PDA

View Full Version : 350x clutch wont disengage.

deerhunter64
01-21-2017, 05:55 PM
350x clutch wont disengage. I pushed the clutch pull arm all the way and clutch still won't disengage. I disassembled the clutch and can't see that anything is missing. Any ideas?

Rob Canadian
01-21-2017, 06:06 PM
Did this all of a sudden happen?

Did something happen to the mechanical lever on the side of the case?

deerhunter64
01-21-2017, 06:16 PM
Not sure as I just got it and had it rebuilt. The lever and all moves freely. This is my first time dealing with a clutch issue. Is it possible the previous owner replaced the clutch and didn't soak the plates and that causes an issue?

wonderboy
01-21-2017, 11:22 PM
All I can suggest is getting the manual (free download) and check the exploded view diagrams. Something is missing or not put together correctly.

deerhunter64
01-29-2017, 06:09 PM
So I got it all apart put a new clutch in and still won't disengage. All parts are there.this is an 85 bike but I'm told it has the 86 pull arm on. Even pushing the arm all the way it still doesn't disengage. Are the lifters different on 85 vs 86

350for350
01-29-2017, 10:54 PM
Yes I believe they are different. That's more than likely your problem.

DiamonDon
02-07-2017, 02:21 AM
Just wanted to share a link and story of stuck clutch, in case all your parts are correct.
Before sharing, please know that I agree with 350for350, that your particular case sounds like a mismatch of parts.

Do you know of the site to find your repair manuals?
http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

Maybe the parts fiche are more useful though, for comparing differences between '85 and '86 models.

Anyhow, just in case someday this thread is needed by someone dealing with a simply stuck set of clutch plates, here's a read:
https://www.thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/662274-stuck-clutch-plates-from-sitting-too-long/

My old kx80 experienced a stuck clutch from sitting (before I got the bike for $50)
It required starting the bike in neutral, then using leg power to push the bike up to a jog. Rolling at that speed, I could kick it into gear, and just rode around a bit with the clutch lever held tightly against the bars. After a couple circles in the field, the clutch slipped as it should and worked like normal.

Hope this helps, even thought I do agree that a mix of '85 and '86 parts could be the entire problem. Maybe it would be worth a test ride to verify that its not just stuck.

axeman24
02-07-2017, 06:36 PM
Just wanted to share a link and story of stuck clutch, in case all your parts are correct.
Before sharing, please know that I agree with 350for350, that your particular case sounds like a mismatch of parts.

Do you know of the site to find your repair manuals?
http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

Maybe the parts fiche are more useful though, for comparing differences between '85 and '86 models.

Anyhow, just in case someday this thread is needed by someone dealing with a simply stuck set of clutch plates, here's a read:
https://www.thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/662274-stuck-clutch-plates-from-sitting-too-long/

My old kx80 experienced a stuck clutch from sitting (before I got the bike for $50)
It required starting the bike in neutral, then using leg power to push the bike up to a jog. Rolling at that speed, I could kick it into gear, and just rode around a bit with the clutch lever held tightly against the bars. After a couple circles in the field, the clutch slipped as it should and worked like normal.

Hope this helps, even thought I do agree that a mix of '85 and '86 parts could be the entire problem. Maybe it would be worth a test ride to verify that its not just stuck.

I had the same exact experience with a 200x I rescued
It was sitting for 4 years 2 blocks from the ocean. This bike was flooded by sandy and everything
And o yah the spark plug was out
I replaced the head and resleeved the cylinder (thanks John!!!)
The oil was green no joke
I rinsed the block for months with diesel
When I got the bike running the clutch was dead stuck
I did the same pushed the bike and popped it in gear
After a few minutes of riding and working the clutch it came free.

yaegerb
02-07-2017, 08:59 PM
What does the inner hub look like? Are there indentions from the plate fingers? It could be bad enough that the steels and fibers wont glide freely over the inner hub. I would look into that next.

deerhunter64
02-10-2017, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I did have to lightly sand down the groves but I will try riding it free this weekend

350for350
02-10-2017, 10:36 PM
Even if it doesn't work, at least you still got to ride, right?