PDA

View Full Version : New here, new to me 250sx needs some fixing

Deezil1
12-28-2016, 12:14 PM
I just acquired an 85 250sx, it has zero brakes, headlight is broke, and above 3/4 throttle it cuts out. So my questions..

- Are big red brakes close enough that I can use the levers and brake arms? Im missing the brake arm on the front brake

- The 3/4 throttle cut out, Ive mostly had 2 strokes, so where would I start with this one?

Thanks! Other than that its in decent shape, starts and runs great.

Whiskeythrottle
12-28-2016, 02:30 PM
Most parts off a big red are interchangeable with the sx. I'm sure they'll work. The cutout problem most likely a fuel issue. I would drain the tank, check for rust inside, install a inline fuel filter between the tank and carb. Also you should clean the carb out.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Deezil1
12-28-2016, 02:46 PM
Most parts off a big red are interchangeable with the sx. I'm sure they'll work. The cutout problem most likely a fuel issue. I would drain the tank, check for rust inside, install a inline fuel filter between the tank and carb. Also you should clean the carb out.

Great, thanks a bunch!

Whiskeythrottle
12-28-2016, 02:57 PM
No problem, I bought my first trike not to long ago also. You should also change the spark plug, change the rear diff fluid, and a oil change with a new filter. Check your air filter to make sure it's not rotted off and that's there's not a mouse nest like mine had. That way you know everything is fresh and ready to roll. I always do this with any new to me toys. Gives me peace of mind. Lol

Deezil1
12-28-2016, 03:10 PM
Just got it, so making sure I start off right.

BigRedGrizzly
12-28-2016, 11:21 PM
I just acquired an 85 250sx, it has zero brakes, headlight is broke, and above 3/4 throttle it cuts out. So my questions..

- Are big red brakes close enough that I can use the levers and brake arms? Im missing the brake arm on the front brake

- The 3/4 throttle cut out, Ive mostly had 2 strokes, so where would I start with this one?

Thanks! Other than that its in decent shape, starts and runs great.

Sounds like the main jet may be clogged. I'm pretty sure that is the circuit that provides 3/4 throttle and up.

BigRedGrizzly
12-28-2016, 11:28 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161229/04996b6822d9dcf0ff90b8184fa5330f.jpg

barnett468
12-29-2016, 12:29 AM
How old is the gas?

I would start with the following:

GAS INSPECTION

If the carburetor is original, there is a small screw on the side of the bottom of the float bowl.

1. Turn the gas on.

2. Put the end of the float bowl drain hose into a small narrow clear glass.

3. Turn the screw counter clockwise until gas comes out.

4. Put around 1 inch of gas in the glass.

5. Put a piece of white paper behind the glass then look at the gas . If it is pale yellow or darker, it is too old the new gas has re-emulsified some old dried up gas residue and/or the tank is rusty . Also tilt the glass slightly then look closely for a small clear bubble in the bottom . If there is a bubble it is water which will cause a performance problem.

Old gas or gas contaminated with old gas residue can cause a similar problem plus it can cause the valves and/or piston rings to stick.

AIR FILTER

Pinch the air filter lightly then try to pull the material off . If it comes off easily it is toast . You can find occasionally find new originals on Ebay or you can get a replacement from Uni Filter . If it is good just clean it them put some foam air filter oil on it but you can also use a little engine oil . You can run it dry for a little while if you don't have foam filter oil and don't want to use engine oil as long as you don't ride it in a dusty area.

http://www.unifilter.com/

SPARK PLUG

Post a photo of the end of the plug and post the part number . Check the gap clearance.

OIL

Install new oil as mentioned but use one with zinc levels of 1150 or slightly higher . If you want to use synthetic I would use a group IV type . They do not use viscosity modifiers so they are basically shear free.

CARBURETOR

Never hurts to disassemble it as mentioned but it may not be necessary . The base gasket sometimes swells up from using corn gas and then may not go back into place.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

Deezil1
01-03-2017, 01:39 PM
Great stuff, thanks guys. When the temps get above freezing again (no heated area to work on it :( ) I plan to get it cleaned up and working.