PDA

View Full Version : 3 Wheeler Discrimination at "ATV parks"

BIG RED MARK
11-17-2016, 11:44 PM
Just posted this to see if other "ATV parks" around the USA discriminate against three wheelers. Some of my buddies asked me to go out riding at tall pines ATV park here in Allegany county NY. I thought about leaving the 1997 Honda CR 250R and 2001 Yamaha 660R Raptor home and bringing the 1985 Honda 250ES BIG RED for some fun. Checking the tall pines website one of the rules lists " 4. No threewheelers are allowed to be ridden on the premises. No exceptions." After reading this my decision was made. Funk them. They won't get my money. I am fortunate to own 90 acres that I can blast around on so no big deal. I am wondering though do other "ATV parks" have the same policy?

JacobMonster
11-18-2016, 08:39 AM
I had a small local place deny me. Let me ride there once because nobody else was there. He said his lawyer told him not to have anything "illegal". (those were his exact words). Even though I explained they weren't illegal, just that production was banned. Big difference. Apparently he is afraid of getting sued if I got hurt. Which makes absolutely no sense. You sign a flippin' waiver, so whats the difference if Im on an ATV, dirt bike, SxS, or ATC.
But knowing how the silly lawsuits work, somebody probably could sue him and win.
Oh well. I still go there on occasion. Real nice older fellow. Cant say I blame him but I can't agree with him either lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

83ATC185
11-18-2016, 09:26 AM
There's a couple that allow anything from 5 ton army trucks to mopeds, but most of the parks around here wont allow 3 wheelers. One of those parks websites had NO THREE WHEELERS ALLOWED in big huge letters at the bottom of the page, right below a picture of a kid in a car seat in the passenger seat of a RZR...

Its most definitely a lawsuit issue.. But i'm pretty sure that kid was too young to sign a waiver.

There's a new one coming to north Alabama called Buck's Pocket that is in the planning stage. I'm not getting my hopes up as it is a state owned park.

Ghostv2
11-18-2016, 10:44 AM
The atv park right behind my house allows anything from mountain bikes, trikes, jeeps, you name it. Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area, Coal Township, 17866. 6,500+ acres. Never rode there since they opened it but I use to ride the land as a kid. It's all reclaimed mining land. It's slowly growing. I think this year they are opening it up to camping. They even close it down for rifle season for deer lol.

jb2wheels
11-18-2016, 11:17 AM
It's an insurance and liability issue and a "good" lawyer will make the waiver pointless.

It sucks because even a 3-wheeler friendly owner/park can't take the chance on losing their insurance.

Ghostv2
11-19-2016, 11:19 AM
It's an insurance and liability issue and a "good" lawyer will make the waiver pointless.

It sucks because even a 3-wheeler friendly owner/park can't take the chance on losing their insurance.

How though? Nothing about them is illegal. Nothing is banned. I see people and parks saying stuff like this but nobody can explain themselves or back it up with facts or documents. They insure dirtbikes, trikes aren't any more dangerous.

Problem solved, insure your own trike before trying to enter the park. Sign the waver. They can walk away from an accident and not have to worry about retaliation.

EPOCH6
11-21-2016, 03:00 AM
The only motor park in my neck of the woods is three wheeler friendly, they don't treat them any differently than ATVs. They don't seem to ask if you're insured with third party liability coverage either.

edizzle89
11-21-2016, 12:09 PM
ive only been to 2 parks here in indiana. Obviously Haspin lets in trikes, pretty sure Haspin will let anything in as long as you have a seatbelt/helmet. I have also been to the Badlands in Attica, IN and they didnt seem to care.

loxboy1
11-22-2016, 02:33 AM
Havent found any places in florida that aloe trikes. Red neck mud parck is a well known mudfest down here. Trucks gone wild throws 2 massive events a yere there and they get wild but no three wheelers allowed whoch i think is BS because a atc is no more dangerous then half the crap people bring into the park. I think people just got on the band wagon that trikes are this taboo, mythical animal that you shouldent ride ever since they band production 30 years ago.

I did however travle from florida to texas in april for mud nationals. (Amazing event) worth the 1700 miles one way to get there, There was a hand full of atcs riding around.

goodoldad
11-22-2016, 06:12 PM
In Minnesota you can ride on State Trails.

But a person born after 7/01/87 has to have a test certified permit to ride. 11 - 15 yr olds have to go for further hands on training after the online course. Have heard they cannot use a trike. Wouldn't you think if they are going to riding them it would be in the best interests of all to train them on a trike???

As a sidedlight, I have written an email to the MN DNR asking for 3 wheeler accident history &/or fatal accidents reported. When I hear back I will post. Got a hunch it might be exteremly small number....

RIDE-RED 250r
11-24-2016, 04:42 PM
I can't speak for other states, but here in NY 3-wheelers can be registered and insured like any other ATV or dirt bike. I have NY required liability insurance on my trikes so I can ride the public trail system in Lewis County NY, Progressive is my provider....Yes, you read that right, I have my trikes insured.

Having said that it seems pretty idiotic that a park that allows 4-wheeled ATV's, non-street legal dirt bikes (which the state of NY recognizes as an ATV when it comes to registration and insurance) but not 3-wheeled ATV's which the state of NY ALSO recognizes as an ATV. I guess private property owners can set whatever rules they deem fit... But I would wager that if someone had enough time, ambition, and money, that someone could probably litigate the case successfully on the grounds that the state in which the ATV park exists legally recognizes a 3-wheeler as an ATV.

I can see how a park's insurance provider can reasonably forbid illegal activities or the use of actual illegal equipment, but to arbitrarily ban something that the home state legitimizes seems a stretch to me. Either that or the park owners just don't personally like 3-wheelers and use the old "insurance company won't allow it" copout as a scapegoat, or they ignorantly DO think they are "illegal"....

I'd take my business elsewhere...

Bob B.
11-25-2016, 01:43 PM
In a N.H. Three wheelers are registered as atv's and allowed on all state or club maintained atv's trails. As an added bonus all atv's 30 years or older are considered antique and subject to a one time registration plate good for as long as you own the atv.

OTAlucard
11-25-2016, 07:48 PM
No dirtbikes either at hog waller. I guess I'll just have to buy a 4 wheeler