PDA

View Full Version : Open for suggestions,high n low idle

TwiZ
10-01-2016, 07:18 PM
Hey guys,got a issue i would like to run past ya. I called myself diggin thru old post and couldnt find anything. My ole bonecrusher,84 200s, almost always fires up first pull,even after sitting for a spell. If its warm out i use half choke,cold full choke n kick choke off right away,idles ok for about 10 seconds and starts to climb,let it idle high for a few minutes and it will start coming back down till it stalls unless i feather throttle to keep it lit. I can turn idle up a titch,idles perfect for about 30 seconds and starts idling high and staysthere till i idle it back down,idles perfect for 30 seconds and just keeps repeating this process over n over. Runs great while riding,dont break up in any of the low,mid or high ranges. Carb has been cleaned several times of corse. So for a process of elimation i did compression test(right about 150)put on a new intake boot and o rings,swapped on the X carb and throttle assembly,ignition coil,cdi and the whole pulse gen.(the x runs perfect,starts first kick blabla bla with no issues)and also sprayed start fluid,wd40brake cleaner,propane,anything to detect a intake leak. No leaks on exaust,valves are adjusted,but after swapping all that on it still does it. Now,could a worn cam chain cause this? It is worn but is able to be adjusted to where there is no slapping or noise ect. Only other thing i can think of is that chain or the stator.. I even put the S stuff on the X and it did fine other than starve a little on top due to smaller carb. Spark plug looks beautiful.Any ideas would help alot....thanks for reading and hope some one has a clue as im kinda baffled

TwiZ
10-01-2016, 07:41 PM
Oh,i did just recently freshened it up about 2 weeks ago. It was smokin pretty good(ran same way) When i did the re-ring i threw a X piston in it which made her run a lil better. Had a big ride last sunday so i put it together without new chain cuz it didnt get here in time along with the puller for flywheel. I didnt sweat that because its easy enough to change in a hour or so,thats kinda why i thought cam chain but i have seen chains a heck of alot worse than the one thats in it and they didnt run like this. Just got the stuff today so ill be doin chain soon but still wondered if anyone ran across this. Ive ran across this issue plenty in the past but it was always one of the items i swapped that fixed it

yaegerb
10-05-2016, 11:29 PM
So you sprayed carb cleaner or equivalent all around the intake manifold, carb joints and airbox joints and no change in idle?
Have you rebuilt the carb yet?

TwiZ
10-05-2016, 11:36 PM
Oh yea,and like i said i pulled the one off my x,( i threw this S motor in my x cuz its gettin weisco,cam ect) i used all the x stuff on the s motor,new o rings no leaks anywhere. I got the flywheel puller today so the cam chain will be in tomorrow. I thought that springs were bad on pulse,and i even put pulse and cdi from x in. I say stator possibly cuz once the S stalled after about 4 hours runnin all day and real hot out and it quit sparkin. Waited 10 and started for ten feet and stalled again wash rinse repeat,until she came home on a leash. I changed in x ign coil and cdi

Sorry man, having a hard time following, so one thing at a time.

are you saying that you put an x carb on the s and it still acted the same way?

TwiZ
10-05-2016, 11:38 PM
Ive tried at least 4 different carbs new and rebuilt, no change,even different slide and cable

TwiZ
10-05-2016, 11:43 PM
If i ask somethin like this,ive exausted everthing possible and am stumped as heck... Its been kickin my butt for 3 yrs since i bought this thing...so ill elimate cam chain tomorrow, and a buddy gave me a stator...tomorrow will tell the tale.....i appreciate ya takin the time to answer

yaegerb
10-05-2016, 11:50 PM
Hmm, yeah if you have eliminated air and fuel then all that's left is electrical (spark). Are the valves adjusted within spec?

TwiZ
10-06-2016, 12:06 AM
Yep,i thought a refresh would help due to heavy smoke,fresh rings with X piston,reseat valves, even leak test and flashlight in dark room test on valves(i know valves usually pop but couldnt hurt) valve springs ect...i appreciate your time on this...dude im frickin stumped. When i was timimg it when puttin it together it was like the chain was a half tooth off,even monkyed with settin it up and back a tooth. Only thing i can think of is the cam chain or stator is givin effed up juice. It was doin funky while testing it with the meter...so im bettin on stator

yaegerb
10-06-2016, 12:10 AM
Sounds like good next steps. And if you are jumping teeth make sure the cam gear and crank gear are in good condition when you replace the chain.

TwiZ
10-06-2016, 12:13 AM
Just checked my ebay order,weisco piston,xl185s cam,new did cam chain n guides,barnett dirt digger clutch and gaskets will be here tomorrow for my X, cant wait!! Im hopin the xl cam n piston will give me the bottom and mid range i want,hope it will let me use a 13 tooth in the woods more likeable. I got 11,12 and 13 tooth i use depending on where im riding

TwiZ
10-06-2016, 12:15 AM
It hasnt jumped gears on its own,gears are good...i know you guys dont know me but ive owned nothing but 3 wheelers since i was 12 and im 50 now,build complete frame off jeeps using ignition parts from ford and chevy to build em...if im stumped i like to think others are too...was just hopin somebody ran into this. I have,but its always carb or intake leak. i did cam chain jumps just for process of elimination,wouldnt even start on acouple pulls so put it back,it always started on first pull. Cant thank you enuff for helpin me out