PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Honda 200M Won't Shift Into Neutral

Phil612
12-29-2016, 06:57 PM
Hi All,

Sold the last trike and got a new one for a good deal! The only catch is that I have to fix it up. I've been humming along with simple things like the wiring, adding back in missing parts, and other easy things, but I've hit a bit of a snag with the gears/clutch.

I have it running fine but it's always in gear and when I throttle up the power didn't transfer well to the wheels, so i figured the clutch pack was shot. I just got done replacing the clutch pack (Holy smokes is that 30MM reverse threaded nut hard to remove without a impact wrench), and while replacing the clutch pack fixed it to some extent, I am still having trouble not being able to shift it into Neutral.

The manual for this trike calls out the shift pattern as N-1-2-3-4-5 (Page 1-4 http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/honda/200M_84-85_shopmanual.pdf) but when I'm as low as I can currently go by clicking down the foot shifter it is still engaged, which makes me think it's still in 1st.

Does anyone know if this is in-fact the shift pattern for this trike and if it is, does anyone have any ideas why I can't shift it into N? (also, I've tried to shift into N with the 1-N-2-3-4-5 shift pattern in mind with no luck)

Thanks!
-Phil

gimmeamidget
12-29-2016, 09:27 PM
Some have neutral all the way up...54321N and some are neutral all the way down N12345. Try shifting all the way up.

gimmeamidget
12-29-2016, 09:30 PM
If your in high gear and not first it would explain the lack of power to the wheels.

350for350
12-30-2016, 10:20 PM
You can look to see if the shift pattern is on the side of the engine. It's usually cast into the side cover around the shifter.