PDA

View Full Version : Honda atc 70 replacement carb

Bottomland4x4
11-16-2016, 07:16 PM
I've got a really nice 85 atc 70, all original even the tires. And I have been having carb problems, for one thing it has sat for a awhile but even when I first got it, about 20 years ago, it didn't like to run right, it always liked to have the choke barely on, and then it would idle high sometimes and then not idle at all. I rebuilt and cleaned the carb and it seemed to do better. That was about 4 years ago and it has sat, well now I've got the trike fever and I want to get it in perfect running order. I was looking at just putting a new carb on, found a few on ebay for around $35, seems like a good deal?

AK47KID
11-16-2016, 07:30 PM
Yes, I used caltric carbs on my 70. Mine didn't like the main jet that the caltric carbs came with so I used the main jet from the original carb and put in in the new one and it ran fine.

As for your original carb it sounds like you have an air leak/lean condition. If you can get it running spray some carb or brake cleaner around the intake boot and see if the trike revs by it self. If it does you have a cracked boot/carb leak. What jets are in your trike carb right now?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Bottomland4x4
11-16-2016, 07:39 PM
Not sure what jets are in the carb, stock I assume. The last time I rebuilt it I soaked the parts in a bucket of b12 chemtool and it cleaned up really good, the factory air filter was in bad shape.

AK47KID
11-16-2016, 08:24 PM
Not sure what jets are in the carb, stock I assume. The last time I rebuilt it I soaked the parts in a bucket of b12 chemtool and it cleaned up really good, the factory air filter was in bad shape.
Can you get it to start at all?

Bottomland4x4
11-16-2016, 08:41 PM
I pulled it a couple times and gas started leaking, I think the fuel lines are cracked and dry rotted. I just quit after that. I had it running about a year ago. I am sure if I used a little starting fluid it would have fired up, I just didn't try it because of the fuel leaking. I thought I would order a new carb and lines before messing with it any more.

HoldMyBeer
12-01-2016, 08:57 PM
I've got an 85 ATC 70 and a 87 TRX 70. Both have slight carb issues. In my experience you're better off getting a rebuild kit off eBay and using the factory carb. The replacement carbs I've bought run ok but I've had issues with the butterfly coming loose and eventually the choke doesn't work (won't start) every time I've tried. Methol ethol Keytone "MEK" is the best cleaner I've ever seen. Take apart, clean with MEK, and put back new parts from eBay.

Bottomland4x4
12-01-2016, 11:05 PM
I just ordered a new carb off ebay, if it doesn't work like I want I will rebuild the old carb with parts from the new one. I had carb issues with a 1986 125m, and I was lucky enough to buy a nos honda carb from the dealer, it was kinda expensive at $125 but it was perfect.

AK47KID
12-02-2016, 01:25 AM
I just ordered a new carb off ebay, if it doesn't work like I want I will rebuild the old carb with parts from the new one. I had carb issues with a 1986 125m, and I was lucky enough to buy a nos honda carb from the dealer, it was kinda expensive at $125 but it was perfect.

What problems are you having with your new carb?

coolpool
12-02-2016, 01:48 AM
Honestly, with the amount of trikes I've dealt with I've only ever had to put two carb kits in to get them to run. Bottom line is don't waste money on a kit unless you absolutely need it! I'm a firm believer of cleaning them well (more than once sometimes) and having the timing set will give results. These 70's can be finicky but once dialed in they are tons of fun.

Bottomland4x4
12-02-2016, 08:22 AM
Ak47kid, I have not gotten the carb for the 70 yet.

Bottomland4x4
12-25-2016, 09:41 PM
Well, long story short, put the ebay carb on, it ran for a few minutes then began to flood like crazy. It would not restart, I adjusted the air screw to no avail and just walked away. Ended up rebuilding the factory carb and now it runs like a top. I would not waste any money on an ebay carb, maybe as a last resort but that's about it.

coolpool
12-26-2016, 12:28 PM
Well, long story short, put the ebay carb on, it ran for a few minutes then began to flood like crazy. It would not restart, I adjusted the air screw to no avail and just walked away. Ended up rebuilding the factory carb and now it runs like a top. I would not waste any money on an ebay carb, maybe as a last resort but that's about it.

Did you put a kit in it or just give it a good cleaning? Glad it worked out for you.

Bottomland4x4
12-26-2016, 02:55 PM
Just a good cleaning, it wasn't as bad as the last time I cleaned it. Fired up 2nd pull! Lol! It's hard to beat a honda!