PDA

View Full Version : Creaking sound from front end?

Mike Eyre
12-09-2016, 03:11 PM
Got a 1982 Honda 110atc that has a very loud creaking sound coming from the front end (I think). I can hear it plainly when making turns and also while parked (and turned off) in the driveway and rocking it from side to side while applying some pressure to it (sitting or standing on the pegs, for instance). The steering feels tight and moves without problems, which was my first thought... the brarings in the front wheel are loose, but I can tell that it's not them.. I just don't hear the noise from this area at all. It sounds higher up.. I'm at a loss as to what to check next. Any clues?

AK47KID
12-09-2016, 03:16 PM
Got a 1982 Honda 110atc that has a very loud creaking sound coming from the front end (I think). I can hear it plainly when making turns and also while parked (and turned off) in the driveway and rocking it from side to side while applying some pressure to it (sitting or standing on the pegs, for instance). The steering feels tight and moves without problems, which was my first thought... the brarings in the front wheel are loose, but I can tell that it's not them.. I just don't hear the noise from this area at all. It sounds higher up.. I'm at a loss as to what to check next. Any clues?

Can you post a video. Might be rear bearings

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

BigRedGrizzly
12-09-2016, 04:06 PM
I had a similar problem. Try setting the ATC up on its rear wheels. Pull on the bottom of the forks forward and backwards. See if there is any play anywhere. If not, address the front wheel. Try moving the front wheel around in all directions taking note of any play. This happened to me on one of my ATCs and I came to find out the steering stem nut was loose. Quick, easy, cheap fix. Gotta love those. Hope you resolve your issue quickly.

BigRedGrizzly
12-09-2016, 04:08 PM

I had a similar problem. Try setting the ATC up on its rear wheels. Pull on the bottom of the forks forward and backwards. See if there is any play anywhere. If not, address the front wheel. Try moving the front wheel around in all directions taking note of any play. This happened to me on one of my ATCs and I came to find out the steering stem nut was loose. Quick, easy, cheap fix. Gotta love those. Hope you resolve your issue quickly.

AK47KID
12-09-2016, 04:13 PM

Do what big grizzly said to better diagnose the problem

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

coolpool
12-11-2016, 11:27 AM
You already identified one potential problem and stated that your bearings are loose. Change them out even if it's not the source; although my guess it is. They are solid forks and sound will resonate a long way. If your steering head bearings are loose or dry then that would be my next move.

Mike Eyre
12-12-2016, 11:30 AM
Thanks. I went to do this yesterday and it was a real bear to get the old bearings out. Finally got them out only to find that the "110 bearings" I had didn't fit..started researching some stuff and turns out I don't think this is actually a 110 hub. I make another thread on this already in this area, but this is the hub I had on the bike when I got it...237672and if my measurments are correct, I think this is the front hub from a 90. Right now I'm just trying to decide what I should do.. order bearings for a 90, or try and locate the correct front hub?

BigRedGrizzly
12-14-2016, 08:20 AM
If it were me, I would source a correct hub. I like my ATCs to pretty much be as designed and original as possible.