PDA

View Full Version : 1983 ATC200e NO Spark

rocks
10-25-2016, 09:57 AM
Hey all,

First time on this forum and first time on Trike fixing.
This is about a 1983 ATC200e. It sat for awhile, and now time to comeback to life.
I am experiencing a no spark issue, and here is what I have done.
-Cleaned all the connector and the ground
1- Battery is fully charged
2-Changed the spark plug
3-Changed the CDI Unit (New)
4-Mesured stator resistance between Black/Red to the ground (Using two different multi meters- one measured 226 and the other one .202 k Ohms )
5-Mesured the primary and secondary on the coil (Primary: 0.3 Secondary:3.81 )
6-Mesured the pulse generator (I believe Blue/Yellow and Green: 29 )
7-Mesured the AC output at the stator Black/Red to Ground : 19.5V
The engine cranks, but I am not getting any power to the plug.
Is there anything else I need to do or something hidden I don't know of?

I hope someone will shine some lights over here.

Thank you

AK47KID
10-25-2016, 05:05 PM
Try your ignition coil

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

TwiZ
10-25-2016, 05:26 PM
Not sure about the E but i know a 83x pulse gen is 30-150 and after 83,50-150 and coil is barely in range at 0.3...secondary 0.2-0.8 and primary is 3-5k if i remember correctly.exciter coil(ignition stator,black/red) should be 100-400, i think. Lighting coil and battery has nothing to do with spark except turning starter and charging battery. Take your switch off trailprotrailpro handlebars and check it. Did you pull plug,groung it to motor and whirl it over? I cant remember for sure but i think my ign stator put out close to 30v ac. Check it see if power going to coil when unplugged and pos of meter in connector and neg to ground on meter. See if you get juice. Pull plug wire off and put one end of meter in the cap other end on plug wire where it goes in coil. Try twisting cap on wire tighter. Sometimes ya gotta take it off,cut 3/8" off and screw cap back on. Ive seen bad caps too..check continuity by one lead on lil screw in wire end and other lead where it goes on plug,Like ak said try a different coil

Hopper055
10-26-2016, 01:14 AM
Pull the cover on the side of the motor that says "CDI" Under there is a rotor and pick up. Bring the rotor around to the pick up and regap to .3-.4mm. This helped me with weak spark on my 185s. Also check all grounds make sure there is shiny metal contacting shiny metal. You can spread dielectric grease on the metal to make sure it doesn't corrode. You can cut 1/4 of a inch off your spark plug wire ends to be sure you are getting a good connection on both ends(be careful not to make it too short). If stock the boot just spins off and the coil has a nut you can loosen to remove the plug wire. Now that I think about it First try to Disconnect the kill switch be sure the trike is in neutral(If this ends up being the problem please don't ride like this). I hope one of these solutions end up helping. Good luck and welcome to the fourms.

Hopper055

rocks
10-26-2016, 01:44 PM
Not sure about the E but i know a 83x pulse gen is 30-150 and after 83,50-150 and coil is barely in range at 0.3...secondary 0.2-0.8 and primary is 3-5k if i remember correctly.exciter coil(ignition stator,black/red) should be 100-400, i think. Lighting coil and battery has nothing to do with spark except turning starter and charging battery. Take your switch off trailprotrailpro handlebars and check it. Did you pull plug,groung it to motor and whirl it over? I cant remember for sure but i think my ign stator put out close to 30v ac. Check it see if power going to coil when unplugged and pos of meter in connector and neg to ground on meter. See if you get juice. Pull plug wire off and put one end of meter in the cap other end on plug wire where it goes in coil. Try twisting cap on wire tighter. Sometimes ya gotta take it off,cut 3/8" off and screw cap back on. Ive seen bad caps too..check continuity by one lead on lil screw in wire end and other lead where it goes on plug,Like ak said try a different coil

The ignition coil is within the specs as the manual stated.
I don't understand what exactly the exciter coil(Black/Red) is suppose to do rather than sending a signal to the CDI Unit. It's voltage is AC not DC. It also checked good for resistance.
I did pull the handlebar switches, cleaned them and made sure they weren't shorting.

Now you mentioned checking the power at the ignition coil. What setting the multi-meter should be at? AC or DC? And are you referring to the Black/White wire that's coming from the CDI Unit?

I unplugged the plug. Grounded it to the engine and even to the frame without any result.

What powers the CDI Unit? Is it the exciter coil? If so why is it AC?

Thanks

TwiZ
10-27-2016, 02:34 AM
The black\red is ac voltage to cdi from stator.should be 20v or more,mine read 35v
Yea stator is ac voltage. Not really sure on coil try DC.should be 12v.don't read try ac.Not sure why its ac but it is. Maybe for bigger punch the cdi needs with using smaller gauge wire,idk

Sent from my A463BG using Tapatalk

rocks
10-30-2016, 12:58 PM
The black\red is ac voltage to cdi from stator.should be 20v or more,mine read 35v
Yea stator is ac voltage. Not really sure on coil try DC.should be 12v.don't read try ac.Not sure why its ac but it is. Maybe for bigger punch the cdi needs with using smaller gauge wire,idk

Sent from my A463BG using Tapatalk

Sent from my A463BG using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Ok, I put a new CDI Unit and a new Exciter Coil. Still no spark.
The ignition coil is good, but now I am suspecting the pickup coil. What is the resistance between those two wires (Blue/Yellow and Green)?

I took the pickup coil out for testing, and I found out the the copper thing that senses the signal is shorted to its frame (the pickup coil holder which also bolted to the engine). Is that a normal thing ? That doesn't make sense to me.

TwiZ
10-30-2016, 05:35 PM
83: 30-200
After 84: 50-150
Im not sur what you mean,but i hope you scribed where the pulse gen mounting plate was in corelation to the mounting surface. That changes your timing

HamboneKS
10-30-2016, 07:00 PM
Do you have a schematic to check and make sure you have everything hooked up right? Might seem stupid but I've fixed most of my no spark issues in the past with a good understanding of the schematic. Some times it's a bad switch, sometimes wires are terminated in the wrong locations, could be a neutral safety switch you didn't even know was there. Murphy's law I guess.

Good luck!

rocks
11-03-2016, 05:50 PM
I got new Exciter coil, new CDI Unit, new Ignition coil, new pickup coil, new advancer and multiple spark plugs and still no spark.
Cleaned all the contacts and connectors. Took apart all the handlebar switches,but still no go.
It spins over really good, just no spark

deejaycee_2000
11-04-2016, 02:33 AM
Try a different spark plug ....

danbur55
11-04-2016, 05:39 AM
Unscrew plug cap. Hold wire close to head and turn motor to see if you get a spark. Cap may be bad or need to trim wire

rocks
11-04-2016, 09:38 AM
I pulled the plug and ground it to the frame, ground it it to the head still nothing.
I used 5 different plugs and still no sign of a spark.

danbur55
11-04-2016, 08:13 PM
Caps go bad as well as plugs

Rob Canadian
11-04-2016, 08:17 PM
Honestly at this point I would look at the wiring harness. Heck all it is going to take is 1 none good signal to the CDI unit or whatever and bam. No spark.

Also while testing I would wiggle the harness. See an open in a wire using OHMS. With that said. A voltage drop in the system may also be an issue. IE. You can OHM a wire and it comes out OK. But a voltage drop between the beginning of a wire and the end under load (starting) may drop.

All it takes is 1 strand of wire to make contact and OHM reading is good. Under load the voltage drop 'maybe' too much for a unit to run.

I am no expert. I see your frustration.

rocks
11-05-2016, 01:21 PM
The CDI Unit has 5 wires.
Black/Red from Exciter coil (Has same voltage coming from the exciter)
Green is the ground (Made sure it was grounded)
Black is the cut off switch when the key is off.
Black/White goes to the ignition coil (The ohm reading is good)
Blue/Yellow to the pickup coil (And it's good)

I ordered another CDI Unit, and hopefully that will do it.

The one I just got wasn't reading all the ohms the manual is suggesting.