PDA

View Full Version : Chainsaws

sweetip2000
12-26-2016, 12:36 AM
Does anyone know who makes Powerking chainsaws ? I saw a 20 inch 57cc for 211 bucks new.
I was wondering if they are husqvarna private label or something like that. I just wanna make sure
I am not buying a chinese 2 stroke. Thanks

tripledog
12-26-2016, 01:23 AM
The math suggests that it is a saw of questionable quality. A decent saw with a displacement of 55cc or greater and a metal crankcase would cost well over $500. I paid nearly $500 for a Husqvarna 460 Rancher that I ordered on line. When I got the saw, I couldn't believe that it had a plastic crankcase. I never even tried to start it. I brought it back to Lowe's and had my money refunded.
I did a google search, but could not find the country of origin for Powerking chainsaws.

El Camexican
12-26-2016, 02:04 AM
I find that every brand of chainsaw offers cutting edge technology ;)

barnett468
12-26-2016, 02:31 AM
Well instead of useless (and bad) jokes that don't help you one iota, I suggest you simply call them and ask them where they are made and where the individual parts are made, because the parts may be made outside the US but "Assembled In America" . Their ad states the chain saw cases are proudly made in the USA but they say nothing about the origin of the actual saw, so my guess is that the ad speaks for itself, however, never assume.

http://www.qvtools.com/chainsaws 1-800-344-3371

............................................https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_R0jcDRd6Nxg/RY8dww5IwzI/AAAAAAAAAKU/PvdcKv2GyQY/s400/southpark-happyholidays.JPG

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

fabiodriven
12-26-2016, 07:26 AM
It should go without saying that a 20" saw for $211 brand new is not going to be anything worth buying. Unfortunately those turds are most likely the highest selling saws out there, the disposable ones I mean, because we live in a throwaway society. When they break, and that doesn't take long, you toss them out. You'll then have strong feelings of anger like Barnett has been harboring deep inside for so very, very long, and I wouldn't blame you. The way to avoid that is to buy a quality saw. Even a nice used saw can at least be worked on if you find one that needs a little love. That's not even an option with a throwaway. I understand not everyone is made of money but I'd suggest you roll into your local Stihl, Husky, or Echo dealer at least just to peruse their selection and get an idea of what you need to come up with. Personally I'd recommend avoiding the Lowe's and Home Depot Husqvarna selection because they are allowed to sell an inferior product designed to be sold exclusively by big chain outlets.

Scootertrash
12-26-2016, 09:09 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say to stay away from items like that with prices like that. I think you're barking up the wrong tree. You could branch out and look on craigslist and get a quality saw used, might cost ya a bit more, but you'll have parts availability when needed. I've logged quite a few hours on my Huskys: A 435 with a 16 in bar, a 55 with a 16 in bar, and a 460 with a 24 in bar. They aren't the "professional grade" saws, but they've served me well and I do a fair amount of cutting since we burn wood in the winter and we live on a wooded lot and have the occasional tree fall down.

ETA:
Personally I'd recommend avoiding the Lowe's and Home Depot Husqvarna selection because they are allowed to sell an inferior product designed to be sold exclusively by big chain outlets.

I'm gonna double down on Fabio's advice on this. The big manufacturers do have a different line they sell at the home improvement stores. That includes lawn mowers too, especially the riders. ;)

Aulbaugh
12-26-2016, 10:07 AM
You'll then have strong feelings of anger like Barnett has been harboring deep inside for so very, very long, and I wouldn't blame you .

You got some personal hate for this dude. It's apparent. I too agree with Fabio and Scoot that a quality chainsaw is the way to go. I am personal fan of Stihl. Their products can be alittle pricey but they last and parts are readily available. Everyone have a great day!

fabiodriven
12-26-2016, 10:16 AM
Actually I do not. I don't harbour that feeling towards anyone and I actually don't even use that word, so I would appreciate if you don't try to project on me. I actually considered him one of my friends on here and was taken aback by his attack on me the other day which caught me completely blind-sided. I'm not sure if you noticed, but all of my replies to him have been very low key in the hopes that he will get past whatever it is that's truly bothering him and stop attempting to make me appear as some sort of villain. My mentioning of his name here is a poke, a playful one. He'll either take it as such or continue his delusional posting which is a win/win because both outcomes there are OK, not to mention the chuckle gotten by the initial comment.

I venture to guess you've read his posting in which he portrays his thoughts of how I feel for him. I suggest that anyone who wants to know how I feel about anything read my words and how I feel personally. His words trying to explain how I feel are pure rhetoric, plain and simple. I've never met this man, I don't know him, I thought I liked him, but I have no idea how he can think he has the first clue what's going through my mind and even less of an idea how you do.

So rather than telling me how I feel, had you asked instead, I would have told you no, I do not feel that way about Barnett or anyone for that matter.

Aulbaugh
12-26-2016, 11:24 AM
Actually I do not. I don't harbour that feeling towards anyone and I actually don't even use that word, so I would appreciate if you don't try to project on me. I actually considered him one of my friends on here and was taken aback by his attack on me the other day which caught me completely blind-sided. .

Your right, I should have used a different word. Hate is a powerful word.

Herboso
12-26-2016, 12:02 PM
I have a Stihl MS250 that my wife got me for Christmas a few years ago. I do not cut a lot of wood but it has been very reliable. It starts right up every time even after having sat unused for quite awhile. Got it from a locally owned tractor/machinery shop nearby that has great service. Lowes and Home Depot do not have great personal service like this place. Like others above, I suggest spending a little more on quality and reputation and get a saw from a local chainsaw dealer that provides good personal service.

fabiodriven
12-26-2016, 12:15 PM
That was actually the saw I used for years, an MS250. It's still hanging in my shed. I think the top end popped finally but I had been waiting for it to die for years, lol. It treated me really well but I had outgrown it and needed a bigger saw but I wouldn't allow myself to get one until the Stihl croaked. Finally one day it did and that's when I got my 576XP. I've always been a Husky man but the Stihls are just as good and actually most professionals prefer Stihl. The MS250 is the perfect quality beginner homeowner saw. My little Husky 435 is great too, but it would be a bit small to keep as the only saw around. I absolutely love both my Huskies. The 435's Scooter and I got were only $140! They were remanufactured but mine looked absolutely brand new. I have no idea what could have been used prior on it.

Scootertrash
12-26-2016, 01:15 PM
Mine looked brand new also (They where remanufactured saws). I had some fuel supply issues with it initially, it would die when it got warm and didn't want to start back up.. I found that they had forgotten to put the filter on the end of the line inside the tank, so I added that, pulled the carb apart and "cleaned" it even tho it looked spotless, been running like a champ ever since. Not sure what I really "fixed" other than the filter.

tripledog
12-26-2016, 05:03 PM
These saws have served me very well. The larger saw is a Stihl MS362 C-M, and is going on 4 years old. The smaller saw is a Husqvarna 55 Rancher, and is about 15 years old. The Stihl has already cut over 20 full cord, and hasn't skipped a beat. It is in better shape than the Husky, because I have learned how to better care for my saws. I heat my home with a woodstove only (I don't even have a furnace), so I can justify paying for a decent quality saw.

Bren_downe
12-26-2016, 05:07 PM
I have an old Mcculloch 610 pro Mac, it is the most reliable damn thing I've ever owned. The only draw back is its weight.

Herboso
12-26-2016, 09:23 PM
I have an old Mcculloch 610 pro Mac, it is the most reliable damn thing I've ever owned. The only draw back is its weight.

Yeah but I bet it can't swim :-)

Dirtcrasher
12-27-2016, 12:59 AM
I know it's not a big boy saw, but I have an old Pro Mac and I got to finally try it this fall.

Fabio took me to what was basically an estate sale a few years back and the guy had like 10 of the flippin saws for 50$; Pick one!! Amongst many other bargain tool deals you cannot imagine. It was a great weekend!!

It's made out of metal and lopped off a big ole oak tree side branch this fall. When it went thru the saw using my left arm that I had injured before, somehow it managed to partially tear my rotator cuff as it fell downwards and I finally let it go. After 8 weeks of physical therapy, I'm doing very well but still not pushing it....

Didn't mean to hijack you Andy; It just jarred the "CHAIN SAW INCIDENT" within me :lol:

hoosierlogger
12-28-2016, 08:51 PM
As with anything, you get what you pay for for. Spend the extra money, save the headache, get something that will last. I'm a diehard stihl man. I own approximately $8000 worth of chainsaws, as I am in the logging business. I still have the very first stihl saw I started with 10 years ago. It still gets used daily. That saw has cut over 5,000,000 board feet of timber. It still starts, runs, and cuts as it should even on the original bore and crank bearings. Granted, it is no longer a felling saw. It is mostly used as a buck up saw on the log yard. I'm willing to bet the case of that $211 bargain won't last 10 years.

RIDE-RED 250r
01-16-2017, 07:04 PM
Husqvarna/Jonsereds, Stihl, Dolmar and Echo. Stick with those brands and you won't be buying "budget" Chinese junk.

All of those brands I listed offer what would generally be known as budget "homeowner" grade saws as well as the quality "professional grade" equipment they built their good reputations on. Just avoid plastic crankcases and you should be fine. Remember, you get what you pay for.

fieldy
01-16-2017, 08:09 PM
The stihl shops here started pushing all synthetic oil at purchase which doubles your warranty if only synthetic is used. The synthethic costs alot more and to me its not worth it because you can really go through alot of chainsaw gas. Plus I've never seen a stihl that quit in the first few years if taken care of. I suppose the synthetic oil is better for the cylinder in cold weather start ups and i am sure is better all around oil.We use saws hard and often, just not daily.

Caminofeld
01-16-2017, 10:17 PM
Ditto to everyone who suggested pay the extra for a quality saw. I've had my Stihl MS391 for probably 10 years or more and it still rips. Just gotta keep 'er tuned up and sharpen that chain every few uses. You may find a good used one on CL.

83ATC185
01-17-2017, 09:26 AM
if you're looking for a lightweight easy to use saw the Husky 440 is a good choice for the price, I've owned one going on 6 years now, gets used bi-weekly in the winter, sits most of the summer and fires right up every time, although it is a bit underpowered imo.

But, if you're looking for a saw that will survive a nuclear apocalypse, handle 90% of the average guys cutting needs, rip your arm off on startup, and let the entire world know you're cutting firewood, the 266xp is a good saw!

Matt85'350x
01-17-2017, 01:30 PM
I've had good luck with my stihl's. I have a Farm boss which has been really good to me and also the big boy MS660. I burn about 10 federal cords each year to heat my house and hot water during the winter months; I've got an outdoor wood boiler which works great but it does require regular feedings. Recently got a top handle Echo CS-355T for limbing and the occasional climbing. So far the Echo has been reliable although it tends to take more pulls to get going; I'm happy with the power especially considering its size.

RIDE-RED 250r
01-17-2017, 04:57 PM
Saw forums are a good source of good used saws as well...

Evan Hagenow
01-17-2017, 07:28 PM
We have both small echo with a 14 inch bar on it and stihl 290 with a 18 inch bar on it. Both have been tuned up once in the last 4 years and always start. When they arent in use they sit in an unheated shed until next use and always have gas sitting in them. Very impressed with the echo especially being a homeowners grade saw. Both their weed wackers and saws I wouldn't hesitate to buy.

Caminofeld
01-18-2017, 11:34 PM
I beat the piss outta my $200 Echo string trimmer for years and it still runs well. I cut back mile or 2 of trail tangle a few times a year with a brush cutting attachment and even turned the brush head sideways to cut a 4" deep trench around my hilly/rocky front/back yard for an invisible fence. More than happy with that investment!

briano
01-19-2017, 01:49 PM
Pay the extra and get a quality saw. My Husqvarna was around $800, expensive, yes, but it has been flawless for the last 10 years. For most homeowners, a saw bought from a dealer, being a Stihl, or Husqvarna, will have a warranty that can be honored at the dealer. If you buy one from the big box stores, you have to send it in for repairs and wait to get it back.

There's a guy that lives by me that can't see spending more than $200 on a saw and orders them from Northern Tool, the Bluemax or whatever they are. He had a pile of dead ones in his shed. In the last 10 years since I spent $800 on mine, I bet he has over that in junk saws in a pile.

sweetip2000
01-20-2017, 02:39 AM
I ended up getting a Poulanyom. 100 bucks refurb on egay. 50cc 20inch bar and put an Oregon chain on it.
From what I was told its a poor mans huskvarnish. Oh well you can get replacement parts but ya cant hot rod the motor. Lots of mods for the ranchers saws and whatnot. My other saw is an old stihl but has a small bar and motor but runs great. So many Chinese knock offs out there. I just cant picture myself with a Chinese chainsaw. So solly.

briano
01-20-2017, 01:30 PM
You will regret buying that thing. Refurb Poulan, it's already been junk once. My father in law has one, got as a gift, you can't adjust the carb to get it to run right unless you have the "special" tool. Even after adjusting the carb it seems like it's always changing how it runs. One day it's good, next day it's rich or lean. Good luck with it.

83ATC185
01-20-2017, 01:46 PM
The tool-less chain adjustment is a pain. yeah no tools but it loosens itself automatically every few minutes. At least my grandfathers did.

fabiodriven
01-20-2017, 04:16 PM
Yeah unfortunate to hear that you ended up with a Poulin, however as long as you get whatever you need cut then success!

RIDE-RED 250r
01-20-2017, 04:36 PM
My project I just started. Got it all torn down, parts cleaned, and prepped for reassembly two days ago... Husky 394XP :beer

86 350x
01-24-2017, 03:30 PM
When I go to the woods, I go to cut wood I take my stihl, they make good saws and they make cheaper saws that personally I wouldn't spend money on
Iv used huskys and they make good saws aswell

Hurley250R
01-24-2017, 05:11 PM
Back in the early 80's when I was little we were driving and there was a chainsaw laying in the road, my dad got out and picked it up as no one was around, there was some logging going on in the area and it must have fallen out of a truck. It was a MAC 10-10 if I remember correctly, anyways he used it very little over the last 30 yrs and when he died it was passed onto my brother. He has a wood stove and cuts alot out of his timber, He said it wasn't bad just heavy compared to the huskys he normally uses. Oh yeah he also said it would vibrate your hands numb and had no chain break lol a real man's saw.

dman10
01-26-2017, 12:17 AM
If your gonna spend money on a saw I'd spend the money on a sthil, best there is in my opinion. I own 5, had them for years, not a single ones ever broke. Maintain it and it'll last you forever.

86waterpumper
03-06-2017, 05:21 PM
No love for the homelites in here? I have a husqvarna 455 rancher, mine is identical to triple dog's, but my dad's old homelite XL-12 has cut more cords of wood than I care to remember! Those suckers have metal oiling lines, thick metal case etc. Still runs, just needs a tuneup and some new fuel line and is not hard to pull start. Also the new huskys have a combination choke/ kill switch which I think sucks. If I was going to get another husq. I would hunt a older one. I also hear that the EPA have put out new stricter emissions for saws just like for cars, and the power across the board is down on some of the new ones? I have not used any Dolmars or Jonsereds etc but I am sure they are good saws. I agree about the advice on the Echo the older ones at least were made in Japan are they still? Echo used to make some very good small sized saws. Shindiawas are good also, but I would buy a cross cut saw before I paid for a poulan, or blue maxx from home depot etc.

Evan Hagenow
03-06-2017, 05:49 PM
I think the lack of love for the homelites is reserved for the all plastic versions, when you can feel how cheap the saw is when you pick it up without even starting.

tripledog
03-06-2017, 06:30 PM
If you have a Husky identical to mine, 86waterpumper, it is a 55 rancher. The 455 has a plastic crankcase.

fabiodriven
03-06-2017, 07:56 PM
He's right about the old Homelites! Those were really good! Jonsered as well!

RIDE-RED 250r
03-06-2017, 08:00 PM
No love for the homelites in here? I have a husqvarna 455 rancher, mine is identical to triple dog's, but my dad's old homelite XL-12 has cut more cords of wood than I care to remember! Those suckers have metal oiling lines, thick metal case etc. Still runs, just needs a tuneup and some new fuel line and is not hard to pull start. Also the new huskys have a combination choke/ kill switch which I think sucks. If I was going to get another husq. I would hunt a older one. I also hear that the EPA have put out new stricter emissions for saws just like for cars, and the power across the board is down on some of the new ones? I have not used any Dolmars or Jonsereds etc but I am sure they are good saws. I agree about the advice on the Echo the older ones at least were made in Japan are they still? Echo used to make some very good small sized saws. Shindiawas are good also, but I would buy a cross cut saw before I paid for a poulan, or blue maxx from home depot etc.

The classic Homelites are solid for sure.. :beer

Yes, EPA emission standards have reached chainsaw world... BUT, on the professional saws the power is most definitely not down. The latest Huskies are running AutoTune carbs and while they have had their hiccups initially, they have sorted most of the issues out and those AT saws are amazing. If you want to try one, pick up a Husky 550xp or 562xp. You will be amazed at how much attitude those saws have. Stihl has their version of Autotun as well, it's called M-Tronic and they have had some growing pains as well.

Jonsereds are just a red and black Husqvarna since the late 1980's or early 1990's. Exact same saws aside from some minor cosmetic differences. Think Chevy and GMC

Dolmar makes a fine saw. My father in law has a 6400 I have some run time with. Very solid saw and a good performer.

Echo still are made in Japan and by all accounts I have seen they make a great saw at a significantly lower pricepoint than your main two dominating brands. I have not run one myself though.

Just do me a favor, don't judge Husky by the 455 Rancher. It is a stepped up "homeowner" grade saw and nothing like it's XP counterparts of similar displacement. My 346xp will flat out smoke a 455 Rancher in any size wood you want to put them in.

Side note: My 394xp build is coming along... I sent my cylinder to IA to have the base and squish cut along with raising the transfers. I will finish up the port job (raise and widen exhaust and possibly increase intake duration) myself. :D

This saw is going to be badass!

86waterpumper
03-07-2017, 10:57 AM
I don't know why I said 455 Rancher... sorry. The numbers being so close and all had me off. Anyway my saw is in fact a 55, and was bought around the millenium same as yours tripledog. I have not personally used a 455, but from what I read it is fairly heavy, and is not much of a worthy replacement. I guess it is bulky and does not turn many rpms, so seems they have tried to make it a stihl instead of a husky :P hahahaha. It probably is not a totally horrible saw, if compared to the likes of the consumer saws available in home owner grade nowdays, but I have a feeling all the "home owner" grade saws have been in a downhill slide for awhile maybe about since the time tripledog and I got our 55s. The older 55 was sort of a stop gap measure between "home grade" and "pro grade", and mine has worked very well over the years I have to say. I know the pro line of saws husky makes are good, and if I was sawing wood for a living that is what I would probably get, or some of the echos still look pretty nice like the CS-800p, used to be called the cs8000 I think and are affordable compared to some. They also are still mostly metal which is pretty cool.

In my case, I just fool around with cutting up some dead fall limbs a few times a year so even though the vintage ones are heavier and maybe don't turn up fast I think they look (and sound) cool and have a certain nostalgia much like 3 wheelers. A old loud school bus yellow mculloch smoking along is pretty cool even though in practical use it may not be great... The Homelite 360, 450, 550, 650, and 750 made in the 80's was ok/fair but I would not be running anything 90's and up. The old XL series , xl12, especially the supers, and the xl800/ xl925 line were super awesome saws. There are ALOT of them still running I don't think they were the best at everything but I sort of consider them the honda of chainsaws, just very tough and reliable. It doesn't matter how light a saw is or how many rpms etc if it won't crank or stay running when you get in the woods. Homelite was very innovative. The xl line in the 60s and 70s were sort of the first saw in the 50cc range that was lightweight but would still cut worth a crap. Saws before then atleast most available in the U.S. like mcullochs and such were liable to weigh 20 pounds and on up. The super ez was also interesting, it was a small nimble size, and had a high compression (for the time) but had a comp. release so it was easy to start, and would still turn a 16" or even 18" chain with some authority. I still rank the super ez right up there very high for a regular reliable firewood saw. I like them so much I have a second one on the way for my dad haha. With the amount they made, and still lots of parts available it seems a good choice if you want to actually use a vintage saw. Some like the older stihls have ignition demons and the parts are getting very scarce to find. Ride red you will have to post up a youtube vid of that 394 husky running once you get it built. Looks like it will be a mean runner, but have fun starting it!

fabiodriven
03-07-2017, 11:41 AM
From what you're describing, the 55 sounds exactly like the 455. I've never seen or used a 55, but I used to use a 455 at the tree company I worked for. I was the only one there who would use it, they couldn't stand it. It is definitely a lazy saw, lol. I didn't mind it but the boss was insane and used to yell at me as the 455 chewed away at it's own pace.

86waterpumper
03-07-2017, 11:59 AM
I have not used the 455 myself, just was reading about it on the web from other comments. If the description is right, I don't believe the 55 like I and tripledog have is the same saw at all. I am sure the 55 is not at husky pro level, but mine has alot of compression, will spin the chain plenty fast, and turns lots of rpms. This has always been the husky benchmark (to me). Even my husky weedeater turns a heck of alot of rpm compared to others I have owned in the past and even though the engine size is small it will destroy weeds like mad if you keep it turned up. If the 455 has gone full plastic crankcase that obviously sucks. It sounds like it worked ok for you, just took a bit more patience? If the boss didn't care for it I guess he should have sold it and popped for a faster saw right? LOL. Sometimes the best use for a slow saw like that, is just to stick a long bar on it, if it will pull it and let it chug along.

People seem to forget though that plenty of wood got cut all through the world in the 1950s through the 70s with big heavy saws that would not turn many rpm at all. In my experience, more benefit comes from having a super sharp chain, a good bar, adequate bar oiling etc. I have seen many people with a hotrod saw screaming away with a dull chain,(or one sharpened wrong) and burning through the wood instead of cutting it and not much wood chips coming out the other end... all those rpms are not a good thing when the saw chain is spinning on top of the wood and the thing is free revving, burning the motor up... haha. They set the saws lean from the factory now anyway for emissions and you would be surprised how many people cut with theirs this way

RIDE-RED 250r
03-08-2017, 07:54 AM
Waterpumper is correct, the older 55 is a quality magnesium case built saw where the newer "Rancher" line are plastic chassis "clamshell" designs. While the 55 was not as high a performer as the XP saws, it is still a well built and very respectable saw. Pro grade build construction but not quite as high strung in performance.

The old Homelite have put a ton of wood on the ground for sure. My grandfather had and used his XL12 till he passed away in 2010 and that saw still runs today. My dad had an XL400 when I was a kid growing up. Well made solid saws.

Guys, a quick little check so you can know if the Husky or Johnny-Red you are looking at is a mag case or plastic clamshell saw: remove the bar oil cap. You will be able to tell quick and easy by the bar oil fill hole if you are looking at magnesium or plastic

And you're spot on about the importance of a properly sharpened chain.

Speaking of the olden days, ever read up on the old big felling saws that had 2-speed gear boxes on them?? Cool stuff!

And I will definitely put up a vid of my 394 when I get it finished :)