PDA

View Full Version : Honda 110 atc loud clicking noise that's not engine related...

Mike Eyre
11-25-2016, 06:36 PM
Just picked up a 1982 110the other day on a whim. I've never owned one of these before.. just street bikes. It's a real trip so far. Been going through it with oil change, and all the adjustments in the book, and have some parts on the way to get the brakes working. Keep hearing a loud clicking somewhere while pushing the machine around in the shop with the engine off. Bearings were my first guess, but the front wheel spins OK when elevated.. any ideas what this could be?

coolpool
11-25-2016, 10:59 PM
Could it be from the chain or chain tensioner idler wheel? Maybe pick up the rear end and push it to rule out the front end. Is it fully in neutral? How about the Hi-Lo range selector, fully engaged either way?

350for350
11-25-2016, 11:32 PM
I'd try chain tensioner first. I had a 1975 atc 90 given to my several years ago because it "had a rod knocking". After I got it started and running, there was no knocking noise so I decided to take it for a ride around the house. I heard the noise when I was in gear and moving. I tightened the drive chain up all the way and PRESTO! no noise. Just letting you know my experience.

Mike Eyre
11-26-2016, 09:44 PM
I'm sure it's not the main drive chain, I just checked that audit's tight as a drum. like, really tight.. the PO has this really socked down. I might even loosen this up a pinch. It's also not the cam chain.. I worked that as well. The Hi-Lo appears to fully in Lo, but I guess I haven't tried Hi yet, so I'll check that in the morning and see if that could be the case. Good idea on picking up one end or the other.. I can do that in the morning as well and see what happens.. standby!

coolpool
11-28-2016, 08:40 PM
I'm sure it's not the main drive chain, I just checked that audit's tight as a drum. like, really tight.. the PO has this really socked down. I might even loosen this up a pinch. It's also not the cam chain.. I worked that as well. The Hi-Lo appears to fully in Lo, but I guess I haven't tried Hi yet, so I'll check that in the morning and see if that could be the case. Good idea on picking up one end or the other.. I can do that in the morning as well and see what happens.. standby!

Too tight is just as bad as too loose. I'm thinking that is the source of your click.

Rob Canadian
11-29-2016, 12:53 AM
Different model I know but when I got my 200X the chain was way loose. I test drove it and it was fine. Tightened the chain and whammy. Noise. Clicking. Both sprockets were very worn on mine. Had to replace gears and chain.

Let us know what you find. Loosen up the drive chain and see if the noise goes away.

Mike Eyre
12-09-2016, 02:12 PM
In case anyone is following this thread, I figured out what the noise was. As it turns out the chain was "tight" because, when I got the chain cover off of it, I found out the plastic chain slider had come out of place and was wedged in there sideways now, causing the chain to be super tight but also causing that noise when the chain did some funny jumping around when dragging the bike backwards. When I got the piece dislodged and put back into place correctly (how it didn't break I have no idea), that cleared up the noise just fine. Now, on to the next one...

coolpool
12-11-2016, 11:22 AM
Well that's good news! What's next on the list? Post some pics of the beast.

Mike Eyre
12-12-2016, 12:40 PM
Well that's good news! What's next on the list? Post some pics of the beast.

If all had gone according to plan yesterday, I'd be bombing around in the snow right now with it.. but, as I pointed out in a new thread I just created in this forum, it turns out the PO swapped out an axle from a late 70's ATC90 into this thing, unbeknownst to me.. so after fighting like animals to get to get the old beaten bearings out, we only discovered that the replacement bearings were the wrong size. Gah. So, I just pushed the button to buy bearings for a '78 which should be here the end of the week and get me back in business. Now I just sorta wonder if I should go scour eBay and get the right axle for this (they have slightly bigger bearings) and go that route, or just leave it alone and enjoy it as is?

What do you think?

I post some pics when I get it back together. It don't look like much other than a pile of parts right now. ;)

coolpool
12-12-2016, 11:51 PM
If the swapped out axle fits OK, is straight, holds the bearings tight and has smooth surfaces for the seals to run on there's no reason to change it IMO. Install new bearings and seals and you're in business. Sounds like you're going to find a few skeletons with this project.