PDA

View Full Version : 1983 honda 200 engine swap help

jeremy cook
11-23-2016, 08:59 PM
hi all new guy here lol,so i got a 83 honda 200 nothing wrong with it but it came with a parts machine and on the parts machine is what i found out to be a big red 200 engine with e-start and hi lo range so i want to put the big red motor in my 200 do i need to use the harness from the big red or can i use my 200 harness just wondering becuse some reason i think since big red motor is e-start dont i need the regulater/rectifier so the stock 200 harness wont melt down i assume since e-start the motor has a bigger stator in it to charge battery.any help would be appreciated.

350for350
11-23-2016, 11:06 PM
Hi from another Jeremy. First make sure that your Big Red isn't shaft drive (some were). If it's chain drive, then you should be able to do the swap. Yes you'll need the Big Red wiring harness. Your other one doesn't have the wiring for the battery, starter, or start button and maybe more. It's not too hard to swap the wiring harness. My advice would be to take plenty of pictures of the wiring before you remove anything. Remove the seat, rear fenders and tank so that it's all exposed. Then you have a reference if you run into questions.

Bren_downe
11-24-2016, 12:13 AM
A few issues you may run into, the 200e frame is dimpled on the down tube to compensate for the starter mounted in front of the cylinder. You may have clearance issues for the sub transmission on your plain Jane 200. Where are you going to put the battery? Does the 200e have a decent frame? It might be easier to throw parts from your 200 onto your 200e? Got any pics? Oh yeah and :welcome:

jeremy cook
11-24-2016, 12:23 AM
the motor is in a 185s frame i don't plan on using the e-start should that big red motor just plug in to my 200 harness or do i need the origanal harness that has the regulator rectifier on it i dont want to fry my wireing by simply transplanting the big red in to it if the stator puts out to much power.pic is of the big red motor in the 185s seemes to clear everything just fine.pic next to lawn mower is the 200 and does any one know what seat is on the 200 it not origanal and i want to recover it think it a 200x but not sure.237263237264

jeremy cook
11-24-2016, 05:30 PM
ok guys i stripped the 185 with the big red motor in it for spare parts for the 200 bren down you are correct about the dimple in the down tube some one did a good job of beating the 185s tube in where the starter sits.looking at the big red motor with it out of frame i think i solved my own question.there are 3 wires coming off the stator 1 has a 2 wire plug and then there is a single wire with plug that is the same connection as the 200 harness but there also is a single wire coming out of the back case which has to be the charging coil side of stator i think i just hook up the plug and single wire to my harness and leave the charging coil wire unhooked and should be good to go.

Rebel.bilgerat
12-01-2016, 11:57 AM
2 yellow wire connecter feeds rec/reg for bat. Charge. The single (blk/rd iirc) is ccc (capacitior charge coil) to cdi. They are seperate coils iside the stator. I have a 185s harness and cdi (no e start or battery) on a 84? 125m motor (e start) in a 85 trx125 frame. Only necessary connections from the stator is that single wire. Otherwise, the two from the pickup coil on the head, ground, and of course the ign. coil is all it needs to run. Another connection to the blk/wht for engine kill when grounded. From what I can tell, the ignition system portion of the harness is the same and will plug and play across many if not most engines at least of that time frame. Of my bikes there are 3 different style cdi boxes, and I've swapped harnesses all around in order to verify a bad cdi. The rest of the ignition portion of the harness is the exact same. Plug n play. Good to know if you have a no spark due to bad cdi and can't find one, can get a harness that fits the other type and plug right in. If you use a harness from an Estart w/battery on non Estart and want to connect lighting then you need to verify bulb type. 6v non-batt system, 12 batt. The extra wire on back of the case, green? Near sub trans? If so that is the neutral indicator wire (connects to ground in "N") if it had reverse there would be another on near it that works similarly (gray)