PDA

View Full Version : Cant get tire off 125m

SHuculak
10-18-2016, 12:57 AM
i recently bought new rims with tire mounted on them and was going to put them on my trike but i cant get the one tire off.i tried to leave the hub on and just switch out the rims but the lugs and different. ive tried using a hammer but the hub never moved at all, i let it soak in wd40 for two days and sill nothing. any advice on how to get this off, not really an option to leave old one cause i paid 250 for new wheels, thanks for the help.:confused:

deejaycee_2000
10-18-2016, 03:06 AM
You need some hydraulic help .... if all else fails use a car jack ...

TwiZ
10-18-2016, 06:35 AM
I in no way condone this...but i have taken a good solid chunk of board set it right on the edge of the bead. Then i take my truck and ease up on the board to pop off bead. Ive had some stubborn ones,some times ya gotta drive up then down,spin tire,drve up bla bla bla,just make sure your valve stem is out. I have also set stubborn beads with starter fluid,but that i will not explain...lol

Shep1970
10-18-2016, 07:52 AM
So are u trying to get:

Tire off of the rim-
Hub off the old rim?
Or is hub stuck on axle- welded maybe?

TwiZ
10-18-2016, 11:08 AM
So are u trying to get:

Tire off of the rim-
Hub off the old rim?
Or is hub stuck on axle- welded maybe?
Yea i was kinda wonderin the same thing...could call for a hotwrench...

SHuculak
10-18-2016, 04:28 PM
sorry should have been more clear, the hub is stuck on the axle.

TwiZ
10-18-2016, 04:43 PM
Can you get the 3 or 4 bolts holding the rim to hub loose? If you can remove cotter pin,i think a 1/2" drive 19mm 6 point impact socket and impact gun and hammer that ho. No air tools,use a pice of pipe on a breaker bar. Heat it up good first

Shep1970
10-18-2016, 04:46 PM
Throw a 5lb bag of ice on axle near hub for 1/2 hour, then heat,heat,heat hub. The axle should contract (very) small amount and the hub will expand w/lot of heat (dont heat axle or try not to). Then get big hammer providing hub nut is off.

Then use the rest of ice for lemonade or (age) cocktails
Thats what i'd try, good luck
May want to wait for different replies though
Try not to bend hub, although it sounds like you already have different hubs that'll fit your new rims? Same splines
I ve never owned a 125, just letting u know

TwiZ
10-18-2016, 04:46 PM
But like shep said make sure it aint been pigeon defication(welded on) it amazes me how they get pigeons to deficate upside down and call it a weld

Jts trikes
10-18-2016, 09:06 PM
I've used a gear puller.

SHuculak
10-19-2016, 12:20 AM
i tried a gear puller and it didn't move ill try what shep said when i have time.

Shep1970
10-19-2016, 09:12 AM
Shuculak, if you can get puller on an get good pulling pressure, heat that hub up while you have pressure. Then just tap w/hammer. Should work but heat will be the key...as it comes off apply more pressure(or just bring it to a shop)

deejaycee_2000
10-20-2016, 02:50 AM
I normally use a chain to get my trailer's hubs off, not sure if this will work on this but I guess it is worth a try if you have no more options left .... you take a chain and bolt the one side onto the hub with the wheel nut, then you make a loop about half a meter and bolt the other side on the opposite wheel nut. You then take a nice big wooden pole and put it through the loop, ask a friend to help you and then tug this pole away from the hub, it will get it of in two tries no problem ...

HoldMyBeer
10-22-2016, 11:39 AM
Put the gear puller on it and tighten it until you're afraid it's going to break. Heat the hub a bit and beat it with a hammer like you mean it. It's no good to you as is right? It'll come off. Heat, hit, tighten puller, repeat. Use a real hammer

goodoldad
10-23-2016, 02:59 PM
try making a mixture of acetone and atf 50/50. let it soak for a day then try the above.