PDA

View Full Version : ATC 125m

leroysinclair
12-18-2016, 02:21 PM
Bought a 1984 atc125m 4 months ago, it has a weak spark but was in overall good condition. I replaced the coil, spark plug, and then the stator, after the new stator was installed it ran great for a solid month then all of a sudden it quit without warning. It has 0 spark now, i tried using the original coil as well as another new plug and no change. I tested both coils for continuity and they're both giving me no reading. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with anything similar, I am willing to buy a new coil but i'm wondering if there is an underlying issue causing the coils to fail?

Thanks!

ArizonaATC
12-18-2016, 04:31 PM
Howdy there Ghostrider! Seem like you're out of gas, did you check the muffler for spark?

It's hard to tell what's going on with your rig, I usually just give mine a lil "how she goin" to the side of the engine case with a sledge hammer and she fires right up.

HoldMyBeer
12-19-2016, 02:28 AM
Bought a 1984 atc125m 4 months ago, it has a weak spark but was in overall good condition. I replaced the coil, spark plug, and then the stator, after the new stator was installed it ran great for a solid month then all of a sudden it quit without warning. It has 0 spark now, i tried using the original coil as well as another new plug and no change. I tested both coils for continuity and they're both giving me no reading. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with anything similar, I am willing to buy a new coil but i'm wondering if there is an underlying issue causing the coils to fail?

Thanks!

I went through an ordeal on a 70. This video explains setting point gap better than I ever could. If no wires are pinched and gap is set correctly then you may have a ign coil. That was my issue a new coil was bad. However chances of 2 ign coils being bad are slim.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NEQfKv2FTxo

350for350
12-19-2016, 08:41 PM
Did you check the cdi?

leroysinclair
12-22-2016, 05:47 PM
Did you check the cdi?

Just checked the CDI with a multimeter, and it is the culprit. Thanks!

350for350
12-23-2016, 08:12 PM
You're welcome. That's what we're here for.