PDA

View Full Version : Tips for riding an ATC

YBW
11-17-2016, 11:56 AM
I searched google and the forum here and couldn't find anything substantial, but as a person new to the ATC scene I was thinking it might be good to have riding wisdom in one place (unless of course such a place already exists and I just haven't found it...) So far my observations are:

-ATCs are much more nimble than ATVs
-ATCs are faster than ATVs for their displacement (which makes sense given the reduction in weight)
-Sharp maneuvers at high speeds are a recipe for disaster (for non-expert riders)

That's about it. What other considerations are there? I have heard you lean into the turn and that you lean out of the turn, try to only use front brake and try to only use rear brake, etc. What about different conditions? Anything to know about mud or snow that isn't obvious? I'm kind of hoping there is a thread that I missed that has all the info, but if not some input would be greatly appreciated!

Ghostv2
11-17-2016, 01:01 PM
For a new rider I think one of the hardest things to get use to would be crossing over steep sloped terrains. Descending downhill and picking the right place to steer your front tire so you don't do a nosedive. I see my little brother make that mistake a lot. Riding on the side of a steeper hill. Stuff like that.

Best way to learn is get out there and get some seat time. Learn the machines abilities. I've been riding a 200s my whole life. I know exactly how that machine is going to react if I hit this kind of bump, make this kind of turn, or most maneuvers for that matter. It's all about learning what the machine is capable of and pushing it to that limit. In a comfortable manner that is.

83ATC185
11-17-2016, 01:57 PM
They're unique in that the way you lean is entirely dependent on how fast you are going.

I think its best to learn on a well maintained machine, good running machine, good tires, even pressure, tight bearings and straight axles all around. Hard to learn good sidehilling techniques if it dies on you or there's a lot of slack in the steering.

I think Ghost hit the nail on the head. Knowing your machine is the single most important thing.

edizzle89
11-17-2016, 02:51 PM
like said above you have to put some more thought into crossing rough terrain, think about where its going to put each tire and lean accordingly or pick a different line. Usually its just easiest to try to take on any uphill/downhill transition straight on if possible.

another thing is be aware of everything that might catch a rear tire, on an atv your front end is about as wide as your rear end so if the front will fit the rear will, on an ATC thats not the case. There have been several times that i have caught the rear tire of my 250sx on a big rock or tree root and if i hadnt been aware that they were there they could easily have thrown me over.

one other thing is ruts on trails. on a dirtbike you can ride in a rut, on an atv you can have 2 tires in a rut and 2 out. on an ATC it can get a little weird sometimes. having just the front tire down in a rut puts the rear end high up and can make for interesting riding. Also if its slick and muddy out sometimes you might get the front tire and a rear tire pulled into a rut and you find yourself riding your ATC at an angle but going straight. something to me mindful of.

flynfish
11-17-2016, 05:03 PM
Agreed with all that has been said. When I got my 200x I hadn't been on an ATC in 15 yrs. Yes it takes getting used to seat time is all that will help. I also bot a set of extended hubs to make the rear 3in wider and it helps. Have fun, and being on two wheels sideways is fun when u learn how lol

the only time I will be easy is when I'm killed by death

YBW
11-17-2016, 07:03 PM
Good stuff, I hadn't thought about ruts or getting the rear hung up on things. Yeah I haven't been brave enough to attempt any slopes, but I'm assuming you lean forward while going up and back while go down?

Rob Canadian
11-17-2016, 07:58 PM
Keep your feet on the pegs. Well unless you are powersliding and leaning into it. Just got back into riding trikes again after so many years. Always had a dirtybike.
Seen and heard so many people about having crosshatches on the back of there legs from the rear tires (tyres)... But feet down and legs get sucked under the rear hoops... Not fun.
Riding gear is important too. Like any machine. Body english is key. Shifting weight, learning.

3 Wheel Drive
11-17-2016, 09:32 PM
Heres a helpful video thats been around for 30 years:

https://youtu.be/xkrg3N4raXA

YBW
11-18-2016, 12:54 PM
Thanks Rob, I learned a little bit about keeping your feet on the pegs a couple of days ago! I didn't think of searching for videos, that may be some good stuff if I ever make it to that level of proficiency and am not riding a Big Red...

keister
11-18-2016, 01:24 PM
1. Never put your foot down.
2. If you have to do an unplanned dismount, get off the high side and let the machine go.
3. Use front and rear brakes together when you brake. That will instill muscle memory and put you in good practice for when (not if) an emergency occasion arises.
4. Practice, practice, practice.

83ATC185
11-18-2016, 02:05 PM
If you're riding one with with a pullstart, make sure its out of gear before you go to lean over and crack the throttle and pull it! Bad things happen fast.

That's about all i've got...

EPOCH6
11-18-2016, 04:19 PM
Some general tips, some learnt the hard way.

Handling:

- Lean into the inside of your turns (lean left to turn left, right to turn right), the sharper the turn the harder the lean
- Lean back when descending a slope, lean forward when ascending a slope
- Stand up when moving over any rough terrain at any speed beyond a crawl, not only does this plant your feet to the pegs more firmly, it prevents the seat from hitting your butt and catapulting you
- Always be aware of obstacles that will contact your back tires, failing to do this can also send you over the handlebars
- Be gentle and gradual on the front brake, using the front brake for a hard emergency stop at any speed above third gear can send you over the handlebars
- To turn sharply by spinning the tires lean far to the inside, begin turning the handlebars until you feel resistance, then give it extra throttle until you feel the tires begin to slide. The looser/wetter the terrain to easier it is to do this, DO NOT try this on concrete. The easiest way to practice this is in a gravel lot, if you feel the inside tire lift and the ATC begins to tilt immediately let off the throttle
- If you get stuck in a mudhole and haven't stalled do not let off the throttle, keep your RPM up in the middle of the gear (1st or 2nd), stand up, and rock back/forth, side to side. If you're still stuck and you have a utility rack you can prop your feet up on it when rocking to put more of your weight directly on the back tires for traction.

Starting:

- Before pull starting, lift the vacuum release lever on the other side of the engine, this will greatly decrease the amount of times you have to rebuild your recoil after a snapped rope or failed knot
- When electric starting, leave your headlight off, this saves a LOT of energy and grants you many more start attempts if you need them
- If you're having trouble starting remember to double check your fuel tank switch position, key position, and ignition switch position
- When cold starting have your choke pulled all of the way out, upon ignition listen to the idle speed, when the idle drops slowly push the choke in until it normalizes, wait, and repeat until choke is all of the way down
- After a few failed starting attempts your spark plug is probably too wet with fuel to ignite, give it 5 minutes to dry off before trying again

Tas Wheeler
11-18-2016, 04:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGayYbLtd7A

Another video

Three wheeler stuff starts around 3:35 in.

x-rider
11-18-2016, 08:23 PM
Riding on trails with ruts from off road trucks can be a pain. I usually try to straddle them and drop my front tire in the rut, but it puts you at a weird angle. Also on rough trails practice going over small logs can be tough. And leaning to much on wet muddy hills. You can lose traction, or go up into a wheelie. Ask me how I know. Ha ha.

YBW
11-18-2016, 11:08 PM
Great stuff, these are the kind of tips I'm looking for. Tas Wheeler, the video you posted reminds me of a story my dad tells about a friend he would ride with when he was young:
Friend-"Unless you are wiping out you aren't pushing yourself hard enough, your not learning!"
My dad-"Well, can't I just stay at the level right before wiping out?"

Let's just say the apple didn't fall far from the tree... I was impressed how much my confidence and handling improved just tearing around the yard though!

350for350
11-18-2016, 11:42 PM
My advice that no one has said yet is to start out slowly. Every time you attempt a new skill, go slow until it feels natural. Then try it a little faster. Practice, practice, practice. That's the most fun part since it means that you get to ride!

fruckler
11-19-2016, 12:38 AM
i reckon you just need to get that "putting your foot down for balance thing" right out of ya head.. it`s kinda an instinct but all you`ll end up doing is running your leg over. it`s kinda the thing you`ll wanna do if taking off slowly, into a rut uphill, but I`ve always found if you give it to it once you`re moving that tipping sort of feeling disappears pretty quick.

fruckler
11-19-2016, 12:40 AM
I`ve nearly tipped it myself and sometimes it`ll get a bit hairy, but every situation is different. just remember you`re on three not two wheels..

edizzle89
11-21-2016, 12:28 PM
someone said to go easy on the front brake so you dont go over the bars. maybe it depends on the trike and my 250sx has 250r forks so maybe that has something to do with it but i have done hard front braking, occasionally on pavement as well, and have never felt like i was going to go over the bars. I think most trikes have enough rake that it would take a lot of force to get it go that point and even then i doubt the tire has enough traction to grab that hard without just locking the tire up. Obviously on steep downhills you dont want to grab to much front brake.

That is just my experience on my trike so it could be different for other people.

oldskool83
11-21-2016, 12:47 PM
I only ever used the front brake on my atc's rear only when going down hillclimbs

EPOCH6
11-21-2016, 01:10 PM
someone said to go easy on the front brake so you dont go over the bars. maybe it depends on the trike and my 250sx has 250r forks so maybe that has something to do with it but i have done hard front braking, occasionally on pavement as well, and have never felt like i was going to go over the bars.
Yeah it'll certainly vary from trike to trike, I'm speaking from my experience on an '82 Big Red which has about as much suspension as a hammer. Had to slam on the front brakes in an emergency while cruising in 4th (had no rear brakes at the time), full on endo, launched me like a catapult.

http://i.imgur.com/PKJUDQK.jpg

YBW
11-21-2016, 11:53 PM
I locked up the front brake in the yard yesterday, the handlebars just kind of twisted sideways and the tire slid, but then again the 250es has a bit holding the back down. Riding on 3 wheels is feeling more natural every day! Keep the tips coming, I still read them even if I don't comment--plus there is the benefit of all the future new guys to consider.