PDA

View Full Version : Tubes vs tubeless.. any advantages?

Mike Eyre
12-20-2016, 11:41 AM
New to the whole ATC thing still, and I have a bad rim that a good tire is currently on, and a good rim I'm gone swap it to. Thing is, it's the split remand I think theres some kind of gasket in-between.. so I can do it the right way and replace that gasket and try and air up the tire, or just stuff a tube in there and call it OK. But.. wondering? Is there any advantage or disadvantage of using a tube vs not?

RUNMEDOWN
12-20-2016, 01:06 PM
Tire without a tube can be plugged or you can use fix-a-flat. If a tub is punctured; it is done. That being said, tubes can be used for old tires that have tread that will not hold air or have dry rot, but they do not replace a good tubeless tire. For a split tire, just order the large o-ring for the rim, I have used caulking, cut big chunks of rubber, but nothing will work as good as the original.

fabiodriven
12-20-2016, 06:54 PM
Exactly what he said. Always avoid using tubes. I have used tubes in dry rotted tires that still had good tread, but they are always a pain in the arse for multiple reasons.

Weis003
12-22-2016, 07:09 PM
My 200x would constantly rip the stem off by twisting the time rim inside the tire. Best to buy a newer 1 piece rim or weld yours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoldMyBeer
12-22-2016, 10:04 PM
I've had good luck with tubes. Green slime even makes some that are pre-filled with goo that are amazing. Never had them in anything with enough torque to shear the stem. That'd be a problem