PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Smoke [tobacco] Pipes?

Caminofeld
10-21-2016, 10:19 PM
I'm not a habitual smoker (I quit cigarettes in my early 20's cold turkey), but I do occasionally enjoy a cigar with a good beer or liquor. Recently, a retired MD I used to work and still shoot (and shoot the sh**) with began making pipes. He's quite a character and it turns out that before the Army and Vietnam he owned a tobacco shop where he made custom pipes. He's eventually planning on having some for sale and he has "seconds" that will be very cheap. He is very picky, and gave me a few beautiful "seconds" with flaws so minor I still can't find them. Anyways, just bored and thought I'd throw up a few pics of my favorite pairings…

Anybody else into pipes or cigars?

When he's ready to begin selling, I can put up a post with his work if anyone's interested.

(the only one of his in the pics is the rum one)

RamsesRibb
10-22-2016, 11:57 AM
That's really nice stuff. I would be interested in your friends work. Like you I don't smoke cigs, way to dry and harsh. I even grow my own tobacco in small batches.

RIDE-RED 250r
10-22-2016, 10:20 PM
I smoked a pipe occasionally for a few years starting when I was about 17 years old. Loved the smell of a pipe, still do to this day.

Caminofeld
10-23-2016, 02:37 AM
That's really nice stuff. I would be interested in your friends work. Like you I don't smoke cigs, way to dry and harsh. I even grow my own tobacco in small batches.

Awesome! Can you offer some advice or tutelage on tobacco growing?

RamsesRibb
10-24-2016, 03:02 PM
Pretty simple to grow. Plenty of sunlight. Rich soil. Water occasionally. Daily if using pots. You can actually grow straight inside of a potting soil bag. They are pretty bug resistant due to the nicotine being insecticide.
Plenty of cultivars available. You can grow different strains and blend them. The hardest part is the drying process. There is different ways age and dry using heat, but I normally just tie the leaves up and hang them in the shed which is warm and humid due to where I live.

jays375
10-25-2016, 08:15 PM
I enjoy smoking a pipe.My did and loved the smell.Luckily I have a real tobacco shop locally.They blend their tobacco and it really good stuff.

JayBone
10-26-2016, 11:02 AM
I smoke a pipe. It's a great relaxing thing to do while watching tv or at a bon fire. Black Cavendish is what I mostly smoke. Started out with the old corn cob, now have a few decent pipes (8). After using these 8 for a few years I'll upgrade to some top notch pipes. I purchased several from Amazon and the local shop.
Pipes:
1) Grand Duke Smokes great!
2) Missouri Meerschaum Ozark Mountain Hardwood Tobacco Pipe Straight Smokes great!
3) Tobacco Pipe - Model No: 302 Danken Duke

Gearheadtom
10-30-2016, 08:18 AM
I started to get into pipe smoking a little, but been having trouble getting the packing of the pipe right, as well as the moisture of the tobacco. So for now I'm back to smoking Backwoods cigars, something I have time for on my lunch break at work.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Caminofeld
10-30-2016, 08:44 PM
I started to get into pipe smoking a little, but been having trouble getting the packing of the pipe right, as well as the moisture of the tobacco.

Takes a little practice. First off, I highly recommend a tamper (or a .308 shell). Sprinkle it in loosely, gently tamp, and repeat until the desired amount is in. Light it, let it go out, then gently tamp again. This creates a "scab" and you're ready to smoke. Light it thoroughly and enjoy. When the smoke starts to get weak, tamp again and relight if necessary (I usually relight a time or two per bowl because I like to be social and it goes out while I'm yappin'). That being said, sometimes a tobacco can be excessively moist and this can usually be remedied by leaving it out for a day in the sun. I like mine a little moist, and sometimes get "gurgle" in my base. Too dry and it burns too hot/fast and loses flavor. What tobacco do you use?

While on that note, what tobacco do you guys like? Anybody ever order from www.pipesandcigars.com?

Anyways bro, keep at it and you'll be stylin' it up at work in no time…and giving your coworkers the gift of pleasant aroma...

Caminofeld
10-30-2016, 08:47 PM
Oh, and make sure your pipe is clean…sometimes a flake can obstruct the suck-hole (lol). People also forget about filters and leave them in; resulting in an unhappy ending.

Pipes also have a "break-in" period and take a month or 2 of consistent use to smoke the best. What kind of pipe do you have?

Caminofeld
10-30-2016, 08:49 PM
Thanks Rames, I'm planning on trying it next year!

kiser
10-30-2016, 09:04 PM
Good tips on smoking a pipe here. I bought a cheepo pipe 3 years ago on my honeymoon. I smoked 1 bag of tobacco and never smoked it again. I can't remember what kind of tobacco it was?? I couldn't keep it lit at all and I never tried again. I'm going to dig it out and give it another try. I love the smell!

Gearheadtom
10-30-2016, 11:26 PM
I've got a cheepo wood pipe, and I've got a slightly less cheepo wood pipe from a local flea market, would like to buy a cob from Missouri Meerschaum. I've only ever tried Colt Gold and Backwoods pipe tobacco. Local shop to me is more of a head shop so selection is quite limited. Problem I mainly have is keeping it lit, I had to puff almost constant, then the pipe gets to hot and I start getting bad tongue bite. I think it comes down to my packing technique and to much moisture, I seem to get a lot of gurgle.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

kiser
10-31-2016, 11:42 AM
Same here on everything you said^^^ I dug my pipe out last night and I'm going to try it again with some new techniques.