PDA

View Full Version : 1984 125m crank bearings. Anyone pulled them before? What about lower cam gear?

westsideriderz1
10-02-2016, 06:06 PM
As stated, i have a 125m where one side is bad. Ive ordered new bearings and plan to pull the old ones. But, the lower cam gear is in the way as well. anyone pulled on of those off before? Ill mark it to ensure alignment when done but I wondered if they had a woodruff key or how they align them from factory.

Thanks!~

shortline10
10-02-2016, 07:22 PM
Align a tooth center of the key way . You will need a bearing puller to remove the main bearings and cam sprocket .

westsideriderz1
10-03-2016, 12:18 PM
I have ordered a bearing puller set. Will the freeze/heat method work for reassembly?

shortline10
10-03-2016, 04:32 PM
No need to freeze or heat to install them back on the crankshaft .

I have ordered a bearing puller set. Will the freeze/heat method work for reassembly?

westsideriderz1
10-05-2016, 10:56 PM
Ok so I began pulling the bearings and here's what I found. Rather than pull the crank bearings off, one side performed better by just tightening the puller down and wedging between the crank and bearing. The cam shaft side was tricky. I found that just cutting the bearing off with a dremel was so fast and easy, that I would do it again. Cut the bearing and split it with a wedge. The dremel was much faster than expected.

I did have to freeze the crank and heat the bearings with a heat gun. They dropped right on.

The cam drive gear is pretty hard however. Due to its material (pot metal) it cools down very quickly. I may need to take it to a local shop and have it pressed back on.