PDA

View Full Version : ATC 90 help

AaronJaworowski
10-19-2016, 06:12 PM
Hello, everyone. Names Aaron and I'm new to the form and three wheelers. I recently picked up a 78 ATC 90 that needed carb help and the pull start rebuild. Anyway I pilled the carb apart and cleaned it, and picked up a rebuild kit for the pull start. I am not having two issues. First off the pull start works well for about 40 pulls them stops pulling the rope in. Any advice on this? Next off is the carb. The bike has a hard time starting but once it starts it runs great. I tuned it in so it sounds and runs good but I am still having the starting issues. Any advice? I believe I am getting to much gas it starts to drop out of the over flow. Thanks Aaronhttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161019/5cdc4f01dd816c450e97a6d6c3770d16.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ghostv2
10-19-2016, 07:22 PM
If you are dumping gas out of the overflow it could be a number of things. If indeed you cleaned it well and put it back together correctly I would assume it's the float needle. That needle controls the flow of gasoline into the bowl. Often times they go bad and need to replaced. The hard start could be because of that. But also could be a number of other reasons. But start with getting your carb in order before you get into anything else.

The pullstart issue again, could be a number of things. I'm not sure on the quality of the parts on the rebuild kits. I've never had to buy one. But it could be you didn't wind up the spring enough when you rewound it. Could be the dogs aren't retracting from missing those little wire clips. Could be binding up somewhere. Have you tried taking it back off and inspecting it? Are you 100% sure you put it back together correctly?

That's a great looking 90 though.

AaronJaworowski
10-19-2016, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the reply, I am almost certain I wound the spring enough. It was getting to the point where you couldn't hold it with one person. I'm thinking maybe I sucked some more junk up in the carb from the tank. I don't see any fuel filter on the like is that could possibly be the problem.

Ghostv2
10-19-2016, 07:45 PM
Yea, spend a couple bucks on a fuel filter, clean out the lines and the carb one last time. Paying more attention to the passageway where the float needle seats. If that doesn't work try ordering a new needle. These old metal tanks tend to have a lot of junk in them. If the tanks pretty rusty there are a few threads on here with details on how to clean them with apple cider vinegar and making them look brand new again.

Since it sounds like you wound the pullstart plenty enough, I'd take it off and inspect the dogs. Make sure they engage and retract properly. As far as it only happening on such rare occasions, I can't say you'll likely find the cause just by looking at it and pulling it a few times. Maybe wait until it binds again and try taking it off? Maybe the cage that the dogs grab on to is bent or damaged? I have no clue without being there and looking at it.

AaronJaworowski
10-19-2016, 07:55 PM
Yeah I can understand that, I'll pull it all back apart and see what I find.

AK47KID
10-19-2016, 11:13 PM
I recommend this fuel filter. I run them through ascoria and sand and mud. It's held up great these are on amazon and ebay for various prices. Kn makes them and a couple other but they are the same design www.denniskirk.com/187191.sku?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&gclid=CIWpyI606M8CFQ9EfgodD9kDhA&ad=46766398717

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

AaronJaworowski
10-19-2016, 11:24 PM
Good to know, thanks!