PDA

View Full Version : I screwed up my 1983 185s

funvtec
10-31-2016, 05:06 PM
Hello and thanks for a great forum of info. I decided to use my 185s to tow my snowmobile out of my shed while the sled had its parking brake applied. Yea it didn't move. Regardless to say I have her hell trying to budge the sled before I realized what I did. I ended up dragging the sled out by hand and parking the trike. The next time I took the trike out it won't shift. Can't find neutral. And only seems to shift up. Or it's stuck in 1 gear. Not sure. Only time it's in neutral is when I'm pushing and holding the shift lever down. Then when I let up it ends up in whatever gear it's stuck in and won't let me shift down to neutral. It starts and moves under its own power. Just doesn't allow me to go through the gears.

So what do I look for? I'm very mechanically inclined. However I've never messed with one of these.

Thanks for any help

Harold

shortline10
10-31-2016, 06:02 PM
Pull the clutch cover off , sounds like something is going on with the shifter star .

AK47KID
10-31-2016, 07:48 PM
What shortline said. I would look at your tyranny gears too.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Jts trikes
11-03-2016, 10:40 AM
Take a good look at the manual clutch while you are in there also.

funvtec
11-08-2016, 06:48 PM
https://youtu.be/cSZA65VVs4I

Here is what I got. I'm guessing it's internal. Any suggestions?

funvtec
11-17-2016, 04:07 PM
Anybody got any ideas. I'm getting ready to just unload it for parts.

shortline10
11-17-2016, 05:01 PM
Use a 10mm socket on the shift star and see if you can make it shift . You need to rotat the output sprocket shaft while trying to make if shift .

funvtec
11-17-2016, 06:06 PM
thanks. yes i can indeed shift it through the gears using this method i have gone up and down while rocking the act back and forth and it seems to have freed up doesn't seem to shift with the shifter yet at least not accurately. i may be able to shift but it doesnt always respond how i want it to while going up and down

shortline10
11-17-2016, 08:27 PM
Then it's time to replace the shifter and star set up .

funvtec
11-17-2016, 08:49 PM
Then it's time to replace the shifter and star set up .

I appreciate your help. Thank you. What would be the path typically taken? Buy a junk one and swap parts?

shortline10
11-17-2016, 08:57 PM
See if the parts are available new first and if not eBay is probably best .
Partzilla is a good source for the new parts .

funvtec
11-17-2016, 09:20 PM
according to that site just about everything id try to replace is obsolete. I'll work a bunch and see if i can free it up hopefully that will be enough. then start looking for junk ones i guess. Or i might just junk it too.

thanks again for your help

funvtec
11-20-2016, 06:53 PM
Good news. Everything works. After moving that star wheel a few times with the ratchet it seemed to loosen up. Started working the shifter by hand and it wasn't perfect but it shifted. So put it all back together put some oil in and test drive and all is well. Just need to adjust the clutch now

Rob Canadian
11-20-2016, 07:51 PM
That is good news. Keep us updated on the next drive.

Weird of what happened. Can't shift... Maybe something. debris got into the shifter mechanism(?)

Junglegeirge
05-13-2017, 10:51 AM
Im new to this forum, joined to find some answers myself. Have a 185s was driving it around in the snow playing around then fired it up after awhile of sitting and seems to be stuck in 4th wont go up or down. The shift lever just kinda wiggles. Anybody have any answer or suggestions for me that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks