PDA

View Full Version : newbie

loxboy1
10-07-2016, 01:08 PM
hey every one, new here to 3wheelerworld.

looking forward to talking with every one and getting my 1986 350x back up and running.

AK47KID
10-07-2016, 01:12 PM
Not gunna be a alot of talking here now. Dohcbikes got banned. He help ALOT of you new guys out. Guess I'll try to help my best but I'm not familiar with the 350x model. Any pics? Guys here love pics

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

yaegerb
10-07-2016, 01:21 PM

looking forward to talking with every one and getting my 1986 350x back up and running.

Welcome. You will find a wealth of knowledge from various individuals here. Don't hesitate to use the search function in the upper right hand corner of the screen to find what you are looking for. If you can't find the answer just ask. Also, if you don't have a manual yet, go to the link below and download one for free.

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

loxboy1
10-07-2016, 01:23 PM
i dont have any picks at the moment but i will post as soon as i take some.

i can't figure out how to post a new thread in Trikesylvania i don't see the new post link......

i have everything i need to finish my trike, really its just the rear axle bearing carrier I'm waiting to come in.

what I'm searching for is a case saver...... i punched a hole through my last case because i didn't have a case saver, thankfully i had a spare motor that i was able to use the side cover

yaegerb
10-07-2016, 01:30 PM
i dont have any picks at the moment but i will post as soon as i take some.

i can't figure out how to post a new thread in Trikesylvania i don't see the new post link......

i have everything i need to finish my trike, really its just the rear axle bearing carrier I'm waiting to come in.

what I'm searching for is a case saver...... i punched a hole through my last case because i didn't have a case saver, thankfully i had a spare motor that i was able to use the side cover

It takes 10 posts and a few months to be able to post anything outside of the newbie section. That's the "probation" period. Have fun, look around and it will be over before you know it. In the meantime, have you tried ebay or craigslist?

oldskool83
10-07-2016, 01:34 PM
Welcome

Hi I'm oldskool83

How may I help you with your order?

JacobMonster
10-07-2016, 02:12 PM

Welcome, welcome, welcome.

You'll like a lot of the people here. Like Yaeger said, there is a lot of knowledge here and a lot of awesome people ready to help.

Can't wait to see the progress on the trike. Make sure to update us as you make progress bud [emoji106] .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

loxboy1
10-07-2016, 03:50 PM
thanks everyone, my trike is in extremely good condition, it has never been restored, and we used to mudd it all the time, living in south florida thats really all the riding we have lol. right now i just want to get the rear axle back in and ride it again. she has been sitting for about 10 years.

any one have ideas how to clean the inside of the tank? its rusty

yaegerb
10-07-2016, 04:23 PM
thanks everyone, my trike is in extremely good condition, it has never been restored, and we used to mudd it all the time, living in south florida thats really all the riding we have lol. right now i just want to get the rear axle back in and ride it again. she has been sitting for about 10 years.

any one have ideas how to clean the inside of the tank? its rusty

There was actually a thread started not too long ago. I believe ATC tim started it and its a very good read.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/180855-Rusty-Tank-vinegar?highlight=vinegar

Rob Canadian
10-07-2016, 07:58 PM
Welcome to the forum. Lots of great people here. Great information.

How did you do with Hurricane Matthew?

Hefty
10-08-2016, 05:07 PM
Howdy,

I'm new here as well. If you want to do a killer job on the inside of the tank use metal rescue. It's $100 for 5 gallons but nothing works better, you can get it at Home Depot. I'm not a rep but when theres a difficult part that I can't blast theres nothing better. Just my 2C

loxboy1
10-08-2016, 11:43 PM
im down in south florida we didn't get much of it, out after noon storms are worse then what we got from mathew, north east of florida got slammed. have friends in palm coats which is just south of jacksonville, there still with out power.

loxboy1
10-08-2016, 11:46 PM
thanks ill look into it. i don't want to buy a plastic tank, i like the metal one because its factory.

shortline10
10-09-2016, 06:41 AM
Howdy neighbor and welcome to the forum , if you have any questions or if you need your atv serviced give me a shout .
I have a shop in west Davie :)

thanks ill look into it. i don't want to buy a plastic tank, i like the metal one because its factory.

NETRA3
10-09-2016, 02:13 PM
Welcome to the site......I have a 350x so ask away.....This is the place for all your 3 wheeling solutions....Also, hope you made it through the storm safe.

loxboy1
10-09-2016, 10:24 PM
I purchased a new complete axle bearing carrier, i have it in my hand. Looks pretty decent quality. What is gettting me is that it has sealed bearings but has a grease fitting in the center of the carrier....... after taking a closer look at the swing arm. Thera no possible way to grease the carrier once its in the swing arm.

And what is the purpose of the threadded hole in the bottom center of the tube on the swing arm that houses the carrier?

Rob Canadian
10-09-2016, 10:43 PM
Can you post up a pic of it?

shortline10
10-10-2016, 10:01 AM
The threaded bolt is a stop and start to keep you from rotating the carrier to far past loose and tighting of the chain .
The grease fitting is kinda useless with sealed bearings but it will help keep water out if filled .

I purchased a new complete axle bearing carrier, i have it in my hand. Looks pretty decent quality. What is gettting me is that it has sealed bearings but has a grease fitting in the center of the carrier....... after taking a closer look at the swing arm. Thera no possible way to grease the carrier once its in the swing arm.

And what is the purpose of the threadded hole in the bottom center of the tube on the swing arm that houses the carrier?

loxboy1
10-10-2016, 12:21 PM
that bolt is missing so i will have to replace it. upon further insepction of the swing arm and carrier....... is the only thing that keeps the carrier from rotating the to bolt you tighten on either side of the swing arm? thats all that holds it are those clamps in the swing arm?

shortline10
10-10-2016, 05:22 PM
After the brake stay theirs a big clip that keeps the carrier from falling out .
The pinch clamps are for adjusting the chain tension and keeping it in from rotating.

that bolt is missing so i will have to replace it. upon further insepction of the swing arm and carrier....... is the only thing that keeps the carrier from rotating the to bolt you tighten on either side of the swing arm? thats all that holds it are those clamps in the swing arm?

loxboy1
10-10-2016, 10:34 PM
i got the axle installed tonight. after installing it i realized that this thing isn't moving once its tighten down correctly lol. but now i need swing arm bearings haha.

and i still need a case saver!!

loxboy1
10-10-2016, 10:40 PM
trying to post pics, not sure if I'm doing it right

loxboy1
10-10-2016, 10:49 PM
I'm going to ride it for a while, then maybe tear it all down and do a full restoration, its mostly mud down here so thats why its not show pretty if your wondering

jeswinehart
10-10-2016, 10:58 PM
Lox, give Tapper a shout via PM about case savers. He may have a extra laying about. I have one in my personnel display cabinet and they are very functional + nice.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/120769-Tapperline-fender-braces?highlight=350x+case+saver

john

loxboy1
10-11-2016, 03:15 PM
Lox, give Tapper a shout via PM about case savers. He may have a extra laying about. I have one in my personnel display cabinet and they are very functional + nice.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/120769-Tapperline-fender-braces?highlight=350x+case+saver

john

thank you, i just sent him a PM

loxboy1
10-11-2016, 03:26 PM
also can someone educate me on what NOS means? like when someone refers to a NOS 350x motor or NOS fenders?

jeswinehart
10-11-2016, 03:48 PM
New old stock. Oem new stuff that's has not been used.

loxboy1
10-11-2016, 05:28 PM
ahhh, got ya, thanks

loxboy1
10-12-2016, 10:22 PM
Jeswineheart- tapper posted the case savers he had on 3ww store. I just purchased one thankyou very much.... and thankyou tapper for posting them.

Not sure how to thank someone on the fourm. But again thanks

jeswinehart
10-12-2016, 11:07 PM
Thanks Lox.
There is a feed back forum and most definitely Tapper has some. Use the search in upper right corner while in that forum and type in Tintapper or just tapper, you will be able to add to his feed back then.

loxboy1
10-13-2016, 12:49 AM
Will do.

Can anyone tell me the purpose of the hole through the swing arm bolt?? I was thinking about tapping the hole and incwrting grease fittings in to the ends, and drilling a few holes through the bolt so that i can grease the swing arm.

jeswinehart
10-13-2016, 08:43 AM
I don't know why they are hollow but I have done exactly as you are thinking by adding grease zirks to the ends, drill a couple of holes thru bolt.
I went ahead and done rear carrier as well on several trikes.

loxboy1
10-13-2016, 10:58 AM
how do you adjust the chain tension with the great fitting in the swing arm like that? doesn't it have to thread into the carrier.
that carrier you have in the first pic is the same one i just installed on mine.

what i did before i installed the carrier was i slid the carrier on the axle. pumped the carrier full of grease then slid the axle and carrier into the swing arm as one unit.

looking closely at the pic of the swingers..... it looks like you have a rubber seal that goes in the slits for the compression bands......?..... i do not have that, is that going to be an issue?

also what is the second picture of?

jeswinehart
10-13-2016, 11:47 AM
2nd. Pic is grease gun adapter I use for hard to reach locations,,, I thought it was another picture when I posted it.
I also drill holes in the steel spacer inside housing so grease can push outward to bearings. I remove the inner seal from bearings so grease can get to bearings themselves (main goal ~ right ?).
Yes, I would recommend to install the rubber pinch cushions.
That stopper bolt where I put zirks in is not needed imo,,, if concentric carrier is rotated over to far all that is going to happen is you be at absolute looseness. It is just a max stop,,, nothing more,,,, nothing less.

jeswinehart
10-13-2016, 11:50 AM
If you do drill the steel spacer (and I can't imagine not doing so) it is a very hard steel so carbon drill bits recommended.

atc300r
10-13-2016, 12:57 PM
From what I read in dirtwheels back in the day. The pivot bolt is hollow for more flexabilty and weight savings. The 85-86 250r pivot bolt is hollow aswell as the oem rear axle.
Will do.

Can anyone tell me the purpose of the hole through the swing arm bolt?? I was thinking about tapping the hole and incwrting grease fittings in to the ends, and drilling a few holes through the bolt so that i can grease the swing arm.

loxboy1
10-13-2016, 03:29 PM
i bought the carrier and berings as one unit, other wise i would have done exactly at you described about removing the inner bearing seals, but like i said i pumped it full of grease until it couldn't take any more.

my question for you is how do u grease the carrier while its in the swing arm?

also can you explain y i need the rubber pinch cushions? its never been there for as long as i can remember. i am the second owner how ever. (I've owned it for about 13 years)

That max stop bolt is missing anyways, and the new carrier doesn't have a stopper anyways.

jeswinehart
10-13-2016, 04:02 PM
The grease zirk,,, where the stopper bolt used to be,,, o squirt it in there. It will actually ooze out the sides of carrier where axle comes thru.
As far as those rubber cushion peices. They can be a real pita when reassembling but I've always made sure they was back in there. Heck, I don't reckon I recall what exactly they are there for ~ anybody know ?

Shep1970
10-13-2016, 05:51 PM
I always assumed they kept mud,dirt, and 99% of water out so it doesnt jam up when tightening/loosening chain.235723 got to find mine.

loxboy1
10-14-2016, 01:17 AM
Its already togather so im going to leave it. I will be drilling the holes in the swing arm bolt and putting zirks. Any recommendations of where to place the holes and how many? I dont want to make the bolt week

jeswinehart
10-14-2016, 05:09 PM
If I recall correctly I only do 2 small holes in pivot bolt, About 1/3 the way from each end.

loxboy1
10-15-2016, 10:59 AM
Shortline10- do u kno anyone in the are who could redo my seat? The foam needs replaced aswell

Action69
10-16-2016, 12:17 AM
I just sent my seat out to Tammy at cosmic quads however she is in Ohio.

loxboy1
10-17-2016, 10:36 AM
well i drilled the plot bolt got everything together and when i was tightening the bolt..... it broke :cry:. i probably fractured or fatigue the pivot bolt trying to remove it. it was seized to the swing arm bearings so it took a BFH and a lot of swinging. so i need a new one