) to the knowledge here on the boards.

YamaBoss
10-02-2016, 12:52 AM
Shafts are different between the two. With the DX and DR swap you can use either shaft, not sure about the 200. Only difference in wiring is the reverse light.

redsox
10-05-2016, 07:59 PM
welcome aboard
guess who