PDA

View Full Version : Low Pressure Tire Gauge

mostlyxs
11-12-2016, 04:38 PM
I have been searching for an accurate low pressure tire gauge for use on my YTM225, as I get tired of fetching the factory gauge from my YFM350, and believe I have finally stumbled on one, at a reasonable price.
(I recently bought one on line that, while it is accurate, it is a tiny pencil type that does NOT hold its reading, disappointing.) What I found is a Tool Shop brand, ATV UTV Low Pressure Digital Tire Gauge, Model 8326, carded number seems to be 207-3407, Sold by Menards Department store, Menards SKU 2073407. It sells on line for $7.99, + $2.80 processing, + $2.60 standard shipping. I bought two of these, seem to be fashioned into a carabiner, with compass and light! The on-line text lists the range as 0 to 5.8 psi, but if you look close at the packaging picture, it seems to list the range as 0.5 to 8.0 psi ... either of which is fitting and proper. Now, I get to wait perhaps a week for it to arrive, and when I have tried it out, I shall amend this message with the results. Says on the package "guaranteed forever", by the way.
I suspect there are a bunch of you old timers that are already aware of this item, and may have used it for a decade, but I never found a thread mentioning it. I am quite new to this site, so fumble around a lot trying to find things!
Till Later,
John in Texas

I received the gauges, and checked seven tires (ranging from 1.5 psi to 3.8 psi), with both gauges reading exactly the same on every one. I then inflated several to 7.5 and 8 psi, using my 1999 Yamaha gauge furnished with my 350 Big Bear, and all were right on! I then pulled the valve core, deflating one mounted tire, reinstalled the core and both gauges read "less than 0.5", the lower end of the range. I chose not to stress them by trying a tire with 15 or 20 or 30 psi, as in my past experience, this can permanently render them useless, and/or undependable. The construction is robust, however the tiny 3/8" dia. compass is totally useless, one was dysfunctional on receipt, the other reversed, i.e. 180 degrees off polarity! I carry a 200 lumen LED light 24/7 so the light feature was of no interest, but might be handy checking tires in the dark. Curiously, the instructions for rearranging the included 3 button cells to initiate use was not applicable, as mine were already in proper orientation. One had a less-than-solid positive connection, so I used a sharp scribe to bend the contact, resulting in positive operation. All-in-all, I will appreciate the primary function of these, and recommend them to all, especially considering the very low cost. I have numerous digital auto tire gauges, each advertised with a range of 0 to 90 psi, and only one of them will respond to 3PSI, and then not every the time!
John in Texas

Big G
11-14-2016, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the info John! I'm terrible at monitoring my tire pressure with a gauge, I always tend to just 'eye-ball it' ! Ha ha

jervin36
11-16-2016, 02:17 AM
Sounds like a good gauge. Keep us posted regarding its quality and accuracy.

HoldMyBeer
12-02-2016, 11:55 PM
I've never heard anyone care or give so much detail about tire pressure... Makes me grin and raise an eyebrow at the same time

axeman24
12-07-2016, 02:44 PM
that gage sounds perfect

I was fortunate to get a Honda low pressure gage in the toolbox when I bought my fat cat

until I got that gage I filled them by feel and was far overinflating my round style tires

what a difference in the mud/sand

mostlyxs
12-08-2016, 10:56 PM
I understand the amazement to my concern about tire pressure. On most 3 wheelers I'm familiar with, the softly inflated tires ARE a huge component of the suspension, a concept brought home to me some 35 years ago, when,
with a mere 1/2 psi more air in one rear tire (normal was 3.5psi), I popped a wheely that quickly became a double-donut. The guys and gals watching cheered and screamed for more, but my gut was soooo tight, I couldn't talk, and my rear was so puckered, I could barely sit down. It was simply a result of the hot sun on that side, as far as I could tell. Naturally, I took credit for the awesome trick riding, but swore to myself, never again.
When one doesn't have a differential to compensate for different tire diameters, equal, low tire pressure is very important.
Enough jabbering. This gauge has performed really well, wish I could remember who borrowed the second one last weekend!
John in Texas

fabiodriven
12-09-2016, 12:18 PM
Barnett, this guy a relative or?

atcmatt
12-09-2016, 04:54 PM
Tyre pressure is everything. I even go as far as measuring the circumference on my 350x, when I'm on unsealed roads riding for kms and kms the trike won't track straight, and it's super annoying fighting with it all the time.

HoldMyBeer
12-10-2016, 09:57 PM
That's good stuff about the "trick". Well that gauge should keep them dead even

mostlyxs
07-24-2018, 04:35 PM
Update: The Tool Shop low pressure air gauges from Menards Dept Store are still functioning as expected. Tried to buy a couple more for local riders, and have no luck finding them.
Seen a couple of really nice YTM225's sell locally in the last year, but the guy buying them lives in West Virginia and takes them back East. One was MINT @ $1200.

John in Texas

You might try this address as I just ordered a couple more.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0ahUKEwjq35a5zbjcAhVDR6wKHVMKBQYQFgivAjAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.menards.com%2Fmain%2Ftools-hardware%2Fautomotive-marine-hardware%2Ftire-repair-accessories%2Ftool-shop-reg-atv-utv-low-pressure-digital-tire-gauge%2F8326%2Fp-1444421221303.htm&usg=AOvVaw1p_UFCaOpfZw4xHgnqROvw

Tri-Z 250
07-24-2018, 05:36 PM
You need to spend a few hundy on a liquid MotionPro low PSI unit. It's the real deal...and worth every lap.

Rob Canadian
07-24-2018, 07:23 PM
My Snap On guy did not have anything. I got a BikeMaster one. 0-15PSI.

GeoCubed
08-25-2018, 09:00 PM
I've got my second low pressure gauge (1st one vanished). It is a pencil type and works acceptably for me.
Tire pressure is Important, especially on three wheelers. I got mine at a local auto parts store.
It was Bond Auto of Vermont but is now an O'reilly Automotive Parts store.