PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a good Tachometer that they would recommend.

greenhaze20
01-03-2017, 10:24 AM
I am looking for a good Tachometer for my 86 250r, i was wondering if anyone had some good ideas/ trail tested ones. I like the trail tec gauge but because it has water temperature, and tac, but still looking around.

Thanks,
Andrew

Shupe
01-10-2017, 12:20 AM
I can't recommend one as I've never had a tach but I've always liked the idea of a trail tec.

brandonlowe2
01-10-2017, 09:53 AM
I haven't got it yet but I am planning on getting a trail tech.... I am thinking about going all out for the voyager model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeswinehart
01-10-2017, 08:31 PM
These used to be quite common on ebay. Thought I would open it up to show. I tried one on my 84 tecate but had it wired wrong and toasted it,,,, sad. I bought another and never opened untill now. Tecate has the hardest mag voltage, ,,, I ended up using European issue NSR 250 honda bike tach innards and made my own canisters,,,,, made a 12 volt power pak to separate power all together,,,, last all season since they don't draw much juice if you don't have the back light on.

jeswinehart
01-10-2017, 08:37 PM
You might have a look at "Drag speciltes ". They make a decent 4 stroke single cylinder tach that works well on 350x,,,, they probably have something 2 stroke,,,, maybe.
Single fire is a key word I beleive.

jeswinehart
01-10-2017, 08:49 PM
Well while putting the vintage one back in my personnel display case I got to fondling the 3 remain tachs I have (that ain't for sale). Few of the members run them on thier 2 strokes.
Universal handle bar mount + 250r liquid bracket bracket I made.
Okay,,, don't know much more,,, and forgot the rest so hope this gives you some ideas if all you want is a tach.

john

brandonlowe2
01-10-2017, 10:09 PM
At the risk of sounding like an amateur idiot (which I admit I am) where does a tach wire into on a 2 stroke to get it's reading?

Rob Canadian
01-10-2017, 11:33 PM
At the risk of sounding like an amateur idiot (which I admit I am) where does a tach wire into on a 2 stroke to get it's reading?

Trigger side of the coil. I think(?) You have to be careful with model you use. I know this is for a 2 stroke but some/many 4 strokes have a 'wasted spark' type system. So basically a 2 stroke tach will work on a 4 stroke and vise versa.

greenhaze20
01-10-2017, 11:36 PM
Usually you wrap the sensing wire around the spark plug wire three times or whatever the manual says for a reading. Thanks for all the great ideas, I really like that Honda tachometer I will have to keep my eyes out for one.

Trike_crazy
01-16-2017, 04:10 PM
Look on ebay for a koso single cylinder tach. They run about $100. Just another idea

wonderboy
01-19-2017, 08:45 AM
The Honda tachs that I've messed with connect to the ignition coil, on the side that connects to the CDI. The Honda ATC tach and several years of Honda Magna motorcycle tachs (which are similar) are designed for a system that fires the spark plug on every revolution. This means it works on every two stroke engine and four stroke engines like the 350x (which fires the spark plug on every rev of the crank).