PDA

View Full Version : 200X kick starter question.

Herboso
11-08-2016, 02:45 PM
I have read about the kick start on the 200X is notorious for wearing out prematurely. I recently picked up a 200X and have noticed the kick starter works but seems like it doesn't always engage. So what is the fix for this? I got to replace a spring or is there more to it? Is it a simple fix? It is working most of the time now. If I fix it now, is it easier and will it prevent worse damage later?

yaegerb
11-08-2016, 03:43 PM
The issue with the 200x kicker gears are two-fold.
1. The ratchet and kicker gear teeth have a poor meshing surface and eventually get to the point where instead of engaging they slip past each other. See below; the teeth I am referring to are the ones that engage to the ratchet to the right of the gear.

2. The other weak point is the ratchet spring. It wasn't designed "stiff enough" to adequately push the ratchet assembly together. Again, when this spring becomes weak, it loses the ability to adequately press the gears together. See below, the spring is the small one on the right.

I have tried two different methods to fix and only one solved the problem permanently. First method was to back-cut the teeth for stronger meshing of the gear. I can tell you that didn't work. The second method was to order an entire heavy duty upgrade kit from Shortline10 (here on the boards). That did the trick, but I don't know if he has any left.

Lastly, I will tell you that this is the most complex fix on this motor because you have to split the cases and take everything off to replace this mechanism. When reassembling the engine it's literally the first item that goes in. The Honda engineers quite honestly screwed this design up.

greenhaze20
11-08-2016, 04:05 PM
Nice post, I have the same issue. I was thinking of putting two springs in or find a stiffer spring. Also messaged the shoreline 10 guy. Poor design by Honda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yaegerb
11-08-2016, 04:24 PM
Nice post, I have the same issue. I was thinking of putting two springs in or find a stiffer spring. Also messaged the shoreline 10 guy. Poor design by Honda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will tell you a spring alone won't do it. You literally need a fresh set of gears. If you can't find the HD, then I would hold out for a set of NOS gears.

I see that the gear and ratchet are still available on partzilla, but the kickstarter ratchet spring is not.

PINION, KICK STARTER (21T)

28211-KT0-770

RATCHET, KICK STARTER

28221-437-000

SPRING, KICK STARTER RATCHET (NOT AVAILABLE)

28253-965-010

Here's a spring on EBAY
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Honda-Spring-1983-1985-ATC200-28253-965-010-/361452707923?hash=item542842a053:g:-IsAAOSw3KFWdf2y&vxp=mtr

Justin 200x
11-10-2016, 11:22 AM
I have tried two different methods to fix and only one solved the problem permanently. First method was to back-cut the teeth for stronger meshing of the gear. I can tell you that didn't work.

Just curious what didn't work for you. I did that and while it's not ideal, it did work. The problem I have is the pedal takes further to engage so you don't have as much throw. Most of the time it starts easy enough that it doesn't matter. I do plan to take it apart again though and do it right. [emoji3]

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

yaegerb
11-10-2016, 12:41 PM
Just curious what didn't work for you. I did that and while it's not ideal, it did work. The problem I have is the pedal takes further to engage so you don't have as much throw. Most of the time it starts easy enough that it doesn't matter. I do plan to take it apart again though and do it right. [emoji3]

likely it didn't work for me because I was running 13.5:1 compression. It was my race motor. Back cutting may work fine for stock compression or a mild build, but mine just kept slipping.

Justin 200x
11-10-2016, 02:16 PM
likely it didn't work for me because I was running 13.5:1 compression. It was my race motor. Back cutting may work fine for stock compression or a mild build, but mine just kept slipping.
Copy that. Ya that may have something to do with it. [emoji3] I agree, It's still not ideal though.

dmfaulks85
11-20-2016, 10:33 PM
When I rebuilt my 200x I shimmed the spring. I've been using it for 3 years now with no slipping yet.