PDA

View Full Version : Everyone else is doin it, why not me. 200x build

fort9erfan
10-15-2016, 04:26 PM
So a buddy and I keep an eye on the local trikes for sale and ran into a guy selling a couple 200x's. We talked him down to 500 for both as neither of em ran at the time 1 smoked but had a title, other ran clean few years back but no title. I took the titled smoker as i planned on rebuilding top end anyways. Got home with it and ordered a wife angering amount of parts. Top end kit, rings, carb kit, valves, chain, air filter, handlebars, grips and probably some other stuff i forgot to mention. Rear end bearings were good shape, rear shock was blown, rear hubs were missing lugs and in poor shape, gold front rim will have to go.

Plan on keeping it fairly stock engine wise, and maybe spruce up the looks a bit. I had a 200x when I was younger and rode the crap out of it for years so think im going to stick to reliability rather than high performance.

Next round of parts will probably be tires, maybe some plastics depending on if i can save any of the originals. I have a donor bike i picked up few months ago that has some itp rims and solid gas tank that will work out. Also pluck the rear shock, hubs off it. Pretty stoked!

p.s. I got the 85 with a black seat my buddy got the 84

greenhaze20
10-15-2016, 07:17 PM
Nice find, you got a great deal good luck with your rebuild! I like the wife angering amount.

drzdale47
10-15-2016, 08:49 PM
Best deal ive heard of thats insane

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

GrewuponATCs
10-15-2016, 11:30 PM
A lot better looking bikes than I recently acquired for the same amount... 84 and 85 also.

drzdale47
10-16-2016, 01:09 PM
The uglier the better i always say, you feel better once theyre all done!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

fort9erfan
10-18-2016, 11:53 PM
Well got most of the frame cleaned up, handlebars, and shock boots on. Got in my tires, went with some holeshots for the rear and kendas for up front. Was kind of pissed though, took tires and rims to be mounted at a local shop i found through a suggestion on FB was a rhino/razor type shop. They left big ass dents in each of the rear rims. The owner said that the old tires were "glued" into the beads so they had to fight em off. Dont know how true it was but it was kind of a backdoor do me a favor and mount these deal, so didnt know what else i could do but just take em home and trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro about it on here haha. Only cost 25 bucks so guess i got what i paid for.

Either way pretty stoked, once i polished up the rims and cleaned the mounting snot off tires they looked good. Next step will probably be cleaning up gas tank and recovering seat. Dont think im gonna go original colors, im liking the idea of all red/white with black accessories. Also looking forward to digging into the engine, rebuilt a few of my buddies the last year finally gonna do my own.

knappyfeet
10-19-2016, 12:51 AM
Looking good.

I like the red hubs...nice touch.

How's the geometry? From one of the pics it looks a little crooked but maybe its the angle.

schlepp29
10-19-2016, 11:02 AM
Looking good, can't wait to get both of mine done

fort9erfan
10-19-2016, 08:14 PM
Looking good.

I like the red hubs...nice touch.

How's the geometry? From one of the pics it looks a little crooked but maybe its the angle.

From what i can tell everything is pretty straight. Which area did you think looked off? maybe im missing something.

fort9erfan
10-22-2016, 05:08 PM
well last night got bored and cleaned up the gas tank, put on new seat cover, and mounted a L.E.D. light. Debating on getting new plastics or cleaning up old. I really like the 85 250r front fender and read that they will fit on 83-85 200x so might go that route, between fender and extended tank shrouds i think new rear plastics would look best.

Apple vinegar and BB's in tank worked great for knocking old rust off and luckily no leaks at all. Took a while to shake all the BBs out but was worth the effort.

Had to make little brackets for the L.E.D. light but they sit in the fork tubes pretty nice, I remember seeing a post about wiring them up on here that i will have to find again, think it included hooking up a little battery so that might be in the future as well.

fort9erfan
10-27-2016, 01:57 AM
Got plastics! The 85 250r front fender fit perfect, just pulled the hardware off the messed up original fender. Also pulled apart the top end, didnt look bad at all. Had aftermarket piston in it so i know it wasnt the first time it had been pulled open. Hopefully get it back together by the weekend and back in the bike.

Herboso
10-27-2016, 08:18 AM
Impressive! Nice work! I just bought an 84' dirt cheap and I will be starting to work on it this weekend to get it going. You are setting the bar very high. Keep us updated.

Ritz cracker
11-01-2016, 09:49 PM
I just got a 85 200x and a 81 250r. I was gonna do the r first but after seeing yours makes me want to do the x. Great build

x-rider
11-01-2016, 10:00 PM
I like it.

fort9erfan
11-03-2016, 12:24 AM
After rebuild compression tested good but didnt have spark. Once i checked over all wiring i realized i painted over the hole that grounds harness to the frame. Once i cleaned that up started right up! :p Messed with the carb lil bit and took it around the block. Adjustment screw seems like it cant find a perfect spot on the slide, i read in another post on here that it could be the worn in dent left on slide from the screw. So will try to smooth that out when i get a chance.

But was so stoked i took the wife out the next morning for a ride :). Her first time on a 3 wheeler so i stuck her with the 250sx, she loved it. 200x ran great, reminded me of the one i had when i was 16. Afterwards got home and washed em up, took some pics for the wallet haha.

So next will be figuring out a battery and regulator to get the headlights going right. Again these forums have been a great deal of help. i found a post explaining how one of yall did it so im just gonna follow that path, hopefully it works for me too. Also the kick starter misses gears when kicking. Very bummed about that seems only way to fix is to take apart lower end. That will be a job for another time, seems to work good enough for the time being.