PDA

View Full Version : New Member just picked up a 1985 250ES Big Red in central Oklahoma, needs work....

Larry Hampton
01-17-2017, 07:42 PM
Well, as of yet I haven't picked it up, will this weekend. My buddy has it right now, it's missing plastics, tank, seat and the wiring harness is pretty cut up. That's where I'm planning on starting. I've seen that PS2FIXER has been making harnesses, I sent him a PM. I'll post pics as soon as I can.

Larry Hampton
01-17-2017, 07:46 PM
In the early 70's my dad brought a used blue 90 home. Later he picked up a new 110. I wanted to ride it so bad, but I was a little small, so he got me a 70 for Christmas, and later got my sister one too. Later he traded my 70 for a 185S for himself and I got bumped to the 110. After a bit, he traded the 185S on a 200 and then shortly after that, traded all of them for a pair of 200 Big Reds. They got stolen around 1985 or 1986 and we never replaced them.

Big G
01-18-2017, 03:00 PM
Sounds like you have 3 wheelers in your blood. Keep us posted on progress with the 250ES!

350for350
01-18-2017, 10:31 PM
If you have trouble with the carb, Flyingw is the guy to talk to. I have a 250sx and I know these are great machines. Have fun.

Larry Hampton
01-19-2017, 12:44 PM
In the blood, yes, knowing what I'm doing in messing with them? No. All I ever did was put gas in them and change the oil. We'd gotten them all new (well, my sister's was used, but like new) and never had a lick of problems with them. In fact, they all looked new except my 70, with had a dent in the tank from, I guess the triple tree? I was flying thru a pasture about 30mph and hit a hole that sucked in the front tire and threw me over the handlebars. The foot peg landed on my left leg and bounced off me and landed on the front tire with the back end up in the air, the front end pivoted and dented the tank.

I have the 1985 ATC250ES wiring diagram pdf downloaded from here. I also have the pdf of the 85-87 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red service manual (284 pages) I got from him (I assume maybe he downloaded it from here as well).

So I guess sources for plastics, seat and tank are what I'm going to look for right now. I really don't like the looks of the plastic tanks, but the steel ones are probably unobtanium. I think the plastic ones look okay on a race type bike like the 250R, 200X or 350X but not so much on a utility bike. Personal preference, but I may not have a choice. Right now I'm not looking for a restoration, just a running bike.

Larry Hampton
01-26-2017, 09:44 PM
Well, I haven't brought it home yet, buuuuttt, it's had what looks like to be a carb fire. It not locked up, but that tells me a little about the wiring.