PDA

View Full Version : Spark advance installation ???

Wandy67
11-11-2016, 11:38 AM
Hi guys, I have a 1984 atc200m and the return springs for the spark advance is broken, ( one of them) the bike usually starts first try, but always fouling plugs. what is the best way to get at the spark advance and to put a new one on?? thanks for any info/advice

83ATC185
11-11-2016, 02:19 PM
Welcome aboard :welcome:

I replaced my advancer with one from an xr.

I believe they are still available from Honda (any 200 series advancer will work) although pricey.

Maybe someone will chime in with a source for just the springs?

Just mark and remove the pulser, and take out the 10mm bolt and washer holding the advancer on, and it should pull right off, be careful not to lose the dowel pin that goes on the cam.

Be careful not to get the center rotor for the advancer turned around backwards if you take it apart to clean it, it will fit both ways in the base.

Wandy67
11-11-2016, 03:13 PM
thank you very much, I can get a new oem spark assembly unit for 83 atc 200 ( will order as soon as i can) right now I can grab the mechanical advanced on the rotor and move it back and fourth, a little play in there, wondering if that's supposed to be?

so remove the screws holding the pulse coil on, get that off, then I can take the 10mm bolt and washer off, to get the advancer off.
can I leave everything all hooked up still with the wires ??

so to mark the pule coil, just put markers lines so it lines back up?

again thanks soo much

86125m
11-11-2016, 07:41 PM
You can buy the part individually for the advancer hear is the link to the springs http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/honda/HP-30224-437-000.html and hear is the link to the assembly. http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/2001/XR200R%20AC/IGNITION%20PULSE%20GENERATOR/parts.html

Wandy67
11-11-2016, 08:30 PM
thanks very much!

83ATC185
11-14-2016, 09:24 AM
Yeah just mark its location on the housing with a marker so you can put it back exactly like it came if it was running fine, never hurts to check the timing while you're in there though. remove it from the housing with the wires still connected if you wish...the rotor should move forward and snap back by the springs, maybe 3/8" or so...

Wandy67
11-14-2016, 10:24 AM
the pulse coil wires has a little slot which goes through in the base, It doesn't seem like i can take the pulse coil off without detaching those wires? what about if i leave the pulse coil still on and take the rotor bolt off and take the whole base off? (the two bolts on #1 in the pic) and everything still connected, just hold it there ( with the little play i have with the wire) slide off the advance that way??

also with the metal shaving and rusted spring, I did kinda blow it out with keyboard cleaner compressed air, but should I get a light tooth brush or something and gently clean the coil or points? not even sure what the points are? their is a light rust coat on most the parts inside the cdi cover, thanks 236853

Wandy67
11-14-2016, 12:09 PM
I see now that the slot with the wires, is just a rubber housing that slide out of the base. I tried to take off the 10mm bolt that holds the advance on, but it just spins the rotor? can I do this with my pull start still on? and is it reverse thread? thanks

yaegerb
11-14-2016, 12:29 PM
I see now that the slot with the wires, is just a rubber housing that slide out of the base. I tried to take off the 10mm bolt that holds the advance on, but it just spins the rotor? can I do this with my pull start still on? and is it reverse thread? thanks

What are you trying to do, just remove the advancer?

Wandy67
11-14-2016, 12:36 PM
yea, hopefully without discontenting the pulse coil wires

yaegerb
11-14-2016, 12:40 PM
yea, hopefully without discontenting the pulse coil wires

The wires connected to the advancer unplug from the harness. Its two small connectors. Zip the 10mm bolt out of the camshaft and the advancer pulls off. Either zip it off with an impact if its really on there, or pull your pull rope mechanism off and hold the flywheel bolt with a 17mm socket.

Wandy67
11-14-2016, 12:57 PM
k thanks very much, so is it just normal lefty loosey, righty tighty ?

yaegerb
11-14-2016, 12:59 PM
Yes, that bolt holding the advancer to the camshaft is normal threads.

Wandy67
11-14-2016, 01:09 PM
thanks very much! I dont have the new advancer yet, but want to get the old one off and check out everything

Wandy67
11-14-2016, 04:26 PM
the screws holding the pulse coil on, are stuck, starting to mush the heads a bit, I stopped before stripping them, ne ideas? can I safely use a little bit of wd 40?
thanks

yaegerb
11-14-2016, 04:57 PM
Yes, you can also try some vice grips or lightly tap with a impact driver.

Wandy67
11-14-2016, 05:57 PM
thanks I got my shifter pedal off, took my pull start off. (and my bike wasn't a 17mm? on the fly wheel, didnt have the correct socket but a 9/16 worked on it) and broke loose the 10mm bolt of the rotor . too dark now but ill see if I can get those screws loose on the coil tomorrow, ( when i get the coil off, should I rotate the rotor so the dowel is straight up? ( the line on the rotor should be to the right of the dowel pin slot?. dont want that to fall off, down into the engine..
thanks everyone

yaegerb
11-14-2016, 10:16 PM
thanks I got my shifter pedal off, took my pull start off. (and my bike wasn't a 17mm? on the fly wheel, didnt have the correct socket but a 9/16 worked on it) and broke loose the 10mm bolt of the rotor . too dark now but ill see if I can get those screws loose on the coil tomorrow, ( when i get the coil off, should I rotate the rotor so the dowel is straight up? ( the line on the rotor should be to the right of the dowel pin slot?. dont want that to fall off, down into the engine..
thanks everyone

When you pull the advancer, just leave the cam shaft where it is, then when you are done fixing whatever, put it back on.

Wandy67
11-16-2016, 01:58 PM
dont have an impact driver yet or even a decent set of vice grips, tried wd 40 and still cant budge those pulse coil screws, starting to strip the one. Better wait till i get the right tools, thanks

350for350
11-16-2016, 10:00 PM
Better get that impact driver (not impact wrench). You might think about picking up a couple of new screws while you're at it.

Wandy67
11-23-2016, 02:30 PM
alrighty, got the impact driver. Worked like a charm. got the coil off, slip on the new advance, now how hard do i tighten that 10m bolt on the rotor? herd 7- 9 lbs, I have no idea how to do that?/ thanks so much, almost there!

yaegerb
11-23-2016, 03:08 PM
if you have a harbor freight near you, you can buy an inch-lb. torque wrench and torque it properly, or just snug it down by feel. Either way, but a dab of blue Loctite (medium strength) on that bolt.

Wandy67
11-23-2016, 03:29 PM
thank you so much

Wandy67
11-23-2016, 06:03 PM
thanks very much everyone, got her running and was ripping around in the snow, forgot to tighten my timing plug hole cap,. thank goodness i didn't loose it, got the oil draining for an oil change now, again thank so much to everyone and yaegerb for all your help

yaegerb
11-23-2016, 06:18 PM
No worries, have fun!