PDA

View Full Version : TRI Z correct compression tester & leakdown tester

this old rz
12-31-2016, 11:30 AM
Just bought a old Tri Z, need to find out condition & tune up. 1st thing 1st. Compression & leakdown. (bear with me folks I'm budget restricted...lol)

1st time trying this. I bought a inexpensive compression kit from HF. I did a test on the Tri Z and ir reads 90 lbs.?

Now I know that would be considered very low...Mt question : Ive read on several vintage tuners websites thst a "specific" compression tester is required, with a valve in the end?? Is that true?

The length oh the nipple on my tester is about 1/4" shorter than my spark plug. So volume wouldnt be the same.

Yea I know its a HF tool, (but would it be that far off? ) From what I understand I want around 150LBS.

Also can anyone recommend a CHEAP leakdown tester..that I can build or buy..that I can obtain Reliable readings from.

Thanks!

nd4speed
01-10-2017, 06:09 PM
For leak down tester you could try to make your own:
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/96856-Make-a-leak-down-tester-for-about-20

HondaCT90
01-15-2017, 12:24 PM
Spray soapy water where the tool threads into the head and on the tool to make sure it doesn't leak. The compression tester has to have a schrader valve if the tool doesn't have one its useless thats with any compression tester..
Does the engine run? If so I would think there is a problem with the tool.
The compression tester sold at sears is a good one.