PDA

View Full Version : '74 ATC 90 - Daytona Orange - New Member

CSM
11-03-2016, 08:40 PM
Hey All,
Just thought I'd say hello. Great site, and happy to be a part of the fun and glory. Been a long-time dirt bike guy (love my Honda CR500), and now venturing into the three-wheeled world. Looking forward to learning from you guys - found tons of info already on this site.

Just picked up an original 1974 ATC 90 - Daytona Orange. Still has the original OHTSU Balloon Tires and all. Tank is beautiful, no dings, no scratches. Put her up on some blocks for a thorough cleaning, and then can't wait to get her out to ride. I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions, and now I know where to go.

First question - do I keep the balloons on, or do I update to the newer knobby tires (22x11x8 CST brand?) and keep the balloons nice and clean up on the shelf in a safe place?

Any other tips?

Thanks guys,
Dave

HairyJR
11-04-2016, 12:27 PM
Welcome to the madness. Pic's are always welcome too. Replacing the balloon tires depends on how much you plan on riding and where. You'll need two adapter plates for the rear axle hubs and another up front if you don't replace to a '75 and newer axle/hub assembly. The best storage advice with balloon tires on the bike is to raise off the ground eliminating flat spot cracks.

"HJ" 236591 :beer

CSM
11-05-2016, 10:26 PM
Thanks HJ, appreciate the reply. Great advice, thanks. I took off the balloons, wiped them down, and put them up on the shelf. They've got just enough air in them to keep their shape, but not over inflated. Hoping to keep them in good shape.

Great - will get the adapter plates for rear end, and newer axle/hub for front end. Many thanks.

Having a blast clearing her down and getting her back into shape. Pics to come.

Just out of curiosity, what is the "go to" hub/tire to use?

Thanks guys,
Dave

HairyJR
11-06-2016, 12:23 AM
The tire size you mention in the first post is the most common size, 21" works well too. Tire size will be driven by the adapter plate style you choose, 3 bolt on 100mm bolt circle pattern is standard for 8" wheels. Not as common where plates and steel wheels with 5 on 4 1/2" bolt pattern.

"HJ" 236625 :beer

CSM
11-06-2016, 01:52 PM
Thanks HJ,
Very helpful. Where's the best place to find the adapter plates - eBay? Also, are there any particular online stores, or private guys that specialize in this stuff? Found a few online, but if there's a better place than others, would love to know.

One other question - the seat foam is a little chewed up, and I need a seat cover. 1. Where do I get both, 2. What's the best way to fix this? Do I need any other materials that I may not be aware of? Done a bunch of seats on a dirt bike, but never on an old trike like this.

Thanks guys,
Dave

Joseph Farrow
11-06-2016, 03:53 PM
Seat Cover and Foam:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Saddlemen-Replacement-Black-Seat-Foam-and-Cover-Kit-Honda-74-78-ATC90-/401172473713?fits=Make%3AHonda%7CModel%3AATC90&hash=item5d67be2771:g:cFgAAOSwgZ1XtHlq&vxp=mtr

Wheel Adaptors:
http://www.vintagemotorsports.net/store-chassis.htm

CSM
11-06-2016, 06:21 PM
Very helpful, thanks a lot Joe. Great info

Dave