PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Honda 200ES BR, sputters

gpulis
12-13-2016, 09:08 PM
Hello all, Second post. Picked up a beat down Big Red a few months ago for $300. So far I've replaced the steering tree, the ignition coil and plug, piston rings, complete exhaust(DG) and various other minor parts. Speced my cylinder, cam, valves and head. I found several issues along the way. Somehow I goobered the intake valve clearance, corrected. I could not get her to idle and stumbled into an airbox problem. I had removed the lid and was able to adjust the idle. I ended up venting the airbox with brass fittings and vinyl hose. Right now it idles a little high but my concern is that at the top of the gear it sputters before the shift if that makes sense. Meaning I can accelerate pretty smooth until right before the time to shift to second.......or 3rd and 4th for that matter. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I haven't really played with the mixture on this yet but thought I would ask before I had time to work on her again. BEWARE, I picked up an 84 200S as well and I'm sure she'll bring some challenges of her own........YAY!!

itsjacob
12-14-2016, 09:36 AM
Does it bog? Or just sputter like it has too much air?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

gpulis
12-14-2016, 05:19 PM
No I wouldn't say bog. I have to stick with a straight sputter. And when I switch the next gear it will accelerate normal until time to shift again. Seems more rpm dependent than throttle. I'll be messing with the mixture tomorrow and I'll update then.

arlaunch
12-15-2016, 12:02 AM
I bought a machine a while back, put a cheapo ebay carb on and it does the same thing. I always figured it runs rich because my oil filter may have a bit too much gear oil on it?

I never hot rod the thing so it doesn't bother me.

Some day i will investigate what is going on. Unfortunately i have thousands and thousands of dollars to put towards other things first.

itsjacob
12-16-2016, 01:10 AM
Check your main, go down one size, see how she runs, if not go back to what your running now and try the needle clip

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

coolpool
12-17-2016, 11:56 AM
Is your pulse generator free to move? It's the component on the top of the engine, left side under the aluminum cap that has weights and springs on it. I believe it has a lot to do with timing advance.

gpulis
12-18-2016, 10:06 PM
been ridiculous busy because of Christmas stuff so haven't hit this hard yet. So this sputtering is typically from running rich? the pulse generator seems to operate freely and easy. But, maybe the springs are weak? If I have no improvement with the mixing I'll look at down sizing the main. Any tips on where to order these from? Thanks again for the replies. I appreciate yall.

350for350
12-19-2016, 09:59 PM
Either go to your local dealer or order online from jetsrus.com.