PDA

View Full Version : Hi to all, new to atv/atc

Jmrjruffy
10-21-2016, 05:10 PM
Hi all, good to be on the forums. I have two bike both basically same problem. I can pull them behind my Nephews bike headlights work no fire and fromn what my test light showed nothing past the cdi, pulse generator had a ground everytime it went past the magnet, so I assume cdi? Heres the kicker, both do the same the 110 was my reliable go to before I got my 200x one day pulling it, to diagnose it shut off and did the samething. Anyother way to test? The only thing I havent done is try a working cdi, have tried the pulse gen but no go. No rush, I ordered all three cdi, coil, pulse coil. I guess my question is mainly could it be a sator issue even tho I have volts?

Rob Canadian
10-21-2016, 06:56 PM
Welcome to the forum.
Do you have a manual? If not there is a free downloadable from www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals.

What year is the 110 and 200X? (This may help out) I am still wet behind the ears here. Just want to get the ball rolling.

Do you have a DVOM? A meter?

HoldMyBeer
10-22-2016, 11:25 AM
If you've got a new plug and good wire but no fire I'd suspect CDI. Electrical drives me crazy. If you had lights then you're making power, just not getting the signal to fire. Odd both would do the same thing... Not very often have I seen CDI fail. And a known good one to test with would be great. I ordered a new ign coil not long ago and it was bad out of the box. Cost me many a moments of profanity

atc300r
10-22-2016, 12:24 PM
Just because the lights work has nothing to do with spark or ignition.Both run off different coils on the stator.Test the coils on the 200x.Clean all terminals.Also bypass your kill switch.

Jmrjruffy
10-22-2016, 06:51 PM
The 110 is a 83 the 200x is a 85 sorry about that. And my meter is a little cheap so its only accutrate to a point, thank you for the mannual link aswell. With it making power I was assuming the stator is good and not an option to be bad at this point. I didnt know if maybe it was split for some odd reason. All my switches are bypassed aswell, I went through this with my cbr and was able to get running, the only advantage was the cdi usually failed half at a time so it was easier at this point. Im still a bit new to this atv world, close to the same I like to have referenses though. Thank you for all the replys. Im still waiting on my cheapo cdi to try out, ill lyk and take pics.

Edit, so far I have a $70 breakbarrel shotgun in my X, from what I have got to experience I love it, perfect for my area. It had been raped and not put back together, I put it all back together and low and behold it ran for about two days then the timing chain tensioner snapped, got that fixed then lost spark lol so off to a rough on but anything that can pull the front tire like that is a friend to me. Also here s the cdi I ordered. http://m.ebay.com/itm/High-Performance-CDI-Box-For-Honda-ATC-200M-ATC-200S-ATC-200X-1983-1985-/172265739316?hash=item281bd69434%3Ag%3ApxUAAOSwtnp XoUuB&_trkparms=pageci%253Aec31fd5b-98aa-11e6-9f95-000c29d70d7f%257Cparentrq%253Aee9d195c1570a2a4f384 eaa9fffb9ac7%257Ciid%253A9Just thought id through that in there

RubberSalt
10-24-2016, 08:27 AM
Welcome to the forum.
Do you have a manual? If not there is a free downloadable from www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals.

Grab the manual and ohm out the stator. Then ohm out the ignition coil. If everything is connected correctly, and the coil has a good ground (no rust under bolt holes), it should fire unless the CDI is dead.

Jmrjruffy
10-24-2016, 04:49 PM
Thats what I was hoping so ill let everyone know how the china six pin works for it. I got my 110 running, my plug went bad again? Put a new one in and it fired right up no problem. I just got that plug that went bad, maybe a weak coil? Idk I have one on the way anyway.

Jmrjruffy
10-25-2016, 04:26 PM
UPDATE, just beat the heck outta my cdi, fired right up and ran all day. Still have a china one in route and will let you know how it does. Thank you everyone, glad to have the X running again

Jmrjruffy
10-29-2016, 05:33 PM
So apparently there is a lot of delay on my cdi and would like to have a reliable one so ill probably buy one from a junk yard tuesday unless someone has a good cdi with six pin close to southern missouri

Jmrjruffy
10-29-2016, 06:29 PM
Anyone know if I could just cut the cdi off my 110 and wire it in? Six pin to fice pin

Jmrjruffy
10-29-2016, 07:01 PM
I guess I do not understand the difference, I just put my box in my nephews 185s and it ran(off my 110). What gives, it should run mine?

Jmrjruffy
10-29-2016, 08:27 PM
So evidently the exciter coil could be a factor, didnt understand the stator til now

Jmrjruffy
11-11-2016, 08:23 PM
Just a quick update, the bike is running great now, I changed the stator from my 110 and put a more dry style on my 110. I found someone to barter with, luckily. Now to the cdi, my confussing little box. I have a six pin cdi that happen to share a ground in the cdi itself, all I had to do to get strong steady spark was hook a true ground to me pulse generator. Yay, for now already blew two tires.. lol 236776
Slipped my mind, I had a china cdi setting around that happened to have the connector I needed for a five pin cdi so now I can use five and six pin cdis... lol236778