PDA

View Full Version : 350x tank questions

bmddtucker
09-29-2016, 09:43 AM
I have a post lower about a 85 350x I purchased for my son, all original, and so on. I am sending the carb to a member on here for adjustments and a tune, it's a def fuel issue. As i stated the first owner made the decision to place a chemical, either por-15 or Kreem or something inside the tank although there was no rust for preventive measures, bottom line is, it wasn't done properly. So.... I have a few options, my first was to tank the tank to a guy I know who restores cushmans, builds street rods and let him do his work. Unfortunately, the stuff in most spots is ON there. Secondly, a expensive complete send out for restoration, which I'm not opposed to doing, but not right away. Another option is to try to re coat the tank with the best possible system out there, and any input on this would be great, or input on removing the garbage job they did since the tank has no dents and all the decals in tact, which I can replace. Last option if I have to search, or send out for a complete resto job, is I have access to a new stock capacity Clarke plastic tank so i can ride the thing when i want until I figure this out. Any help would be great.

thanks
Bryan

Ranvier
09-29-2016, 12:02 PM
At least you have the clarke as backup.

roostin atc
09-29-2016, 01:19 PM
I have a professionally restored tank I'd be willing to part with. Problem is 85 and 86 are different colors. I have a 86 shasta white with nos decals. I sold my 350 and I don't need it anymore. Pm me if your interested. Just looking to get what I got into it.

bmddtucker
09-29-2016, 06:07 PM
I sent you a pm

bmddtucker
10-01-2016, 10:57 AM
I'm seriously considering your tank, anyone have any experience with MEK? I see it all over the web, letting it soak, rinsing, then baking soda with water to neutralize, vinegars after mek, this tank is a headache. I local radiator shop said muratic acid, but they're backed up, and everything I see is instant rust afterwards. Por-15, Eastwood, ect are after liners, but there isn't one single person who hasn't had issues with peeling at some point. Yeah I have a Clarke tank, but seriously, it's a X and unless I wanna throw the original aspect away, I'm not going there.

Aulbaugh
10-01-2016, 08:12 PM
I've seen some nice tanks pop up on eBay from time to time. I'm kinda(not with the sealer)in a similar situation your in with the OEM tank being off my 250sx and using a plastic tank. I'm a bigger fan of metal vs the plastic ones, however as a temporary one, you can't go wrong. What's the cost of a professional restore of tank? IMO, 86 tank will stick out like a sore thumb, especially if your X is all original and nice(unless roostin atc is selling it too you cheap). Have you posted pics of it?

3wheel_life
10-01-2016, 08:22 PM
On an old SX tank, I used MEK and nuetralized with baking soda/water. I then put the open hole of the tank over an hvac register to let it completely dry for a couple days, (probably overkill, but I didn't wanna screw this up) and used red kote to seal. Had the trike for 2 years and never had an issue with peeling. As long as it's done right, and the inside of the tank is completely dry, red kote works very well.

jeswinehart
10-01-2016, 10:16 PM
Hey Bryan, do some checking around for Redcoat. I buy mine at O'Rileys auto parts store now. A lot of O'Rileys don't stock it but will order and have the next day if you ask them too.
No special prep needed. just vacuum out any loose crap (including what ever sealant used and then I use laquire thinner to rinse/flush out tank out (it dries out very quickly). Add redcoat + rotate tank,,, slushing it all over inside of tank.
The biggest thing about redcoat is to get ALL excess out + and patience to let it cure out.
Don't be in a particular hurry about anything including getting excess out,,,, take a half hour slushing it around. You will find you seem to draining ALOT back out of tank.
I am really surprised "Cream" tank coating is still on the market. It has to a perfect alignment of moon + stars and a splash of lucky for that crap to work right. Did not work for me and a whole lot of other folks,,,,
I prefer Caswell tank liner for the plastic Yamaha Tri~Z top mount tanks I make but have used Redcoat for a plastic Tecate tank with excellent results.
Caswell is a bit more tricky to use as far as mixing A + B ratios along with a few other PITA tricks to follow ~ works well on plastic as well as metal though.
Here are some "tank liner" threads (and issues of) that showed up in 3ww search for you to consider.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/search.php?searchid=10122441

john

bmddtucker
10-02-2016, 09:17 AM
I have a spare Clarke tank I got from a guy who owns a shop, used to race a flat track bike for him. Yeah it's original, right down to the dealer paperwork and sales tag, mud flap, tires, I pulled the grab bar, flap tires and small misc when I picked it up from a long time friend for my older son, who decided to not appreciate it. Wonderboy (Frank) on here is doing the carb for me, I was diagnosed with a 1 in 14 million neurological disorder, Ann Arbor missed it, and it now resides in my brain and stem. I was informed Friday, no further treatment is going to help, so it's my last restore project, with my 9 year old, as a memory thing, so I guess plastic tank now until I find a place to do the one I have, he just wants to go for a ride. Here's a pic of it right after I pulled the factory stuff.

bmddtucker
10-02-2016, 09:24 AM
I have a spare Clarke tank I got from a guy who owns a shop, used to race a flat track bike for him. Yeah it's original, right down to the dealer paperwork and sales tag, mud flap, tires, I pulled the grab bar, flap tires and small misc when I picked it up from a long time friend for my older son, who decided to not appreciate it. Wonderboy (Frank) on here is doing the carb for me, I was diagnosed with a 1 in 14 million neurological disorder, Ann Arbor missed it, and it now resides in my brain and stem. I was informed Friday, no further treatment is going to help, so it's my last restore project, with my 9 year old, as a memory thing, so I guess plastic tank now until I find a place to do the one I have, he just wants to go for a ride. Here's a pic of it right after I pulled the factory stuff.

bmddtucker
10-02-2016, 09:26 AM
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn6/bmddtuck/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160926_103719_zps56pjpl8k.jpg (http://s300.photobucket.com/user/bmddtuck/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160926_103719_zps56pjpl8k.jpg.html)

Aulbaugh
10-02-2016, 09:33 AM
Definitely a nice 350X! Sorry to hear about the diagnosis. Making memories is what matters!