PDA

View Full Version : Governmental priorities

RamsesRibb
10-31-2016, 10:01 AM
I was reading a work review letter and noticed this article:

"Covering up a deadly hit-and-run with a false insurance claim deepened the quagmire for the driver and her daughter, California prosecutors say. The case: Goar Davtyan was driving her daughter Alina’s white Camry in Glendale, Calif. Alina was a passenger. Goar struck elderly Martiros Arutyunyan, who was legally crossing the road. She sped off without helping him. He died of head injuries at the hospital. Alina filed a claim, saying the damage came from a different collision. She wanted to get the car repaired and hide her mother’s involvement as driver. Yet surveillance video around the scene confirmed Goar hit Arutyunyan. Alina is charged with insurance fraud and being an accessory; she could spend 5 years in county jail if convicted. Goar faces only 4 years for felony hit and run."

Now what bothers me is that it is a more serious crime to lie to an insurance company than it is to kill someone and try to run.

Does anyone here have any experience or knowledge of things like this?

fabiodriven
10-31-2016, 06:23 PM
I don't think many people are realizing your perspective of this Ramses. I'm picking up what you're putting down.

El Camexican
10-31-2016, 07:24 PM
Maybe you can clarify something for me. Are you saying that the four years for the hit-and-run are applicable even if there is a manslaughter charge with it? If so that's insane.

I can see where insurance companies would have lobbied over the years to get lawmakers to protect themselves as much as possible, but I can't believe that vehicular manslaughter carries only a four year sentence.

Scootertrash
10-31-2016, 10:13 PM
I don't think many people are realizing your perspective of this Ramses. I'm picking up what you're putting down.

I think plenty of people understand it. He didn't ask for opinions, he asked:

Does anyone here have any experience or knowledge of things like this?

I think the lack of responses is because no one can answer the questions.

A quick Google search yields mainly Attorney websites, but this is from one:

Hit and Run Causing Serious Bodily Injury or Death (CVC 20002(b)(2).)
Hit and Run Punishment
Hit and Run Punishment for Causing Serious Injury or Death

A hit and run that causes serious bodily injury to another or results in death may also be charged as a wobbler. However, due to the more serious nature of the crime, the penalties are more severe. If you are convicted of a misdemeanor violation under CVC 20001(b)(2), you face a hit and run punishment of:

A minimum of 90 days and up to one year in jail;
A fine between $1,000 and $10,000 dollars; or
Both, imprisonment and a fine.

However, in the interests of justice, the court may reduce or eliminate the mandatory minimum 90-day sentence.

If you are convicted of a felony violation under CVC 20001(b)(2), you face a hit and run punishment of:

Two, three or four years in prison;
A fine between $1,000 and $10,000; or
Both, imprisonment and a fine.

Hit and Run Punishment After Vehicular Manslaughter

If you leave the scene of the crime after committing vehicular manslaughter as described in Penal Code Sections 191.5 or 192(c)(1), your hit and run punishment can be enhanced by an additional, consecutive term of five years in prison.

Insurance companies have nothing to do with setting penalties for crimes. The burden lies completely on Politicians and Lawyers. Interestingly, other states have penalties of 3 years, like Minnesota.

I agree, that's f'ed up