PDA

View Full Version : 1985 250es Big Red

Crobertson
12-04-2016, 09:54 PM
bought a new to me big red yesterday. she is clean as a pin, I even got the title and original paperwork. got it home and it ran like it should. I went out to the shop this morning to find a puddle of gas under the bike. After closer inspection I found a pin hole so I removed the tank so I could start the process of cleaning and getting ready to coat it. I removed the petcock and the inside filter didn't come out. I grabbed it with a set of needle nose pliers it just came to pieces, grabbed it from the inside and nothing. What am I missing. Shouldn't it just come out from the bottom... I got a little rough with it but didn't want to get to rough, any help would be greatly appreciated. :wondering

deejaycee_2000
12-05-2016, 02:23 AM
I had the same problem, it is suppose to only pull out from the bottom, get out what you can and then just flush your tank, buy a new screen set and you are good to go.

wonderboy
12-05-2016, 11:46 AM
Those screens get stuck. They are supposed to just pull out from the bottom. I've found that the key to getting them out (after being in there a long time) is to use something to try to spin them in the hole to un-stick them. I've used a large flat blade screwdriver (carefully) down the middle to try to get it to turn. I've tried an easy-out before too. They can be tough, and I've only gotten a few out this way. The rest just disintegrate. Once you get it out (one way or another) use a brass tube brush to clean all the junk out of the hole in the tank so that the next one stays free.

Add removal and cleaning of the filter to your annual list of maintenance and it won't get stuck again.

Crobertson
12-05-2016, 06:37 PM
Great info. Thanks for the help!!!237531

edizzle89
12-06-2016, 10:46 AM
i had mine get stuck it it got tore up from me pulling it out, i said F it and got an inline fuel filter and put that between the tank and the carb, easier to change and you can actually see if there's any crap coming through.

RUNMEDOWN
12-06-2016, 11:24 AM
i had mine get stuck it it got tore up from me pulling it out, i said F it and got an inline fuel filter and put that between the tank and the carb, easier to change and you can actually see if there's any crap coming through.
I did that as well, but the in-tank filter also keeps the crap out of the petcock. I tore down my "Non-rebuild-able" stock petcock (Another story involving drilling out the rivets and running tiny bolts though the petcock body) when I cleaned my tank and it was full of junk. The trap bowl on the bottom was almost full of a hard substance I had to cook out with Mapp gas.

Aulbaugh
12-06-2016, 11:44 AM
That's a nice big red to start with. Yeah as many members have said, those filters get stuck and can be a pain to get out. I had one too on my 250sx that just refused to come out. It took it falling apart before it would release. IIRC you can still get those filters for the petcock? Seems as though I saw them when I was looking at one for my 250sx. I agree with wonderboy on adding this to your check list as I have done that for myself after experiencing this same problem. Enjoy riding your Big Red!

Crobertson
12-10-2016, 06:45 PM
I got it out and cleaned up. Getting ready to coat the tank jow. Have the plastic on for now and hate the way it looks but it works. Bogs down a little when I get down on it so I'll probably clean the carb soon and get a new plug! Thanks for all the help! If I can ever figure out how to post big pictures I'll put some up.

HoldMyBeer
12-10-2016, 10:03 PM
Really good looking Big Red

itsjacob
12-12-2016, 12:14 PM
Big red looking good

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

edizzle89
12-15-2016, 03:27 PM
I did that as well, but the in-tank filter also keeps the crap out of the petcock. I tore down my "Non-rebuild-able" stock petcock (Another story involving drilling out the rivets and running tiny bolts though the petcock body) when I cleaned my tank and it was full of junk. The trap bowl on the bottom was almost full of a hard substance I had to cook out with Mapp gas.

i guess i never though about crap getting into the petcock itself. But in my case i had a new petcock and new plastic tank so i dont think ill have to worry about any crap getting stuck in it for a while