PDA

View Full Version : Big red 250 winch?

Outlaw'd250es
11-15-2016, 09:30 PM
Is it worth putting a winch on a big red? I would install on rathe front rack after I beef it up

YBW
11-15-2016, 10:12 PM
With how light the front is I can definitely see where it would come in handy. What are your plans for beefing up the front rack? It seems like the ones I have seen people with just left the rack stock, though I could be mistaken.

RUNMEDOWN
11-15-2016, 10:47 PM
The one I just picked up had the stock front rack removed and replaced with a 1" angle iron frame built to hold a winch. I am 291lbs and stood on it to test it. Seems like it would work and cheap to build

jervin36
11-16-2016, 02:01 AM
I think it will work fine. There's some people here who have a winch on their Big Red. A winch will just run battery down quickly so just charge up after using it.

RUNMEDOWN
11-16-2016, 11:11 AM
I think it will work fine. There's some people here who have a winch on their Big Red. A winch will just run battery down quickly so just charge up after using it.
Anyone add a larger battery to their 250es? I don't use the trunk and will be using a winch a lot for plowing. I was thinking of swapping a larger battery and mounting it in the trunk (Just extend the wires). Maybe mount a battery tender/trickle charger to the set up so I could just pull the plug out of the trunk and plug it in while sitting to keep it topped off.

Big G
11-16-2016, 01:19 PM
Whenever I see a winch mounted on the front of a 250ES I always wonder if it is more than these machines can handle. Winches mounted on quads are generally attached to the frame in some way, whereas mounting to the front forks (which is the only way possible on a trike) just doesn't seem strong enough considering the torque that's applied when the winch is being used. Don't get me wrong, the 250 Big Red's are very solid machines, but it just seems like installing a winch may be pushing the front end to the limit??

YamaBoss
11-16-2016, 03:01 PM
Anyone add a larger battery to their 250es? I don't use the trunk and will be using a winch a lot for plowing. I was thinking of swapping a larger battery and mounting it in the trunk (Just extend the wires). Maybe mount a battery tender/trickle charger to the set up so I could just pull the plug out of the trunk and plug it in while sitting to keep it topped off.

A guy I know put a farm tractor battery in his trunk. Everything works great as it should.

350for350
11-16-2016, 09:56 PM
Or you could also keep the stock battery and mount a second one in the trunk. Just run extra battery cables and connect positive to positive, negative to negative.