PDA

View Full Version : 1987 Honda Big Red ignition button/nuetral light starter issue

ddccoffey
11-07-2016, 05:30 PM
Have 1987 Honda Big Red ATC250 bought new in July 1987. When I push the ignition button the green neutral light fades or flickers and starter will not turn. Battery is good, replaced starter solenoid relay because it was cheap, can kick start with no problem. Can turn switch to on and run wire from battery positive post to starter and the starter cranks the 3 wheeler with no problem. Any ideas on what to trouble shoot next? I've got an issue somewhere between the starter ignition button and the starter. thx in advance.

redsox
11-07-2016, 08:12 PM
make sure you have clean connections. check to see that the 3rd wire out of the solenoid has got a clean connection also. do you have a test light?

Rob Canadian
11-07-2016, 08:36 PM
As the light flickers or fades I would be looking at the neutral safety switch circuit. Look at connections.

ddccoffey
11-08-2016, 05:07 PM
make sure you have clean connections. check to see that the 3rd wire out of the solenoid has got a clean connection also. do you have a test light?

Thanks guys I have a test light somewhere. I'll run down that 3rd wire coming off the solenoid and find that safety switch circuit and check it.

ddccoffey
11-09-2016, 05:44 PM
Problem was a loose connection between starter relay and battery. The test light comment got me to thinking. The neutral light was not flickering due to voltage spikes but flickered as the motor rough idled. The rough idle caused a slight shake at the starter relay connection which caused the light to flicker. if I have it a little gas so the motor would run smooth the light stayed bright.

New connection and all is well.